Off with stress but holiday booked

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3093 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi - I wondered if anyone could advise me.

I have been told that if you are off with work-related stress, that a pre-booked holiday abroad would a) be a good idea to go on, as it would help with the recovery process, and b) that the holiday, though taken, would not come out of any holiday entitlement if the person was signed off before the holiday took place, if the sick note covers the time before and during the holiday. Is this right? I also understand that holiday continues to be accrued whilst off sick. I have read many posts where contributors are extremely cynical about those off with stress taking a pre booked holiday, but wanted to know the legal position. Does the holiday count, if taken whilst signed off sick, or not?

Are you getting sick pay or SSP?

Is your GP prepared to write a note saying it'd be beneficial? (Or Occ Health?)

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Yes you are right.

Also you could already be on holiday and call in sick and take the remaining days at a later date.

Personally I wouldn't do this myself, I would continue with my holiday as booked and try and enjoy it the best I could and forget about claiming the days back.

I have read other posters claiming their employer took exception to them going on holiday while suffering with stress. What better tonic for stress than a break away from it all. Just don't share the details on face ache , it will get you in trouble.

My employer states they require notification if I leave the country while off sick, not sure if this is common among other employers.

Perhaps a talk with your GP and HR dept might be a good pre-emptive move, to avoid your employer getting silly later.

Send us a postcard ;-)

Arguably if you are off sick then you should still make yourself available for reasonable contact with your employer. Theoretically they should allow you to reschedule the leave, but it's not clear whether this applies if you are going abroad!

I would speak to your employer and ask their opinion.

Thanks for all responses, so fast!

I am currently getting sick pay, Emmzzi, and I am sure my doctor would agree that the holiday would be beneficial. Just can see that it would irritate an already unsympathetic employer, and was keen to get the facts before I decide what to do. Like you, smokejumper, will probably not try to reclaim, but wanted to know where I stood.

I'd therefore get a note from the doctor to confirm and *ask permission*

Majority of employers would agree the request IME

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!