NTL sent me to a DCA

datxman
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6380 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just received a letter from a DCA asking me for £309.71 for a outstanding NTL bill. I failed to pay for one months bill so they put me on a restricted service, basically putting me on incoming calls and totally cutting off my internet. However they still charged me for using the internet at full rate so I refused to pay any of the money until it was sorted out. I kept getting bills asking me for the full amount.

Anyway one day I was totally sick so I phoned up NTL and told them that I would pay but on a monthly rate until the bill was paid off. They told me that they would not be able to end my contract as I still had a outstanding bill and until that had been cleared then I would still occur these charges. In the end I won sort of as they cut me off anyway.

Should I need to pay for a service that I did not receive?:x

Datxman v Lloyds TSB 2006 ** WON** 27/2/2006

With no conditions

Datxman v Capital One 2006

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter sent - July 2006

Non-compliance letter sent - 11/09/2006

enforcement letter sent - 11/09/2006

Statements finally received - 27/09/06

Prelim Letter - sent 28/09/06 - £540

Lowell has bought the debt and I have asked them to wipe it clean due to lack of funds

Datxman v Barclaycard 2006

Won no conditions

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Time is running out for the banks :)

Were you in a contract with them (ie. this happened during your first 12 months)?

for FAQs & Step By Step

click here

for Templates Library

click here

for Court Bundle

click here

WON 121o121 'vs' LloydsTSB

here

WON 121o121 'vs' Halifax C C

here

WON 121o121 'vs' Cahoot CC

here

WON 121o121 'vs' LloydsTSB (again)

here

No I had been with them for about 7 years

Datxman v Lloyds TSB 2006 ** WON** 27/2/2006

With no conditions

Datxman v Capital One 2006

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter sent - July 2006

Non-compliance letter sent - 11/09/2006

enforcement letter sent - 11/09/2006

Statements finally received - 27/09/06

Prelim Letter - sent 28/09/06 - £540

Lowell has bought the debt and I have asked them to wipe it clean due to lack of funds

Datxman v Barclaycard 2006

Won no conditions

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Time is running out for the banks :)

Same has happened to me. With Broadband, TV and phone, my monthly bill is about £75 pcm. When I rang I was told I couldn't reduce the service to save money until I'd paid the arrears!!!. I also queried the message they put on the screen when they reduce your service which says you have not subscribed to this channel when they are still charging for that subscription!!! I queried this with OFCOM and had a less than helpful response along the lines of "you're the first person to complain about this so we can't do anything about it and won't log your call!!" How did they know I was the first person if they wouldn't log my call (or presumably anyone else's!!)?

Can any legal minds out there tell me if they(NTL) can get away with this?

And if you are in the same boat why not complain to OFCOM?

Cheers

They will probably say in the terms that changing package is a variation to the contract. If you are not allowed to block their attempts to change the terms of the contract (they will tell you that you can refuse the new terms by ending the agreement), then by the principle of reciprocity, neither are they allowed to block yours (by insisting that your package stays until the arrears are cleared). Tell them "No, seriously, change it now!" (in not so many words). If they still don't comply, write to them. You could always threaten to go elsewhere.

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

OFCOM are not consumer-facing, so forget them. NTL also forger that the charges they bill are in ADVANCE (they used to be arrears), so when they pull the plug and remove service, they're not really owed that much - if anything, therefore you are justified in not paying for the services not delivered, they will also charge you a late payment fee, but as you probably didn;t agree specifically to that either - add this to the list. Also if you don;t pay by DD, they add £4pm to your bill, claims this back too - see other threads on how to do this.

Just been through this my self, if you put it in writing that you want your services cancelled in 30 days, they can no longer charge you for services after that day, but they can chase you for money owed. Only pay the money owed if they can prove its made up of late payment charges on a service you had, not a service you didnt recieve.

BL :-)