UKPC Parking Charge

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3643 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

On 28th November 2013, I received a parking ticket for being parked in a disabled parking space without clearly displaying a valid disabled person's badge. My son is registered disabled. I took the advise from a shop employee to ignore the ticket.

Yesterday, 6th January 2014 I received a letter from UKPC advising me that I had breached the terms and conditions of parking which were clearly prominently displayed on their car park signs. According to them these terms and conditions were agreed by me when I parked on private land. The photograph of my vehicle included in their letter clearly shows that it was 5 pm and pitch black with parking displays barely visible, if at all.

They further advise that should I not pay within 28 days the outstanding debt of £80 will be forwarded to a debt recovery agency, at which point a furthercharge of £60 will apply in accordance with the terms and conditions of parking. UK Parking Control claim to have the right to seek payment as Agent of the Landowner.

Can you advise as to how I should proceed?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no such things as disabled spaces in privately owned car parks thouth there is an obligation onder the Equalities Act to make such adjustments as reasonably necessary to alow disbled people equal access to the facilities on offer so this is interpreted by council planners and the stores as having disabled spaces close to the store. Now, if they applied solely to holders of disabled badges that itself would be discriminatory as that scheme doesnt represent all types of disability so the demand by UKPCS could be considered a deliberate act of discrimination.

You could write back to them and inform them that you obeyed the instruction of the occupiers of the land and therefore their accommodation of your son's disability overrides UKPCS spurious and discriminatory claims and that you consider this an end to the matter and any further demands from them could be used in a claim against them under the EA (harassment and disability discrimination) Dont say that you were the driver as they have written to you as keeper of the vehicle.

Who should I make the call to UKPC or to the landowner. I realise it is a big ask, but could anyone assist me with regards to how I respond to UKIP/Landowner or should I just paraphrase the aforementioned comment as I will make a donation to the Forum for your help?

Do not call anyone, do everything in writing. Write to UKPCS and tell them that the car was being used by a registered disabled person and so their conditions were not breached (as said, blue badges are purely for parking on the public highway). Leave it at that for the moment and make them do the worrying. anything else should be used at an appeal to POPLA if it becomes necessary

Do I write to UKIP or the landowner and I realise it is a big ask, could anyone help with regards to how I should word my response?

I don't think Mr Farage will be of any help...

• 2 weeks later...

I wrote as you suggested on 8th January 2014 and advised UKPC that as the vehicle concerned was being used by a registered disabled person, the conditions of parking was therefore not breached.

I received what appears to be a standard "Final Reminder" stating that "despite issuing and writing to me previously we have not received payment relating to this Parking Charge and that failure of full payment within 14 days will result in UK Parking Control Ltd pursuing recovery of payment from a debt recovery agency and further threaten court proceedings, including interest and court costs.

They make no reference whatsoever with regards to the letter that I sent them. I would again appreciate your advise?

They should have given you a POPLA no. You don't need to panic that is what they want. Court !!!!! they wouldn't make it. More chance of making ice cream in hell.

Someone will assist on next move .I'm not legally trained

Oh good, a debt recovery firm. This means that they arent going to do anything and hope that you are scared into paying up. They will use Debt Recovery Plus no doubt as they are fellow mambers of the BPA. I hope that is the case as by then they will have wasted any real opportunity of chasing you for the money and it will all fade away.

Likewise the failure to give you a POPLA ref No means that they cannot take you to court because they havent followed the ACOP required by law. They would need to take their overnight bags with them if they wanted to go down that road.

Hi

I agree with everything that has been said so far.

It is the landowner or the parking company (with the landowners permission) that can take court action not this petty little debt collection agency who have no power whatsoever in collecting a debt that doesn't exist.

The landowner will have no interest in taking action as it is not in their interest to do so. UKPC may try it on but it will cost them more than they could get from you out of court so using my form of logic, they won't bother.

In other words, don't worry

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

.......And Breathe. Let them make the next move. When; If that happens, come back here more advice will be given by the experienced CAGGERS before you respond.

In the meantime, relax enjoy the weekend with your family.

Hi

I have just returned from work to find a response from UKIP which was as follows:

We understand your frustration and appreciate the inconvenience this has caused you. It is not our intention to cause undue worry and frustration when enforcing our clients parking regulations. We have investigated the appeal based on the information submitted by yourself and can confirm in this instance the Parking Charge was correctly issued for the following reason.

The bays in question on the site are reserved for disabled badge holders only. There are clear and sufficient signs warning vehicle owners/drivers that should they leave their vehicle unattended without a valid disabled badge on clear display then this could result in a Parking Charge being issued. Unfortunately, when your vehicle was photographed no such permit was on display.

If you are the holder of a disabled badge please forward a copy of both sides of the badge clearly showing your name, photograph, and the expiry date. Once we have received this information we will look into your appeal again.

On the Parking Charge issue date you our records confirmed that you were the registered keeper of the vehicle involved in the contravention.

Your Parking Charge has been on hold whilst on appeal and may be settled in full at the reduced rate of £40 provided payment is received at the above address within 14 days of the date of this letter.

Again, I would appreciate your advice.

Acting on the advice of a shop manager I ignored the initial ticket which was given on 28th November 2013. They asked for the sum of £80 or if paid within 14 days £40. UKIP are not aware that I ignored the ticket. I then received correspondence dated 30th December requesting payment of £80 and if payment was not made within 28 days they would forward the matter to a debt recovery agency and an additional charge of £60. On 8th January 2014 I forwarded a written appeal to UKIP, then on 14th January I received a Final Reminder.

I then received the aforementioned correspondence today which I documented on my last post.

Hope this clarifies the issue and does not further complicate the matter.

It seems they do not like giving out the POPLA appeal numbers so even if you did nothing, they will not go anywhere near a court as they haven't even followed procedure.

As for a DCA with a £60 charge added. Means nothing. Once Debt Recovery Plus (DR+) get involved you know that this matter is nearing the end. DR+ have absolutely no power and certainly cannot chase a non existent debt.

These letters are designed to be worrying. If you regard them as what they really are (a pile of pooh) you will be OK.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Acting on the advice of a shop manager I ignored the initial ticket which was given on 28th November 2013. They asked for the sum of £80 or if paid within 14 days £40. UKIP are not aware that I ignored the ticket. I then received correspondence dated 30th December requesting payment of £80 and if payment was not made within 28 days they would forward the matter to a debt recovery agency and an additional charge of £60. On 8th January 2014 I forwarded a written appeal to UKIP, then on 14th January I received a Final Reminder.

I then received the aforementioned correspondence today which I documented on my last post.

Hope this clarifies the issue and does not further complicate the matter.

UKPC are aware the driver ignored the windscreen ticket, because they had no response to it. They are then allowed to chase the reg keeper. You have appealed as reg keeper(?), and they have acknowledged an appeal. So they have to either give confirmation that the charge is cancelled, or give you a validation code to the independent appeals service POPLA. It can go no further 'legally' without one of these options. And you do not have to provide anymore personal details such as copies of your blue badge.

I would. You never know, they might cancel the ticket but I doubt it. They will find some other excuse but the problem is it is taking so long that the issue of a POPLA code may be out of time so if you do write back, demand a POPLA code forthwith.

The only reason to get the code is that it will cost UKPC, not you and anything that assists to their losses is to be welcomed.

I hate repeating myself but I think you are putting too much effort into worrying over this. This is a petty company that wants you to think they have some semblance of power over you. They don't!

UKPC cannot take court action unless they have the permission from the landowner. It is highly probable they don't have that permission hence the landowner will have to do it and I can say with some certainty, they won't!

Spend as long as you want reading about other parking cases or take a look around Pepipoo. You will soon see why we treat them with such contempt.

Ukpc can issue a POPLA code at any time they want. The time frame is 28 days from the issue date...

As silverfox has said, it is not worth worrying about. You have done nothing wrong...

• 2 weeks later...
Received a card through my door informing me that as I was not at home I have a letter that requires signing at the local Delivery Office. Don't intend picking it up as it will probably be from UKPC?

Well if it is they have wasted money sending something recorded delivery.

It may be from someone else...

I think it is better for you to pick the letter up so that you know what it is and can then put your mind at rest...

IF it is from UKPC, then report back and we will help you deal with it.