ESA Claim Closed due to non attendance of an appointment i knew nothing about

hm902
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3761 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

This is my first post, so please forgive me if this in the wrong place.

I was on ESA due to various health reasons, most recently losing the sight in one eye which will take several months for my cognitive functions to adjust to.

I have today received a letter saying they are closing my claim based on the events below.

I would be grateful, if anyone could advise me of any action that can be taken on the below events.

Chronology of closure of ESA claim:

6th Nov: Letter received (Dated mid October) advising me of appointment for 8th November: I called ATOS to change due to hospital appointment.

New appoint arranged for 22nd November

22nd Nov: Letter received informing me appointment was cancelled and new appointment would be issued in due course.

18th Dec: Phone call from Cosham Benefits Office demanding a reason I didn’t attend appointment on 17th Dec.

I explained That I had not been informed.

Later that day I received a voicemail (timed around 2:30) saying that this was fine and a new appointment would be issued.

19th Dec: I received a phone call saying that my reason would not be allowed. “Not knowing about an appointment is not a good enough reason to not attend”

I was informed that the cancellation letter for the 22nd November had a new appointment date on it, I disputed this fact and was told that the ATOS system clearly shows that an appointment date was issued on the letter.

I was then hung up on by the manager I was speaking to.

I attempted to ring back but only got through to the call centre, who raised a complaint on my behalf.

20th Dec: Copy of ATOS letter sent to Cosham Benefit Centre

24th Dec: Phone call from Cosham Benefit centre, manager apologised for hanging up on me and advised that my letter had not yet been received but as soon as it had someone would call me to let me know a decision. As yet I have not received this phone call.

6th Jan: Letter dated 31st December along with a P45, Stating that I will no longer be paid ESA due to my failure to attend the ATOS assessment on 16th December.

I got through to the call centre in Grimsby, who confirmed that my copy of the ATOS letter had been received, and would get local benefits office to inform why they've come to this decision

Making formal complaints about the failure of procedure is the right way to go methinks - Follow up telephone calls with written letters so that you have a paper trail. I'd also suggest contacting your MP in the hope that it will bring additional pressure.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Making formal complaints about the failure of procedure is the right way to go methinks - Follow up telephone calls with written letters so that you have a paper trail. I'd also suggest contacting your MP in the hope that it will bring additional pressure.

Thanks for the response. Is there somewhere that tells me what the correct procedure should be?