Lifestyle fitness

mittin
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3762 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I am new here and have a question about lifestyle fitness gym.

I am thinking about signing up to the 1 month membership@£24.99 a month. I dont have the money to do a year long contract so just want to take it month by month.

My membership would start on the 6th of january and the first payment would be taken on the 20th of January from my direct debit. The second payment would then be taken on the 6th of February.

Now say if I wanted to cancel after the first month, how would I go adoing it?

I am just reading their terms and conditions, and not really to sure if it makes any sense to me. Below idpart of their t&c's:

"5.The Direct Debit Payment Amount is due from you to us. You are obligated to make the "Minimum No. of Direct Debit Payments" stated

with the first one being paid on the 1st

Direct Debit Payment Date and then every month thereafter. You are obligated to make every

Direct Debit Payment regardless of non attendance, except where the cancellation terms below are met.

6.If you fail to pay any monies due under this agreement or if any Direct Debit is returned unpaid or any cheque is returned unpaid or if any

other form of payment is not honoured for whatever reason, you shall pay us on demand an administration fee of £25 (which we require

to cover our costs of seeking to pursue such payment from you).

AUTOMATIC RENEWAL

9. Once you have completed the Minimum No. Of Direct Debit Payments we will automatically continue collecting the Direct Debit Payment

Amount every month. Your membership will be extended by one month for each payment (“Renewal Period”). This renewal Direct Debit

payment amount may only be amended if we advise you in writing giving not less than 30 days notice. Please note if your membership

included the benefit of a free period then we will stop making collections during that free period and recommence making collections on

the renewal date.

10. You may prevent the Automatic Renewal at any time by giving notice to our Helpline (you should give us not less than 30 days notice).

When the final minimum period payment has been taken you should also cancel your Direct Debit mandate directly with your bank.

11. Once you have completed the Minimum Number of Direct Debit payments you can cancel your Automatic Renewal payments by

contacting our Helpline (you should give us not less than 30 days notice). After the final payment has been taken you should also cancel

your Direct Debit mandate directly with your bank.

CANCELLATION

12. Relocation: This agreement can be cancelled in the event that your new permanent address is more than 15 miles away from the facility

upon receipt of a copy utility bill or bank statement showing the new address.

13. Long term (over 3 month) illness or injury: This agreement may be cancelled in the event of an illness, injury or medical condition

which in the written opinion of a doctor or other suitably qualified medical practitioner prohibits exercise for 3 months or longer upon

appropriate proof being provided.

14. Redundancy: This agreement can be cancelled upon appropriate proof of redundancy from your employer or other loss of livelihood.

15. Pregnancy: This agreement can be cancelled if you become pregnant upon the appropriate written proof being given.

Please note – ANY Cancellation for the above reasons will not be effected until the appropriate proof is provided and received (in writing

or via email) by Harlands or the club.

16. Breach: This agreement can be cancelled if we are in breach oof contract including if we do not provide facilities or services you may

reasonably expect and we have fallen well below that standard.

Does the above T&c's above mean that after the 20th of January I have completed my first minimum payment, and therefore if I wanted to cancel I would have to phone them on that date to cancel my subscription? I am just abit wary of signing up as no where on their site do they make it clear on how to cancel unlike other gym sites like fitness first. I haseen a few posts on the internet that trying to cancel is quite hard. As I wont be on a minimum 1 year contract, will it still beb hard to cancel my if I dont want to carry on?

To cancel you have to follow their procedure.

The minimum term is 12 months sub unless you meet the criteria or have exceptional circumstances

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Yeah but I am not joining on a 12 month year long contract. I am wanting to sign upto their monthly contract.

Its no problem signing up its just that I have read Harland group are quite hard to deal with when wanting to cancel a subscription.

As its only month to month and Im not fixed into a year long contract,it shouldnt be much bother to cancel my subscription if I had to right?

Only reason im abit wary is because of those terms and conditions, and just want to clarify that my first minumum payment is on the 20th so that would mean after that date giving them 30 days notice I can cancel right?

Edited by mittin

The monthly one applies after the 12 month one has expired.

Check your contract. It will clearly state the minimum term you are signed up for.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

If you dont have a contract yet, and they say you can do a rolling monthly contract, then ask the rep to sign the part that confirms this.

This what I am signing up for. I havnt signed up yet, but this is the option avaliable to me when signing up for 1 month. I am signing up online.

About your membership

Adult Single, Fitness, Classes and Sauna Membership - 1 month minimum period. £24.99/month

Membership start date: 06 January 2014

Monthly Direct Debit payment amount: £24.99

1st Direct Debit payment date: 20 January 2014

Direct Debit payment collection day: 6th day of each month

Joining Fee: £25.00

Total first payment: £49.99

Second payment date: 06 February 2014

You are committing to a single £25.00 Joining Fee payment and £24.99 per month for a minimum of 1 months.

Ok. So its clearly a rolling contract. If you want to cancel you have to give them 30 days clear notice

Ok thanks. So that would mean after the first minumum payment is completed I could cancel? The first minimum payment is on the 20th of January.

Sorry if this sounds abit nit picky. Its just that im abit weary about signing up to a gym with no clear process about cancelling and the steps to take to canceling on their site. Other than their T&c's which i dont think anyone will read after signing up.

Edited by mittin

You need to cancel BEFORE the first monthly payment if you want to only sign up for one month. otherwise you will be liable for another months sub as well. As for not reading the t&c's, thats not the gyms fault. Thats the members fault.

I think what I am trying to ask is

my membership would start on today on the 6th of jaunary

my 1st Direct Debit payment date: 20 January 2014

Direct Debit payment collection day: 6th day of each month

Second payment date: 06 February 2014

according to the t&c's I have to make the first payment as a minimum which would be the 20th of january. Now what date would I have to cancel if the second payment goes out on the 6th of february. I mean I cannot cancel my direct debit before the 20th because that would mean I havnt made my first minimum payment, and if i cancel after the 20th it would mean im subscirbed to another month if the next payment is taken on the 6th of February right?

If you are that worried, and no contract has been signed? Why not wait till 6th feb and see what the online app form says then? Lifestyle fitness DD dates are always near the start of the month. Or, you can simply walk into to any centre and ask one of the people who work there for clarification.

I'm with lifestyle fitness as well, but only pay £19.99 a month for all inclusive. My DD comes out anytime from 1-3rd of the month.

You said you havent signed anything yet. Just pop into the centre that you want to join and ask them. There is no obligation to join, and if you dont like what they say, simply say " no thanks". And walk out.

Hi Mittin,

You're right to be wary with Harlands as they can be a nightmare to deal with.

Do NOT rely on anything the gym staff tell you about memberships. They often don't know and/or don't care about the T&C's that apply to m/ships. All they care about is signing you up.

Read any T&C's carefully to make sure you know exactly what you're signing up for.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)