Struck out of court.

Evolution70
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3624 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can someone please tell me what struck out of court actually means?

Last summer I bought a motorbike frame,

I received it and it was the wrong one,

I told the company and they said send it back and we will refund you and your postage,

I sent it back to the address on the invoice they provided with the item,

Couple days later the bike shows up back at my house as it was refused delivery,

I e mail the person and they said that that's not their address anymore and they have moved and that they hadn't updated their stationary.

they gave me their new address I sent it back,

They said they had received it ok, and that they would refund me,

a week passed I e mailed again,

a week later they replied saying please give us your bank details,

then another week passed saying they lost them,

weeks and weeks had passed and I had gotten fed up by now

I went to a small claims court.

That took a few months,

I even posted in all the e mails and my postage receipts to the courts for evidence.

Then after a few months of all this,

I got a letter saying ''stuck out of court''

what does this mean?

and where can I go from here?

Thank you kindly

What exactly did the order say? When a case is struck out there's usually a recital to the order explaining why. It should begin with "Upon" for example "Upon the Claimant not paying the hearing fee" so you know what happened.

If a claim is struck out it has been brought to an end but not usually because a judge has considered it without merit, cases tend to be struck out because of a technical or procedural defect such as no one attending a hearing or an order not being complied with.

You can make an application for relief under CPR r 3.9 which, if successful, brings the case back to life. The Rule has recently changed though to make such applications more difficult but have a look at the Rule and post back.

Thanks for your replies guys..

Just looked and it says ''Upon neither party attending''

I didn't even get asked to go, and the courts are 2 doors down from my house. Also a pervious letter I received months back said that when it goes to the court neither party has to go. (I think) so I posted in my evidence months ago.

I thought going to a small claims court would solve the matter, The motor bike shop even admitted that they owe me the money to them.

Where can I go from here???

Thank you for your help

Regards

We dont know why it was struck out as we havnt got the paperwork, you have. You answered the question, it apoeared there was a hearing but no one attended, if its only a few doors away then you could pop in and enquire why, as above you can apply for the strike out to be set aside, youll have to show a good reason, it appears some paperwork has gone astray.

Google is your friend.. For every CPR there is normally an accompanying practise direction which gives practical steps, these are all available online.> http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part03

Eerr..If no-one attends then the court will think maybe its been settled or that you dont care, it is sometimes possible to not attend and let court know first but not advisable.

Thanks for your reply guys., Really helpful as this is all new to me

I will be visiting the court this week, hopefully they can shed some light, I fear I may just get to meet the sectary and get turned away.

one last thing, what exactly is the CPR r 3.9?, and how do I try to get one?, is it a form I download, fill in and send to the courts?..

And if all else fails, should I start another case open? or would it be best to just forget about the whole thing

Once again, Thank you

Right got you, Thank you very much..

My reason being for not attending (which I presume is the reason the case got struck out) is that I never got a court date to attend, via the post, or a phone call or anything. Is that a valid reason to apply for the strike out to be set aside?

I went to the court today, but couldn't speak to anyone as they are 10-2 and I went after work at 4pm, I shall visit on my lunch hour tomorrow.

Thank you for your help

Right got you, Thank you very much..

My reason being for not attending (which I presume is the reason the case got struck out) is that I never got a court date to attend, via the post, or a phone call or anything. Is that a valid reason to apply for the strike out to be set aside?

I went to the court today, but couldn't speak to anyone as they are 10-2 and I went after work at 4pm, I shall visit on my lunch hour tomorrow.

Thank you for your help

I would say so yeah.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, bit of an update, I got my form and have filled it all in ready to send, but im stuck on what or how I should word what goes under ''what order are you asking the court to make and why?'' any help would be great thank you very much

Just be mindful of CPR 3.6

(1) A party against whom the court has entered judgment under rule 3.5 may apply to the court to set the judgment aside.

(2) An application under paragraph (1) must be made not more than 14 days after the judgment has been served on the party making the application.

As you first posted here on the 5th of Jan your application is going to be filed with the court out of time.

However, I'm not convinced CPR 3.5 applies in this case because I read it as being relevant only when judgment has being entered into as a consequence of one party not complying and the other applying for judgment as a consequence. I imagine that as neither party attended the whole case was struck out rather than judgment having been given in favour of your opponent although your earlier post is silent on this.

If this is the case then there is no actual judgment to be set aside and that a simple Relief from Sanctions Application under CPR 3.9 is preferred requesting that the whole case be re-instated for the reasons given. A Relief from Sanctions Application is not limited to being made within 14 days either.

Just be mindful of CPR 3.6

(1) A party against whom the court has entered judgment under rule 3.5 may apply to the court to set the judgment aside.

(2) An application under paragraph (1) must be made not more than 14 days after the judgment has been served on the party making the application.

As you first posted here on the 5th of Jan your application is going to be filed with the court out of time.

However, I'm not convinced CPR 3.5 applies in this case because I read it as being relevant only when judgment has being entered into as a consequence of one party not complying and the other applying for judgment as a consequence. I imagine that as neither party attended the whole case was struck out rather than judgment having been given in favour of your opponent although your earlier post is silent on this.

If this is the case then there is no actual judgment to be set aside and that a simple Relief from Sanctions Application under CPR 3.9 is preferred requesting that the whole case be re-instated for the reasons given. A Relief from Sanctions Application is not limited to being made within 14 days either.

Thats my interpetation too, if the other side had shown up he could of got default judgement but as neither side did, it was struck out.

• 3 months later...

Hi guys

Just a quick update, I send in the form and they wrote back to me asking for some evidence so I took it into them and they send me a new date for a hearing.

Just a few questions, Ive given my evidence into the court by hand so that means I don't have to take another copy with me or do I?

The 80 I spent, can I get that added to the claim or is that on me?

Will the other party involved of been issued papers to come along also?

Thank you kindly