• Tweets

• What's the reason for not wanting a smart meter? Personally I'm saving a pile on a tariff only available with one. Today electricity is 17.17p/kWh. If the meter is truly past its certification date the supplier is obliged to replace it. If you refuse to allow this then eventually they'll get warrant and do so by force. Certified life varies between models and generations, some only 10 or 15 years, some older types as long as 40 years or maybe even more. Your meter should have its certified start date marked somewhere so if you doubt the supplier you can look up the certified life and cross check.
    • No I'm not. Even if I was then comments on this forum wouldn't constitute legal advice in the formal sense. Now you've engaged a lawyer directly can I just make couple of final suggestions? Firstly make sure he is fully aware of the facts. And don't mix and match by taking his advice on one aspect while ploughing your own furrow on others.  Let us know how you get on now you have a solicitor acting for you.
    • Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Lowell/BW claim form old Lloyds Tsb current joint account

yamamoto
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3625 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HI,

I'm after a little advice on the following and where i stand etc.

This all relates to a Lloyds bank account held between 2001 and 2008

In 2006 i attempred to get back approx £5k worth of charges from Lloyds

- i never took it to court as i could not afford the initial court fees at the time

so only went as far as issuing a letter before action ti which i got the general "go away" letter back from Lloyds.

sometime between 2007 and 2008 lloyds allowed me to go overdrawn and this spiralled out of controll

- when they closed the accoung in 2008 i was £1100 overdrawn and

this was mainly due to unplanned overdraught fees and interest etc

- the initial figure that hiad actually gone overdrawn by was only £100 or so

but with wages not covering the excess fully each month it soon shot up to the £1100 figure.

between 2008 and 2012

i had letters from lloyds and various debt collection agencies trying to get it back

- my reply was always that the figure was made up of excessive charges and i welcomed them to take me to court

so that i could conterclaim on account of the charges from the overdraught AND the previous 5k of charges from 2001 - 2006

- they never took it as far as any kind of court action and was generally just a long line of threat-o-grams.

In June 2013 the alleged debt was SOLD to lowel finance and

i told them that i didnt recognise the debt as it was made up of charges dating back to 2001 (explained the whole thing to them) and

they needed to prove that i owed the money.

in December 2013 they finally got back to me with their "proof" that the debt was owed

and this was in the form of a years worth of statements between 2007 and 2008.

So a couple of questions ...

1 - What else can i do to delay and ask for more evidence

- A statement of account surely just shows what went in and out of the account etc

and doesnt nessasarily show that X is owed, why its owed, how its made up etc ( or does it and is it enough ? )

- should there be a CCA or similar ?

2 - The last entry on the statement when the account was closed was march 2008

- will this become statute barred in March 2014 ?

or would it become statute barred earlier

- for example when i originally went in to unplanned overdraught

- or maybe later when they first sent a default notice ?

3 - and finally

- do i actually have ANY kind of defence with my stance that the majority of the amount owed was from unplanned overdraught fees

and that that i may have a counterclaim for unfair fees going back to 2001 ?

Any help would be appreciated

D

i'm sure if Lloyds could have taken you to court via their solicitors - SCM

they would have done.

that speaks volumes.

how have you been communicating with lowlife?

not by phone I hope.

i'd knock up a spreadsheet

at the OD int rate

showing what you would use to counterclaim.

CISheet v101.xls

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

1st off... the case of unfair penalty fees etc only applies to Penalties...

As you might know in 2009 there was a court case for this and the court ruled in the Banks favour here.

Could you please post up the letter that they sent back with the statements? remove all personal info.

A CCA agreement doesnt apply to the bank account but the overdraft it does.

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

thanks both,

DX100uk - contact has been a mixture of letters and phone over the years.

I am of the same opinion re lloyds taking me to court and in the past

i had hoped they would of taken me to court so i could of counter claim

but with the court finding in the banks favour i fear that boat may of passed.

Fkofile

All the letter states is as follows:

we write in respect of the above debt which we have purchased from lloyds.

We would advise that after lloyds removed the account from their systems,

interest or charges were applied to the account which wiil not be shown on the enclosed statement.

We have confirmed with the original creditor that the outstanding balance is correct after these have been added to the account.

We are now entitled to receive payment of the balance of £11XX.XX from you and enclose a copy of your statement as requested.

please kindly make payment of the outstanding debt blah blah blah

that was sent mid december and since then ive had two "you have not contacted us" threat letters.

I have had no other proof what so ever, cca or otherwise.

from looking at the the original letters and statements it seems that after going over drawn they gave me an overdraft of £250

- anything over that is made up of overdraft excess fees which vary between £30 and £165 a month

and overdraft interest which at its greatest is a sum of £12

Thats complete bull they have sent... Just sending statements saying there is "Account Usage"! Thats not on...

You need them to provide you proof of the balance actually getting to that stage... I would personally send a response saying

"Hiya twitts...

Thanks for the useless info, you havent complied with what i asked you!

Send it otherwise nothing is going to happen"

Lowell are getting desperate... I can feel it with this one.

Give them one final warning to provide proof as what they have given you is clearly not.

It shows random account usage from a selected period.... Thats not right for claiming you "OWE" a debt,

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Thats complete bull they have sent... Just sending statements saying there is "Account Usage"! Thats not on...

You need them to provide you proof of the balance actually getting to that stage... I would personally send a response saying

"Hiya twitts...

Thanks for the useless info, you havent complied with what i asked you!

Send it otherwise nothing is going to happen"

Lowell are getting desperate... I can feel it with this one.

Give them one final warning to provide proof as what they have given you is clearly not.

It shows random account usage from a selected period.... Thats not right for claiming you "OWE" a debt,

thanks - thats what i thought to be honest

Well think about it, if were given a receipt, it legally has to have a breakdown of what was bought with individual prices, and then the total etc etc...

Same thing with this... Its like an invoice for £1100... But you cant see how the £1100 came about, they've just given you a random figure.

You need proof of those transactions which made the balance £1100!

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

In theory, yes you can...

Overdrafts come under section 10 of the Consumer Credit Act.

10.—(1) For the purposes of this Act—

(a) running-account credit is a facility under a personal credit agreement whereby

the debtor is enabled to receive from time to time (whether in his own person, or

by another person) from the creditor or a third party cash, goods and services (or

any of them) to an amount or value such that, taking into account payments

made by or to the credit of the debtor, the credit limit (if any) is not at any time

exceeded; and

(b) fixed-sum credit is any other facility under a personal credit agreement whereby

the debtor is enabled to receive credit (whether in one amount or by

instalments).

(2) In relation to running-account credit, " credit limit" means, as respects any period,

the maximum debit balance which, under the credit agreement, is allowed to stand on

the account during that period, disregarding any term of the agreement allowing that

maximum to be exceeded merely temporarily.

(3) For the purposes of section 8(2), running-account credit shall be taken not to

exceed the amount specified in that subsection (" the specified amount") if—

(a) the credit limit does not exceed the specified amount; or

(b) whether or not there is a credit limit, and if there is, notwithstanding that it

exceeds the specified amount,—

(i) the debtor is not enabled to draw at any one time an amount which, so far as

(having regard to section 9(4)) it represents credit, exceeds the specified

amount, or

(ii) the agreement provides that, if the debit balance rises above a given

amount (not exceeding the specified amount), the rate of the total charge for

credit increases or any other condition favouring the creditor or his associate

comes into operation, or

(iii) at the time the agreement is made it is probable, having regard to the

terms of the agreement and any other relevant considerations, that the debit

balance will not at any time rise above the specified amount.

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

so can you ask for a CCA and send the general cca request letter in relation to Over draughts ?

No its not applicable to Current Accounts/Overdrafts.

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

They are exempt except for Part V.

1.1 What is covered by the s74 determination?

A determination under s74(3) was made by the OFT with effect from 1 February 1990. It applies to d-c agreements enabling the debtor to overdraw on a current account, under which the creditor is a ‘bank’ as defined in the Bankers’ Books Evidence Act 1879, provided that certain conditions are satisfied – see Q1.5.

A separate determination was made in respect of certain agreements connected with the death of a person.

Copies of the determinations may be obtained from the OFT.

Agreements covered by a s74(3) determination, and satisfying the relevant conditions, are exempt from most Part V rules including s61(1) on execution. However, the Agreements Regulations will apply to any document embodying such an agreement, and to any term expressed in writing – see Q1.2.

1.2 Are all bank overdrafts exempt?

The s74 determination in respect of bank overdrafts (see Q1.4) applies subject to the following conditions:

· the creditor must inform the OFT in writing of his general intention to enter into such agreements;

· the debtor must be informed, at or before the time an agreement is concluded, of the following:

o the credit limit (if any)

o the annual rate of interest and any charges applicable, and the conditions under which these may be varied

o the procedure for terminating the agreement;

· the above information must be confirmed in writing.

Furthermore, where a debtor overdraws a current account with the tacit agreement of the creditor, and the account remains overdrawn for more than three months, the creditor must inform the debtor in writing not later than seven days after the end of that period of the annual rate of interest and any charges applicable.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

where do i stand on the statute barred side of things ? Can an overdraght become statute barred and if so what would activate the start of the 6 years ?

i realise i may have to pay this but ive always felt that lloyds reluctance to take it to court despite them and many DCA's threatening it meant i did have something in my favour or something was amiss so anything i can do to frustrate or delay - especially as its been sold to lowell would be handy lol

You don't do anything...ignore until you receive a claim form then challenge it.

Andy

You don't do anything...ignore until you receive a claim form then challenge it.

Andy

if it was facebook that would be a big thumbsup lol

i shall keep reading the forum and see what happens re lowell then and report back when i hear again

cheers for advice everyone

• 3 months later...

BIt of an update,

had the dreaded court summons from Northampton today

- Lowel still havent sent me any other proof other than a partial copy of statements

and its my wife that is named on the court papers and that has had all the hassle from Lowels

but it was a joint account

- so should lowel be dealing with both of us or can they just chose to take on partner to court ?

any help and advice gladly received thanks

HI - just a quick question relating to a debt that is both mine and my partners name ( joint bank account overdraft).

the DCA is only chasing my wife - and she is the only one named on the court summons - is this ok or should it be both of us as it was a joint account ?

• Confused 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Details as requested in link above :

Name of Claimant - Lowell Portfolio I ltd

Date of Issue - 15th April 2014

POC - This claim is for 1191.XX the amount due under an agreement between the original creditor and the defendant to provide finance and / or goods.

This debt was assigned to / purchased by Lowell Portfolio I ltd on XX/07/2013 and notice served pursuant to the law of property act 1925.

Particulars RE Lloyds Acc no XXXXXXXXX

And tthe claimant claims 1191.XX

The claimant also claims interest pursuant to S69 County court acs 1984 from XX/07/2013 to date at 8% per annum amounting to £74.44

value of the claim - £total amount is £1411.XX which is made up of amount claimed £1266.XX + Court fee £65 and solicitors cost £80

Claim is for charges on an overdraft

When did you enter into the original agreement before or after 2007? - unknown as lowell will only provide us with bank statements between 2007 and 2008 which only show overdraft charges being added and do not show a paticular date of going overdrawn or using an overdraft

Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim. - No issued by Lowell but originally a lloyds overdraft

Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? - YEs aware - interestingly - the notice of assignment letter says it was sold to lowells in 06/13 - the notice was recieved by us in 09/13 and the particulars of claim on court papers say they brought it in 07/13

Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? unknown

Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Default sums” – at least once a year ? not to my knowledge

Why did you cease payments:- as first post in thread - it was the time when the bank charges were going through courts and we stopped putting money into bank account as charges were becoming unmanageable

Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved? Bank charges dispute from 2006 ish

Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt managementicon plan? yes to first part and NO to second

hope that helps ?

Either party can be sued ...joint or separately as the debt is joint and several.

Andy

• Confused 1

It was my understanding if a debt is in joint names then the claim should be issued in joint names. At the same time however, they are allowed to pursue you together or individually.

Who was the first named on the account ?

Your timeline is as follows..

Issue date 15 April + 5 days for service = 18 April + 14 days to acknowledge claim = 02 May + 14 days to submit defence = 16 May 2014.

You need to send hte following letter to the solicitor named on the claim form in order to obtain any documents that are mentioned in the claim form.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387483-LEGAL-CPR-31.14-Request-when-Claim-is-being-made-for-a-Current-Account(1-Viewing)-nbsp

Send by recorded delivery mail

• Confused 1

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Make sure you use the correct CPR 31 .... the one for overdrafts.

• 2 weeks later...

Had the following letter back in reply to the cpr request:

We write further to your letter dated blah blah

We confirm the claim form was issued by the XX county court bulk centre and the courts protocol was followed when issuing the claimants particulars of claim. Practice direction 7c point 1.4 (3a) eliminates the requirment to attach the documents to the particulars of claim when they are issued by this court.

We confirm this matter will most properly be allocated to the small claims ctrack as this is a simple contractual matter and part 31 of the civil procedure rules will therefore not apply. in any event the notice of default and assignment left the control of the claimant when they were dispatched to you.

It i the original creditors policy to issue agreements at the start of the contract and statements throughout the duration of the agreements and, in this regard, we ask you to refer to your own records.

We confirm our client is not agreeable to an extension for filing your defence.

We confirm we are in receipt of your acknowledgment of service. Please respond to the claim using the response pack provided by the court. Comply with the deadlines to avoid a default judgement being entered

we reccomemnd you seek independant legal advice

Yours sincerely

So i get from that that either they have not got all the correct paperwork or they are just frustrating matters in the hope i give in

So what next then ?