style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2662 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dear forum members,

I am wondering what sort of national and/or European transport regulations apply to Eurotunnel.

Following a delay of around 1h30 on a Eurotunnel train recently (on a journey of 30 minutes), I complained to the customer service by comparing the service that we experienced to the transport rules stated by Regulation 1371/2007 (regulation on rail passengers' rights and obligations).

Although I did obtain a (small) compensation, the customer service states that Regulation 1371/2007 doesn't apply to Eurotunnel.

For any future Eurotunnel problem, I would like to know whether this statement is true, and if it is then what are the transport regulations they need to stick to?

I have been searching for the answer of course but can not find anything.

The Eurostar website does mention it but not the Eurotunnel's one.

Thank you in advance.

Depends where the delay occurs, in the UK... It's the above regulation... Abroad it's the respective country.

However I would complain to the head office of the company in question and let them deal with a complaint.

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

When the European regulation on rail passengers' rights and obligations applies, I don't think that the delay has to happen in UK. European regulations cover a transport from or to a European location.

Of course you can complain to the company. But in this modern world where money drives everything, the customer is the one who needs to know the rules to defend its rights. As American people say, know your rights!

• 4 weeks later...

As I didn't find a definitive answer on the above question, I have asked it to the UK Office of Rail Regulation (ORR). This will be useful for passengers who experience problems with Eurotunnel services and wish to complain.

Thank you for your email of 31 December 2013 regarding delays experienced on Eurotunnel’s Le Shuttle service and Regulation 1371/2007 on rail passenger rights and obligations.

The Office of Rail Regulation (ORR) is the independent safety and economic regulator for Britain’s Railways. We regulate Network Rail and aim to promote continuous improvement in safety, performance and efficiency of the railways so that it better meets the needs of users (including passengers) and taxpayers. We enforce competition law in relation to the provision of services relating to the railways and also have powers to enforce some consumer law in the railway sector.

We monitor complaints and can take action where we have evidence of harm to the collective interests of consumers but, in general, we do not intervene in individual complaints.

Regulation 1371/2007/EC on rail passengers’ rights and obligations, which entered into force on 3 December 2009, includes obligations relating to refunds, compensation and assistance in the case of delay or cancellation.

Article 2 of this Regulation provides that the Regulation “does not apply to railway undertakings and transport services which are not licensed under Directive 95/18/EC”.

Article 1(2) of Directive 95/18/EC (transposed in the UK by the Railway (Licensing of Railway Undertakings) Regulations 2005) contains an exemption from the scope of the Directive for “shuttle services transporting road vehicles through the Channel Tunnel”. This means that Regulation 1371/2007 does not apply to Eurotunnel.

The established means for dealing with individual passenger complaints is to contact the relevant service provider in the first instance, in order to give it a chance to address your concerns. Therefore, if you have not already done so, you should contact Eurotunnel in writing with your complaint at:

Customer Relations Team

Eurotunnel

UK Terminal

Ashford Road

Folkestone

CT18 8XX

Email: [email protected] (marked for the attention of the Customer Relations Team).

If you are not happy with Eurotunnel’s response, the Department for Transport (DfT) is responsible for Eurotunnel’s concession agreement and we suggest that you could pursue the matter with the DfT, at:

Alistair Hobbs

Correspondence Manager

Department for Transport

Rail Commercial

Zone 4/12 Great Minster House

76 Marsham Street

London

SW1P 4DR

Email: [email protected]

Yours sincerely,