very.co.uk - is this ethical

mickrick

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3043 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was looking for a case as a present for my dad, to go along with the iPad my mum bought him for Christmas.

It was literally last minute, and when I saw one I knew he would like (and not cheap at that) on very.co.uk

with "guaranteed next day delivery until 10pm on 23rd December" I decided to order it.

Like many other online retailers I was asked to create an account before I could proceed with my purchase.

And this is where my concern started.

Instead of proceeding to a screen where I could enter my card details or, better still, my paypal details,

I was instead taken to a screen where I was told I had just been given £1000 store credit.

WHAT?

I wanted to buy an iPad case as a one off. I have no intention of spending anywhere near a thousand pounds with Very.

I am still very shocked at this underhand method at getting unsuspecting people to take out credit they do not want.

We've just been through over a decade of this type of malarkey and I thought it had all been knocked on the head

since. I, like many others, had fallen into this type of trap in the past and I am only now starting to come out the other end.

I wasn't told in advance that this would happen, nor was I given any terms and conditions to sign up to.

I wasn't even given the option to pay for the case up front,

I have to wait until the first statement arrives.

At that point I will pay the lot in full and forget about it.

But what about people who aren't as strong willed as me.

They might see £1000 flashing up on the screen and blow the lot leaving themselves in even deeper debt.

Surely there has to be some sort of rule broken here, perhaps it is even illegal.

Anyone else here care to comment?

I meant to add,

in the end the case wasn't delivered the next day.

I got an email saying it would be delivered in 10-21 days

and only arrived yesterday despite paying a premium for next day delivery.

Hi mick,

I came across the same problem when MW was buying a new dress.

She gave her card details but, instead of taking the payment in full, she was informed she now had a grand to spend on their products.

We were outraged as nothing in the process suggested they would set up a catalogue a/c and she certainly did not want this. The dress was returned and that was an end to the matter.

I would make a complaint to Consumer Direct and they will pass it on the Trading Standards if appropriate.

In your particular case, you should demand a refund of the amount paid for Next Day Delivery and compensation for the disappointment caused by the failure to deliver as guaranteed.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 1 month later...

I know this is about a month late, but I wanted to follow up on the issues you have been having with very. I too think the way they handle the accounts is extremely unethical.

I tried to buy some items from very.co.uk website and I wanted to use just one of the very voucher codes of which there are any number of them advertised on voucher sites all over the web. However every one I tried on my order came up as invalid. Why? Well not because they were out of date, but because I had ignored their blatant pushing me to open a credit account but plumped for one-off payment instead!!

It seems like very are all for encouraging customers to go into debt so they could receive up to 50% discounts on their orders - this is just plain wrong!

I emailed them to ask why and got a rude response from a customer support person who said all of their vouchers were for credit accounts only. Not what Very representatives spout on their twitter site! I entered into a fruitless conversation there as well, because they insisted they DID offer voucher codes for cash accounts, but that you had to be singled out by the marketing team first in order to get one! When I asked whether they could send me one, I got no response. Surprise surprise.

I finally spoke to Citizens Advice about Very inciting customers to purchase with promotions and enticing them to part with their personal details before they realised they weren't eligible for the promotion! Whilst it isn't illegal for them to single out a particular audience for favourable rates, Very have to advertise this to the customer in their voucher terms and conditions. They now have all my details on file to sell on to other companies, and I haven't even had the benefit of buying a discounted item in order to get it.

Hi GennyJane and welcome to CAG

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)