• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Some advice needed please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3329 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am looking for some advice on how to go about making full and final offers to my creditors.

I am currently on a debt management plan with baines and ernst.

I have seven creditors totaling £ 31k and according to my plan and what i can afford to pay this will not be completed until 2027!

Here is a list of them-

1) Lewis Bradford (Bank of Scotland loan) £ 16600

2) Capital One credit card £ 6500

3) RBS (Mint credit card) £ 2900

4) Apex credit management ( Barclay credit card ) £ 2600 They have offered a 40% reduction for full and final.

5) Idem Capital ( Bos overdraft ) £ 810

6) Westcot Credit ( Bos overdraft ) £ 950 They have offered 25% reduction for full and final

7) C L Finance £ 540 They have offered 15% reduction for full and final

I cant afford to offer them all at once but was going to go for the smallest ones first.

I have a few questions if someone could answer them for me please.

1. Only C L Finance are keeping my credit file up to date.

Its says on it A.P.

Do i pay them so it cleans up my credit report,

I was hoping to get my file cleaned up in order to get a better mortgage deal.

2. The only default i have is the Capital One.

The default is due to drop off in october this year.

Should i pay them before it drops off then there will be no history of it .

Thanks for your help

Max

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Max, and welcome to CAG! :-)

All companies have to be dealt with differently and some are easier than others.

If credit cards have unenforceable agreements it is easier to negotiate a better full and final settlement.

I am not an expert on loans but some agreements apparently were not drawn up correctly. When did you take it out?

When did you take out the Capital One card?

When did you take out the Mint card?

When did you take out the Barclaycard, and was it always a Barclaycard? Or was it something else, like Goldfish for example, first? Apex are offering a pretty large discount on that so they may be aware that they don't have an enforceable agreement.

Are these two separate overdrafts with BoS? Or two DCAs chasing the same debt with different charges added?

What is the CL Finance debt for?

If you go for full and final settlements you must insist that they remove the defaults on the credit files.

DD

quite honestly i'd be dumping the fee paying DMP

its costs you MONEY in fees

there are numerous FREE DMP providers.

as for cap 1

no point really

it will VANISH from you cra file on the defaults 6th birthday

NEVER to return.

if a debthas aready gone off your CRA file per above

theres NO RUSH to pay it off at all.

they cant hurt your credit rating anymore.

i'd be dumping B&E and paying your creditors

get some of that money in your pocket for the mortgage.

I hope at some point

you are B&E have sent CCA requests to all your creditors

and CHECKED whom you pay are LEGALLY ENTITLED to even get money off of you?

sadly you cant CCA bank account

but i'd still question their legally to receive ANYTHING from you.

ever thought of PPI reclaiming too?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi DD and Dx

Thanks for the replys,

All my debts are at least 7 years old as i have been with B & E that long !!!

I have some PPI on my egg card but apart from that nothing else, i will be claiming it back hopefully.

The debt CL Finance are claiming is for a store card.

I was thinking off getting this paid off as it is being updated every month on my credit file as arrange to pay. If i get this paid off will it help my score ??

Can someone please answer this question, what happens when i finally pay off a debt but isnt on my credit report when i pay it off will it appear when settled.

The reason i ask is when i send offers for full and fina settlementsl i have read you MUST ask them to mark fully satisfiedon your credit file but it doesnt appear on my file

I hope this makes sence

Thanks again

Max

if its not on your CRa file

no point in F&F

it is not harming you.

you been with B&E 7yrs

god they made £1000's out of you.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

as for the AP marker

unless the AP account has been defaulted

THEY WILL NEVER GO AWAY for 6yrs from entry.

you REALLY need to complain that

as they SHOULD HAVE DONE

B&E should have gotten the debt defaulted

when you started with them

you need to complain to the ICO about these AP markers

and there not being a default when you reduced payments.

dx

and they

As some of the debts are over seven years I am wondering if they could have been defaulted and have now fallen off?

You can have debts marked as satisfied but that still shows that you didn't pay off the full amount. Part of the negotiation for a F&F should be that they remove the default completely, otherwise it's not going to speed up the removal.

Do let me know about the credit cards.

DD

Hi and thanks for the replys

I have had the Capital one card from around 2005

Egg from 2002 i had ppi on this from 2002 for 31 months

and Mint from 2006..

I was going offer Westcot 50% full and final IF they remove ALL the a.p,s completely off my record.

What do you guys think

Thanks again

Max

Hi,

The Capital One card may not have an enforceable agreement. You should write to them and ask for a copy of the alleged credit agreement.

Mint - I don't know much about Mint cards. Do a search on the site and see what you can find out about their enforceability. As it's pre-2007 it may not be enforceable.

Egg - again, I don't know much about these cards but there are loads of threads and I gather they may not be enforceable. Again, do a CAG search.

For both Egg and Mint you should also write asking for a copy of the alleged credit agreement.

If Wescot is just for the BoS overdraft and you can settle for 50% and they remove the markers that might be the right thing to do.

DD

Hi and thanks again.

Capitol one and egg are not with DCA does that mean they are not enforcable. If some of my debt is not enforcable what excatly does that mean. Sorry for being stupid but surely i will have to pay them back.

Also the DCA who is killing my credit report is CL Finance, sorry i got mixed up with westcot, do you think i have a chance of getting the ap,s of my report

And what will happen if i dump Baines and Ernst will all the hassle start again with phone calls start up again.

Thanks again for your help

Max

There is nothing Baines & Ernst can do that you can't do for yourself.

You will have to deal with phone calls, but we can help you with that.

First rule of CAG, don't ever speak to them on the phone. If they harass you write to them and warn them off. We can help with that too.

If agreements are not enforceable you are in a stronger position to negotiate a F&F.

You may not necessarily have to pay them back, but you will have to argue your case.

They then can take you to court if they think they will win, or you may be able to get them to write off the debt if you are strong enough and have the right arguments.

However, that is not easy so if you are armed with the fact that they don't have an enforceable agreement they will probably be more willing to negotiate.

Capital One and Egg are not with DCAs because you are still paying them. If they fail to provide enforceable agreements you can stop paying them, but you have to be willing to face the flak.

We can't advise on the store card with CL finance unless you let us know which store card.

DD

Hi

So the next thing i should be doing is CCA ing them all and see what comes off it ???

I am going to claim back my PPI on the egg card tomorrow.

To be honest with you i just want all my debt paid off with as less hassle as possible as my wife and i have had too many sleepless nights !!!

As i have said i cant afford to do them all at once so i was going to start with the lowest and take it from there. How much do you think i should offer them as F & F,s.

thanks for your help

Max

Sorry, I missed this.

Yes, send off the CCA letters. Let's see what they have got before you offer anything. It's only worth claiming back the PPI on the Egg card if it will wipe out a large percentage of the balance. Otherwise it could be said you are acknowledging the debt. Better to wait until you get a response to your CCA letter.

DD

Hi and thanks for replying

I am really greatful for your advise

You say dont claim the ppi if it wont cover the hole debt as i may acknoledge the debt. But i have been paying them every month for at least seven years through B & E.

I get a statement from Mint and C L Finance every month showing my amount due and there is no interest being charge. To be fair i aint getting any interest charged on any off the account.

So this is what am thinking and any advice would be greatful

I am going to do one debt at a time, the first one being CL Finance as its the lowest.The balance is currently £ 533 and they are getting £5 per month

My plan is to CCA them ( but not quite sure on how to word/do this properly). Then see what comes back then hopefully get them sorted as i say from 2009 every month on my credit report they have put AP on my file which i assume is not good on my file. They are the only debt still doing this.

And also if the others are not on my report can they appear if and when i get them settled

Thanks again for your help, I feel good about finally starting the long road to getting out of debt

Max

Hi

As i have said Apex Credit have offered 40 % off as a full and final this was my Egg credit card and i think Barclays took over Egg. So do you think they are offering me the discount as they know there is PPI to claim or does it not affect them as they have bought the debt, hope that makes sence

Max

Yes, but if you find out that the agreement is unenforceable or they don't supply an agreement at all then you have every reason to stop paying them, and instead you can offer them a low F&F which will also take into consideration the reclaim on the PPI.

There is an example of a CCA request letter in the CAG library. However, I personally don't use this as it just means they can send you a reconstituted copy. I send a letter just asking for a copy of the alleged signed credit agreement relating to the account.

If their response is to send a reconstituted agreement and T&Cs we can write back again and I will tell you what to say.

However, do use the CAG one if you are happier with that.

You might as well send off the letters for the credit card companies. Knowledge is power and will help negotiations.

You need to send £1 with each request and it's better to send a postal order. You must state in the letter that the £1 is only to be used as payment for the CCA request and it is not to be used as a payment towards the account.

If you make F&F settlements the debts would usually appear on your credit reports as "satisfied" which indicates they haven't been paid off in full. However, you can also argue that for the F&F they have to remove the references from the credit reports. They don't like doing that, but it's been known to happen.

DD

Hi

As i have said Apex Credit have offered 40 % off as a full and final this was my Egg credit card and i think Barclays took over Egg. So do you think they are offering me the discount as they know there is PPI to claim or does it not affect them as they have bought the debt, hope that makes sence

Max

As I didn't have an Egg card I have not been following those threads, but I'm pretty certain that some agreements aren't enforceable. DCAs usually offer discounts if they know that.

You need to see what they have got before making an offer.

Thanks for the prompt reply

So i will send all off my crediters a CCA requset even though Two off them have not been sold to a DCA ??

So in your opinion what are my chances of getting CL Finance to remove all the negative things on my report or as DX says will i have to raise a complaint saying a default should have occured when i fell six months behind and by now would have fell of my report or close to it ??

do these debts SHOW on your CRA file?

dx

and they

might be better to start a thread for each 'debt' in the named original creditors forum.

you also need to dump B&E

they've done you no favours

dx

and they

Thanks for the prompt reply

So i will send all off my crediters a CCA requset even though Two off them have not been sold to a DCA ??

So in your opinion what are my chances of getting CL Finance to remove all the negative things on my report or as DX says will i have to raise a complaint saying a default should have occured when i fell six months behind and by now would have fell of my report or close to it ??

It really will depend on what they have got, your offer, and what they are willing to do in order to get the dosh!

Hi dx

The only one showing is CL Finance which is the one i am aiming to get sorted first.

I am abit worried to dump b&e just yet as all my interest is frozen and if i did dump them and went solo would the creditors start the interest again when i offered them a monthly payment .

Thanks

Max

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3329 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks