Currys Infinity 'lease - not a int free loan' as i was told

nevish
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3712 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please can someone help me regarding the below please......:(

Dear Sir/Mam,

I bought atablet a little while ago (1.5 yrs ago) from Curry’s, Staples cornerbranch.

My details areas below

The tabletwhich I thought I had bought was Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.

Now when I bought thisfrom curry’s I was told it is on a finance plan called infinity

– which coversme with whatever happens policy including loss, theft, water damage etc andlots of online storage.

My understandingwas after 24 months the product will be mine and I do not have to return backthe product.

They will also refund meback 25% of the money paid during this 2 yrs period if I decide to trade it.

But it came to light that I have to return the product after 24 months duringan incident last year.

I didn’t want to buy a tablet outright and wanted apayment plan, which possibly could have been interest free.

The sales personwas really pushing me to go for the infinity deal as it would cover me fortheft, loss,

provide me online storage facility and load of other stuff.

Myresponse to that was, I don’t need all of this,

can you pls suggest pure andsimple payment options for which I can buy the product interest free in ayear’s time.

But the sales girl pushed me for infinity and suggested that itwas the best deal I could have.

She explained that infinity comes with knowhowand if I need any help I can contact anytime and get any issues sorted.

So atthe time I thought that infinity was the better option as it covered me for alot of things if they ever happened.

I also inquired again that at the end of the two year period the product willbe mine and she went on to say that it’s like a mobile contract

and if anyissues you can bring it back within a week’s time.

I took her word and neverread the full agreement (like all of us do).

I was not shown that the productwhich I thought I bought was actually never bought

– it was a lease I had takenout and also there was no clarification with regards to no cooling off period.

She printed all the paperwork for me to sign.

Last year I hadlost this tablet from my work place at Heathrow airport.

I got a crimereference number to get a replacement;

I was very low as I had bought this formy dad as a present.

The infinity deal Ihad taken out, to my surprise did not cover for loss.

Rent smart flatly denied replacing thetablet.

During this process I had gonethrough the entire terms and conditions of the infinity deal.

To my shock Ifelt cheated, duped and lied to.

I feel I have been missold a product.

So Idecided to visit different curry stores and inquired about this infinityproduct.

I visited staples corner again, central London, Watford, harrowbranches when I had lost my tablet last year.

To my shock all the salespersonal never reveal that infinity deal is actually a lease and not an installmentplan to buy a product.

They do not reveal that it does not cover for loss,

theydo not reveal that at the end of the 2 yrs period you return the product

andyou almost pay double the price,

they do not reveal that it does NOT have acooling off period.

I was very very lucky that someone had actually returned mytablet back at my office

I would like tomention that I have a taped conversation as a proof from one of your curry’sbranch where your salesman lying to the customers about infinity

e.g. thesalesman advises that it covers loss whereas infinity does not cover loss andalso he suggests it’s a payment plan with a 2 yr contract like mobile phone

which is again not true as it’s a LEASE,

this is just an example of the blatantlies the salesman say to get higher sales.

What I amtrying to get at is, what if some kind hearted person not returned my tablet.

Iwould have had to pay the entire 24 months with no product in my hand.

I have beenduly paying the monthly payments but I feel cheated and missold theproduct.

I want to keepthis tablet and do not wish to return back at the end of my “LEASE” as I feelthis is a rip off and a missold product.

I wish I had taped all of theconversation during my actual buying (I thought I was buying but I was actuallytaking out a lease) process.

There is no way the tablet is worth £ 552 (£23x24).

I would really appreciateif someone can get back to me

and advise if I am allowed to keep this tablet asI feel really cheated on this.

Kindly try andput yr selves in a customer point of view and respond.

Regards,

Vish

Are you asoe209 from moneysavingexpert, who reported this in July 2012? The post seems a lot like yours.

You will less and less insurance products now cover loss, due to more and more people abusing it and staging fake incidents in order to cheat the system out of a new one. It's a case of the minority spoiling for the majority. Now it has to be a forceable theft ( I.e. Mugging).

Can't say that not reading the paperwork the night or day after you took it home wouldn't have thrown up these facts, and you could have returned it during this time if you weren't happy.

You don't get to hand back a lease car either, but you end up paying a lot more than its worth if you carried on for the term of the lease. Same thing here I think.

Out of interest, can you upload the video to a file sharing website and post the link on here, would be interesting to see it.

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it.

No I am not asoe209, but I did reada lot of complaints about infinity over the internet.

I did try to return it back but I was fobbed off by saying Ido not have a cooling off period and there was no way I can return it.

I mustpay for 24 months and return the product back, that’s what I was told fromdifferent shops.

I understand that I m basically trapped in this.

I dounderstand leasing but I feel I have been cheated as I was not given the actualfacts of the deal i

.e. it was not a financial instalment plan, it did not havea cooling off period, it does not cover loss

and I have to return the productback after 24 months. S

o in effect I pay £ 552 and I don’t even get to keep theproduct.

I think this should have beenclarified to me during the point of contract.

With regards to the video I shall try and upload it tomorrowmorning.

It was clarified at the point of sale/contract, they gave you paperwork didn't they?

I am 100% certain if you read if a day or so after and went back to the store and spoke to the person who sold you the item

or if not their manager and said it clearly wasn't what you sold me yesterday, you could get out of the terms.

Now I think that they are ironclad I'm afraid, as you've signed the agreement.

I still don't know why you think lease covers loss, if it did nobody would give back their lease item.

All they would need to do is say sorry, I lost it.

taking the company line as usual I see...................

hi nevish.

I totally agree with you.

and ofcourse

as per the watchdog videos

we all known their staff say you are covered for everything

re:whatever happens policy including loss, theft, water damage etc andlots of online storage.

I would write a stern letter of complaint to the ceo

and include copy of that taped conversation too.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Dx and Porkyp1g,

thanks for responding me.

I am providing you a link of the short audio/video clip as a proof.

I really do not know where do i stand but i shall try and fetch out the details of CEO and write to him, and request to look into this.

I am very sure i am not the only one out there who has been duped into buying/leasing this.

Can either of you advise if i can get anything out of this?

Again thanks for your response.

i cant post the link as i do not have more thn 10 posts :(

we don't need the link.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Make a contribution reputation_pos.pngreputation_pos.pngreputation_pos.pngreputation_pos.png

follow_us-a.png

Cagger sinceFeb 2009I am insouth east englandPosts1,897

icon1.png Re: currys/dixons

[no spaces]

he is the CEO of Currys/Dixons Group email him direct,usually gets things moving.

and they

Firstly, Infinity is done through a company called RentSmart. The word 'Rent' is a huge give-away.

Secondly, not reading ANY of the Terms & Conditions, the contract, or the Direct Debit mandate... More fool you. You have signed up for something you know nothing about. The contract also has a box that needs ticking, with the statement, "I confirm I have read and fully understood the contract and Terms & Conditions". You obviously ticked this without reading.

Finally, why would they cover for loss? I might rent a car and say I lost it. There's a free car for me.

• 1 month later...

I'm with you Nevish, same thing happening to my husband just now. I believe you and him have been missold your tablets by being given misleading information on purchase. Same as misselling PPI's and now there are big payouts - if all the banks had to do was say "Well you should have read the small print", they wouldn't have to pay back all this money. Husband has legal cover with house insurance and is getting them to look into it for him and make a claim if necessary.