Fixed Penalty Notice

RONTAN

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3107 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I received a Fixed Penalty Notice - £100 and 3 points for doing 46 mph on a 40 mph road. I am not sure I actually went above the speed limit as I have been careful with my driving having attended a speed awareness course recently. I requested for a video evidence to show that I actually exceeded the speed limit. The evidence provided was a photograph taken by the speed camera with no dates and time. Not still convinced, I asked for further evidence and ended up receiving exactly the same photograph, but with dates and time on it and a mail stating how the camera works, advising that I exercise the options of either paying the penalty fare with 3 points on my licence or referring the matter to court for further hearing.

I am thinking of taking the matter to court and would appreciate any form of advise from anyone that have had similar experience. I haven't been to court for any reason and not really sure of how i could make a case for my self in this situation. The only thing I know is that the evidences were not convincing to me at all. A video evidence would have been more convincing and the photograph with date and time on it looked a bit like a 'hurried' piece of work. Doesn't look like a computer print out at all.

So, in a nutshell, you feel you weren't speeding, but have no evidence to refute that. The police have photographic evidence from a speed camera. Who, on balance, would you think is a magistrate likely to believe?

Unless you can prove the camera wasn't calibrated properly, you'll probably lose and end up with a far greater fine + victim support fee.

The law states you are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

At the moment, the OP has not been found guilty as such. The FPN is merely an invitation for the OP to acknowledge the offence and accept a fine and points. He is perfectly at liberty to deny speeding and test that in court.

So, in a nutshell, you feel you weren't speeding, but have no evidence to refute that. The police have photographic evidence from a speed camera. Who, on balance, would you think is a magistrate likely to believe?

Unless you can prove the camera wasn't calibrated properly, you'll probably lose and end up with a far greater fine + victim support fee.

I have thought about asking for the calibration certificate for the camera and discussed that with one of my colleagues at work. He said to me that the police might be unwilling to release it and they are not bound by any law to produce the certificate. They only do so at their own discretion.