• Tweets

• Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
    • The streaming giant also said it added 9.3 million subscribers in the first three months of the year.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Indesit dishwasher purchased from Argos - deceased, just over 2 years old

WebMaster
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3726 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Our dishwasher packed in yesterday. Someone took a look at it today and concluded that the circuit board was fried, and since this would cost around 130 quid to replace we were better off just buying a new one.

Needless to say I'm not happy, especially with my bloody mother-in-law who was the one who highly recommended Indesit (it seems everyone else in the world says stay clear of Indesit).

The dishwasher is just over 2 years old, and it wasn't a particularly expensive one, so I guess I'm stuffed? Had it been more expensive, I could presumably have argued (SOGA and all that) that it should be expected to last longer than 2 years. Any thoughts?

Edit: Actually, price-wise, it's not the cheapest. My model (IDF 125) currently sell for around 250 quid.

You could still argue soga but unless you get a new for old exchange it just isnt worth it.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Hmm yes. Look like it's going in the bin then. Cheers for your advice.

While I was digging around in the paperwork, I found this '5 year parts guarantee' that Indesit offer. Apparently if anything goes wrong within 5 years, they don't charge for replacement parts, and I only have the labour charges to pay. Gave them a ring, and the labour cost was going to be 130 pounds. The pushy little gimp also tried to flog me extended cover at 15 pounds per month. Not amused.

where did you buy it from?

Your contrcat is with the retailer not the manufacturer

and SoGA do not stipulate a time scale for major faults

so it would be worth making a fuss.

ultimately if you get a hefty discount off a new one would you be happy?

If so go for it and make a noise about a repair or replacement

and then move on to the "well, if it is less trouble I might consider" route

god don't go writing this off

def a soga job

2 yrs on white goods

not on your nelly

typically +4yrs.

go get the retailer under soga

you've already got a report whats gone wrong.

when you contact the retailer copy that parts guarantee and hand it too them.

its upto THEM to sort it

even if 'they' have to invoke the manu guarantee

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta say, I'm impressed with Argos:

Thank you for your email regarding the fault with your Indesit IDF125 Full Size Dishwasher.

I can confirm that under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (SoGA),

Argos are liable for the products we sell for up to 6 years from the date of purchase.

However, this legislation only applies to cases where the product suffers from a manufacturing fault,

or is not fit for purpose.

In the Sale of Goods Act 1979

(SoGA) it also states: ?

If the consumer chooses to request a repair or replacement,

then for the first six months after purchase it will be for the retailer to

prove the goods did conform to contract (e.g. were not inherently faulty). ?

After six months and until the end of the six years, it is for the consumer to prove the lack of conformity.

For this reason an independent report will be required.

Please arrange for an accredited domestic appliance engineer to carry out an

inspection and give you a report.

Please send a copy of the report to:

Customer Relations Argos Direct Acton Gate Stafford ST18 9AR

Please include your full name, address, postcode and your original order number.

When we receive the report we will contact you within 7 ? 10 days to discuss the next steps.

Of course, if a manufacturing fault is found we will also be pleased to reimburse the cost of the report.

No trying to fob me off to Indesit, no trying to wriggle out of SOGA, and I didn't even have to pester them to pay for the engineer's report

did you p'haps pay by a card too?

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Was it a visa debit? If so, sec 75 still applies.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

sadly it doesn't

dx

and they

I asked Argos to clarify what they meant by "accredited domestic appliance engineer" - ie what body/organisation they should be accredited by - last thing I wanted was to pay for an engineer's report then find Argos didn't like his qualifications.

They said that, actually, all they required was that the report be from a VAT registered company, and on company-headed paper.

I'm a VAT registered company, and since they don't seem to need the company to have any qualifications in domestic appliance repair, perhaps I should just do the report (yes, I'm joking)

prob for verification and who to pay

and they

Meh. Spent the last day ringing round trying to find someone, with no luck. Most of the repair men I found were sole traders; out of the few who traded as a company, one wouldn't do reports, another didn't do domestic, another didn't do dishwashers, etc etc. Think I've tried just about everyone within a 20 mile radius.

I wonder if Argos actually know what they want (since they changed their mind on the requirements). I'm tempted just to get a non-VAT registered trader to do the report ... just don't fancy being stuck with the bill if Argos decide it's not acceptable.

I've not heard of any retailer doing that

just get a report and a receipt for it.

dx

and they

Hi Webby,

What about Pearsons in Stokesley - http://www.pearsonstv.co.uk/generic/website.asp?page=content&contentCode=1162

The problem with Argos's advice and offer is that you need to show it was a manufacturing fault. Unless the report confirms this (which I suspect is not likely), Argos will refuse to pay for the report or the repair/replacement. That's when you'll need to argue SOGA convincingly.

At least the cost for Pearson's inspection is only £20 although they may require more for a written report.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Reply back from Argos thanking me for bringing the matter to their attention,

and offering me a replacement dishwasher of a similar value (and they didn't complain about my engineer's report not coming from a VAT registered LTD company).

Can't believe how easy this has been

- I really expected Argos to try to fob me off with talk of extended warranties, contacting the manufacturer etc.

Cheers DX, you've been very helpful (as usual) !

I've put this in the argos forum.

got to be honest.

they are good

dx

• Confused 1

and they

Sounds like a RESULT !!

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Reply back from Argos thanking me for bringing the matter to their attention,

and offering me a replacement dishwasher of a similar value (and they didn't complain about my engineer's report not coming from a VAT registered LTD company).

Can't believe how easy this has been

- I really expected Argos to try to fob me off with talk of extended warranties, contacting the manufacturer etc.

Cheers DX, you've been very helpful (as usual) !

let us know when you get the new appliance and we'll mark the thread settled

dx

and they

Got the new dishwasher yesterday, so it's all over now ... although I'm sure some of you will be amused at the carry on I had.

Had a text from Argos on Tuesday to say that the dishwasher would be delivered between 2 and 4pm the following day. Of course, that didn't happen: they turned up at 8.30am the next morning while I was still in bed. Got dressed quickly and let them in, but they weren't allowed to disconnect the old dishwasher, so I had to quickly do that.

Still half asleep I turned off the wrong stopcock, so when I finally got the hose disconnected water started spraying all over the kitchen wall. Reconnected the hose, turned off the other stopcock, still the wrong one - more water spraying everywhere. Finally found a third stopcock under the sink, and that did the trick.

So they took the old dishwasher, and left a nice new one. As I'm busy unpacking the new one, I can hear the missus getting in the shower upstairs. As soon as she turns the upstairs tap on, water starts spraying out of the t connector again, and I'm yelling up the stairs "turn the f***ing tap off!". By this time the kitchen floor is swimming in water and I'm soaking wet.

After mopping up I start connecting up the new dishwasher. Then I discover that there's no bloody inlet hose. I left the old one attached to the dishwasher which Argos have now taken away. At this point the missus calls me upstairs and asks for a "progress update". Needless to say I got called a "stupid boy", and was sent back downstairs with my tail between my legs.

Got on ebay and ordered a suitable hose for a couple of quid, then figured I might as well familiarise myself with the new dishwasher. As soon as I opened the door, there was the new hose inside.

Connected everything up, slid the dishwasher back in place under the kitchen unit (not a simple job as it's a very tight gap), turned it on, and of course it didn't work - I'd forgotten to turn the stopcock back on ... and to reach the stopcock I had to take the dishwasher and washing machine back out again. Finally got this done, and it's working nicely now.

So to cut a lot story short, yes we can update the thread title now :p

Oh dear me. You and technology don't get on too well together, do you? :behindsofa:

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

I think you probably mean the drain hose? [greyone]

no way would turning on a shower upstairs make water come out of a mains feed you'd turned off at the cock.

so you upstairs waste water drainage must join into your downstairs

waste pipes before leaving the house to the outside drain.

back feed or blow feed is what its called......I think..

we've all been there.

I remember 40 odd yrs ago working in the service crew at gilwell park scout camp.

we built and fitted out a new shower block.

got it all finished and fired it up.

the drainage was blocked by what latterly turned out to be mole incursion

into the drains we broke into.

the female toilets got back fed with everything already in the pipes

from a few days previous use and started floating around the place.

those were the days....

dx

and they

Lol Pete,

I guess that's why THEY refuse to disconnect the old DW for you.

To avoid finding out (the hard way) which of your many stopcocks shuts of that supply, there should always be an "in-line" ball valve put on the feed pipe just before where you connect the DW inllet hose.

Using this, it is easy to isolate the mains feed to any individual appliacne so you don't have to shut off supplies to the house, or get soaked doing it wrongly !!

Glad you can now throw away the Marigolds, and use harsh chemicals to do the dishes again !