Jump to content

What do I need to do to get my Girlfriend to move in with me in the uk


style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2826 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts


Me and my girlfriend have been dating for a year, and she wants to move in with me to the uk, I have looked on the gov sites but I am a little confused on what to do, I am from and born in the Uk.She is from USA.

She works in mental health care. we are in our 30's and she will be living with me full time.

I do not know what info you need.

Thanks for your time reading this

Many thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello and welcome to CAG.


I don't claim to be an expert, but you haven't had any other replies. Would your girlfriend qualify to come here on her own account if she works? If so, I think she would need to meet the visa requirements.


If not, I imagine she would be classed as your dependant and you would need to meet the earnings requirement to support her if she was given permission to come here.


Here's a link to the UK Border Agency website for non-EU nationals wishing to come to the UK.




Which are the aspects you're stuck on please?


My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum




Link to post
Share on other sites



This is the link to the American Embassy in London: http://london.usembassy.gov/index.html


You could contact them and ask their advice.

Edited by stu007

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your ideas, She would like to start work, when she gets here, so best route for that, to be honest I am stuck on must of it, I just seem to follow links and after awhile it seems to tell you other things, I have looked at working visas, but again stuck on which ones would be suitable for her, I prefer step to step guides rather than millions of links. :(

I will try try the American embassy, I did look and it seemed more about going there than coming here, but I will have another look at it.

Thanks again

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello again.


Have you tried reading the information on the Border Agency website, the link I posted? I understand about lots of links, but it's official website and it doesn't have that many options to follow. If they have a helpline, that would be worth a try.


Maybe your GF could look at US websites about coming here to work? That might help you.



Illegitimi non carborundum




Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks again,

I have seen a partner visa for 10 years on the website, but there is a point that does not really make any sense to me.

if you are not married or in a civil partnership you have been living with your partner in a relationship akin to marriage or civil partnership for at least 2 years prior to the date of the application;


can any one shed any light on this, it is the only one that could fail us. I got this statement from ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/partners-families/citizens-settled/spouse-cp/can-you-apply/ as we can only stay for three months at a time.... so how would it be poss for us to live together for 2 year?

Also can she work on this visa, and if she applies for it does she get a single ticket over or a return tick is still needed?

Also it states cash savings over a certain level (the amount of savings that you need to have will depend the level of other income that you and your sponsor have . If you are applying to enter the UK, you will need to have a higher level of savings than if you are applying to extend your stay).

but does not say how much you need for savings or to work it out?

Many thanks

Edited by Coldbeer
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

A visitor visa lasts for 6 months and your girlfirend cannot work, essentially she will come on 'holiday'Aworking VISA may be an option if she has desired skills to contribute to a UK Shortarge of skills base, there is advice on a lot of 'working holiday' type sites and UKBA site.A spouse VISA is quite hard, and the criteria has made it more difficult in recent years. you can be civil partners or married but have to show evidence of the 2 years that you have known each other rule. This is designed to stop spam marriages and other 'gaming' of the system.I dont think it matters which non EU country you are from as a mate had a partner/wife from the USA and she was qualified in social care and a paedatric specialist in this role, she was still made to leave the UK and re-apply for a spouses Visa.The rules change regularly and it is often hard to get things sorted in accordance with UKBA requirments.Keep photographs, letters, emails etc showing your correspodence etc.The UKBA site is quite informative, there are numerous EX-PAT blogs and sites that have up to date information on them also.

I am fighting it all the way :-x

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...

My advice - find a bona fide immigration lawyer and take their advice - it costs but you will get the correct advice. Human rights claims are also useful - right to family life. But be aware the border agency end up in court and lose many cases - they are highly obstructive.... but they have a difficult job! From personal experience, its a nightmare road full of potholes! Good luck!

written entirely without prejudice to my whole rights and pleas in law and may not be founded upon in any proceedings.:lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...