NPower helping themselves to my cash...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3091 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hopefully this is an easy one for the brains on here....

As I am sure some of you know NPower have been having problems with their magical new computer system...

This meant not taking payments from me.

Then it meant me building up a £500 or so debit

So they took it upon themselves to set me up a payment plan for £50 on a seperate direct debit with no call or advice to myself or from myself.

On the assumption this is wrong...where do I stand?

Doesn't the direct debit thing they always read to you over the phone stop this kind of thing happening?

thanks in advance...

:D

Under the Direct debit Guarantee, if a DD is set up without your permission, the bank should immediately return the money.

When a DD changes, you should be notified at least 10 days before the DD is debited.

I would complain.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Under the Direct debit Guarantee, if a DD is set up without your permission, the bank should immediately return the money.

When a DD changes, you should be notified at least 10 days before the DD is debited.

I would complain.

Do I have a case though as the money was owed by me. Or is it just a case of "sorry we set up a dd without telling you...have a nice day..."

The fact they have taken money without your consent is grounds enough for complaint however, if the 50 per month is OK with you then let the DD stand.

If however, the £50 is just for arrears and not for usage as well then your next bill could end up quite expensive

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Guess I might as well leave it then, as I dont deny owing the money, just that it was their fault its owing, and they set up a dd without my consent.

Seems a shame for them to get away with setting a dd up without my knowledge though.

Just to be nasty, I would get the DD cancelled as they will think this gives them carte blanc to do it as and when they please. I would recall any payments made on that DD and then set up a standing order for the arrears. As you may gather I have no time for Npower at all as they excel at being incompetent!

The choice is yours! :smile:

Edited by Surfer01

Hi big blue one

Could you please clarify that the DD details used to setup this new DD Payment Plan were obtained from the DD details you gave in initially setting up your account with NPower?

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Hi big blue one

Could you please clarify that the DD details used to setup this new DD Payment Plan were obtained from the DD details you gave in initially setting up your account with NPower?

Yes. This must be how they did it.

they told me nothing about it until I rang and asked why there was a seperate £50 dd

Just had a look at my dd's again, and it appears they were utilising the original existing dd to take the payment on a different day without informing me of the intention, amount, or reasoning behind the extra bill.

You are in control of your direct debits so if you wish, you can cancel it with your bank.

As for Npower, I would still raise a formal complaint for taking this extra cash without informing you.

NPower have installed a new billing system and it doesnt work one bit. I have been told my next bill will be produced in May, my last one was aug last year so a 9 month billing cycle. I got them to produce a bill based on readings taken by their meter reader and this was very low-they hadnt added the daily standing charge and when i tried to sort it out over the phone they asked me to do the calculations as the CS person couldnt access the relevant data. This is possible but then how an I supposed to know whether they werent going to amke an adjustment next time as the tariffs had changed in the interim?

Absolutely useless at present.