• Tweets

• Update 15th March the eviction notice period expired, and I paid my next month rent along with sending them the message discussed above. After a short while they just emailed me back this dry phrase "Thank you for your email." In two weeks' time I'm gonna need to pay the rent again, and I have such a feeling that shortly after that date the contracts will be exchanged and all the payments will be made.  Now my main concern is, if possible, not to end up paying rent after I move out.  
    • they cant 'take away' anything, what ever makes you believe that?  dx  
    • The text on the N1SDT Claim Form 1.The claim is for breaching the terms and conditions set on private land. 2. The defendant's vehicle, NumberPlate, was identified in the Leeds Bradford Airport Roadways on the 28/07/2023 in breach of the advertised terms and conditions; namely Stopping in a zone where stopping is prohibited 3.At all material times the Defendant was the registered keeper and/or driver. 4. The terms and conditions upon  entering private land were clearly displayed at the entrance and in prominent locations 5. The sign was the offer and the act of entering private land was the acceptance of the offer hereby entering into a contract by conduct. 6.The signs specifically detail the terms and conditions and the consequences of failure to comply,  namely a parking charge notice will be issued, and the Defendant has failed to settle the outstanding liability. 7.The claimant seeks the recovery of the parking charge notice, contractual costs and interest.   This is what I am thinking of for the wording of my defence The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and are generic in nature which fails to comply with CPR 16.4. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 1. Paragraph 1 is denied. It is denied that the Defendant ever entered into a contract to breach any terms and conditions of the stated private land. 2. Paragraph 2 and 4 are denied. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was only contracted to provide car park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. 3. It is admitted that Defendant is the recorded keeper of the vehicle. 4.  Paragraph 6 is denied the claimant has yet to evidence that their contract with the landowner supersedes  Leeds Bradford airport byelaws. Further it is denied that the Claimant’s signage is capable of creating a legally binding contract. 5. Paragraph 7 is denied, there are no contractual costs and interest cannot be accrued on a speculative charge.   I'm not sure whether point 4 is correct as I think this side road is not covered by byelaws? Any other suggestions/corrections would be appreciated.
    • Dear EVRi parcelnet LTD t/a evri   evri parcelnet isnt a thing also you say defendant's response which is a bit of a weird format.   Something like   Dear EVRi, Claim no xxxx In your defence you said you could not access tracking. Please see attached receipt and label Regards
    • Welcome to the Forum I have moved your topic to the appropriate forum  Residential and Commercial lettings/Freehold issues Please continue to post here.   Andy
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Ridge roof tile damaged car - House Insurer Declines Fault

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3635 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

I need some advice, please.

I've been renting a property since August 2006 and always been a good tenant, never asked for anything from the landlord, paying rent on time and always looking after the house.

Just before Christmas, Monday afternoon, 23rd December 2013, the car was parked on the driveway as always and suddenly I heard a big bang from the outside. When I went to inspect what had happened I noticed the big ridge roof tile was on the ground and my car damaged. The roof of the car was dented, windscreen smashed and the bonnet was also damaged. I rang the agency, explained the situation and I was advised to repair the car, give them the bill and I will receive my money back.

I rang a windscreen company and they came, examined the car and said that they cant replace the windscreen because the roof is too damaged. I emailed the agency, explained what I've been told, attached images of the car and the roof tile. I got an email back which stated this:

"Your Landlord has spoken with his Insurance company who have informed him that the cost of the repair to your car is down to you unless you can prove negligence on the Landlords part. You will need to contact your car insurance company and report the incident to them and then it will be down to them to prove negligence for them to claim the monies back"

In the meantime I contacted my insurance company, called in the claim, my car has been taken away, assed and I received a courtesy car. The repair of the car came to a total of £1600 which exceeds the value of the car, which results in the car being written off.

Now I am faced with two options, withdraw the claim, keep the car and try to repair it or buy a new and I cannot afford to do either or I can go through with the claim, receive the value of the car minus the excess cost of £300 and lose my no claim discount bonus which is valuable to me as soon my son will be starting his driving soon.

The ridge tile came off to easily, the wind wasn't that strong to take down the tile. In the seven years I have lived in the property not once the landlord sent someone to make sure the roof is in a stable condition. Yet he denies fault and so do his insurers.

What can I do in this situation, should I contact a lawyer? Any help is appreciated

Thanks, johnnympl

You would have to claim under your Car Insurance for the write off value and then try your luck in issuing a court claim against the landlord for uninsured losses. If you have legal expenses cover under your Car Insurance, they may help you. If not, you could see a local Solicitor to see whether it is worth pursuing. Or just do it yourself, using the MCOL process.

Don't worry about issuing the court claim against the landlord, as the landlord can just pass it on to their Home Insurers to deal with. They may just pay out for your claim and not defend it.

I would suggest that you contact the local Met Office for a report into the wind conditions on the day in question. If the wind gusts were below say 55 then the rood tile should not have come down through storm damage and must have been weakened before. In any court claim, it is just establishing on the balance of probability that the landlord was liable for the roof tile coming down i.e roof not maintained.

Nb. Before you issue a court claim, you should send the landlord a letter before action stating your case, providing details of your losses and by what date you expect to be paid these. Allow say 21 days. After this you can just issue the court claim.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for the quick reply! That helped me a lot, I will contact Met Office to gather the evidence however I'm not too sure about the legal expense cover, I will need to double check. Thanks again!

You would have to claim under your Car Insurance for the write off value and then try your luck in issuing a court claim against the landlord for uninsured losses. If you have legal expenses cover under your Car Insurance, they may help you. If not, you could see a local Solicitor to see whether it is worth pursuing. Or just do it yourself, using the MCOL process.

Don't worry about issuing the court claim against the landlord, as the landlord can just pass it on to their Home Insurers to deal with. They may just pay out for your claim and not defend it.

I would suggest that you contact the local Met Office for a report into the wind conditions on the day in question. If the wind gusts were below say 55 then the rood tile should not have come down through storm damage and must have been weakened before. In any court claim, it is just establishing on the balance of probability that the landlord was liable for the roof tile coming down i.e roof not maintained.

Nb. Before you issue a court claim, you should send the landlord a letter before action stating your case, providing details of your losses and by what date you expect to be paid these. Allow say 21 days. After this you can just issue the court claim.

Proving liability eg negligence for a roof tile coming down is a lot more difficult than you suggest

Proving liability eg negligence for a roof tile coming down is a lot more difficult than you suggest

It depends on what the OP finds out. They are on site and have a better view of the situation. The ridge tiles I thought are cemented in, so if there was not winds of particular strength, the tile should not have come down. The negligence would be decided based on what is provided to a court. The House Insurers may not bother to defend, if the amount involved is not that high.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

It depends on what the OP finds out. They are on site and have a better view of the situation. The ridge tiles I thought are cemented in, so if there was not winds of particular strength, the tile should not have come down. The negligence would be decided based on what is provided to a court. The House Insurers may not bother to defend, if the amount involved is not that high.

You are correct - however the 23rd was one of the worst storm's we've had this year and was pretty much nationwide. If the OP is an an area which suffered high winds that day (most) then they will find it very difficult to prove negligence. If the winds are 'storm force' then they will almost certainly defend as without any evidence the roof was in a poor condition (7 years isn't that long to go without a roof inspection on a pitched roof), on balance of probabilities, the tile will be deemed to have blown off in the storm.

However the court fees will only be £70-£80 (depending how much you're claiming) and it'll be a small claims hearing so the other side can't claim costs back so it may be worth proceeding. The letter before action won't cost you anything.

You are correct - however the 23rd was one of the worst storm's we've had this year and was pretty much nationwide. If the OP is an an area which suffered high winds that day (most) then they will find it very difficult to prove negligence. If the winds are 'storm force' then they will almost certainly defend as without any evidence the roof was in a poor condition (7 years isn't that long to go without a roof inspection on a pitched roof), on balance of probabilities, the tile will be deemed to have blown off in the storm.

However the court fees will only be £70-£80 (depending how much you're claiming) and it'll be a small claims hearing so the other side can't claim costs back so it may be worth proceeding. The letter before action won't cost you anything.

Yes I realise that it was stormy in some parts of the country. When I responded to the OP, I did not want to add a negative post, just stating a list of problems. The OP is on the ground, can investigate this further and decide how they want to proceed. I am trying to start 2014 in half glass full and not half empty state of mind.

To claim anything you would need to let the insurance companies fight it out. If the car was damaged on the body in the windscreen area, it will not be a cheap fix anyway so may be better to process the claim. Isn't your no claims bonus protected?

Hi,

Where is your case now?

Exactly the same happened to my car, a ridge tile fell straight on the top, only a few days after yours. I reported it to the letting agent and they came back that the landlord's home insurance doesn't cover it and also he is not responsible for the damage. I asked a quote for repairing my car and the whole roof panel has to be changed because it was damaged so badly, ca 1500. I told to the letting agent that I think the landlord is responsible for it because his property caused damage to my car. I've also read on various sites that negligence has to be proven to win a case, but it is not easy.

Now a roof contractor came out to fix the roof and it is interesting they had to cement back a whole line of ridge tiles because all were loose! They haven't even completed the job, will come back tomorrow. So I think if the roof was in a good condition prior to the accident why that much repair and maintenance is necessary? I asked the roof company to leave me a copy of what job was done.

Anyone knows what to do? I'm trying to get an appointment with the citizen advice bureau, but they're so busy, but I need to clarify what my rights are and what his responsibilities are.

Thanks

The landlord has to maintain the property in a good state of repair and take reasonable steps to ensure this.

The problem with roofing, is whether the landlord would have known any tiles were loose. Was it reasonable for the landlord to have had a roofer inspect it, before they let the property ? With my house, I certainly keep an eye on the roof, inspect it from ground level after high winds and I have had maintenance work carried out.

You could chance your arm with issuing a court claim against the landlord for any losses suffered, purely on the basis that the landlord had not properly maintained the roof and therefore as a result caused you to suffer a loss. For this to succeed, you would need to have helpful information from the local met office that there were not any storm force winds around the period the tile came down. If the met office confirmed that there were no storm force winds, then I think you may have a good chance. If there were storm force winds, then you would not have a very good case, because it was the wind and not any negligence on the part of the landlord.

If you have any legal cover or a helpline with your Home Contents Insurance, they may be able to give you advice on this.

The driveway could pose a problem as the liability (not that I believe there is any negligence at all, and no claim to answer) is the in law the occupiers to ensure the drive is safe to park on. Now if you have contents cover in your name and therefore occupiers liability cover ( the greater cover) you cannot sue yourself and have no case.

I might not be right and I am playing with a bit devils advocate here, but it's a potential.......

Re negligence, it also has to be recognised, the roofing mortar could be loose, but it has to be proven the landlord was aware of the impeding risk, the same as the average man, unless the risk has reasonably been pointed out.

• 3 months later...

Hello

Something very similar happened to my van around the same time - roof tiles, smashed glass and several dented panels - and it has been a pain trying to claim.

It has been a little while now, have you had any joy in claiming via insurance or small claims?

Op is thinking of withdrawing his claim because he will lose his ncb, now that the insurer's have been informed would the assumption be his premiums would rise anyway if he decides not to proceed and to declare it to other insurers.