Heater valve problem - ** RESOLVED FOC**

caro
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3757 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In March 2013 my 2001 fiesta suddenly started overheating and a new heater valve was fitted. Fast forward to the hottest day of the year and the water boiled dry on the motorway. Fortunately I had water and made it home. Took the car to the garage and no fault found. No charge for checking either. No problem since until Sunday (29th dec).

The heater stopped working. Fan is ok but just blows cold air. Phoned the garage to get it checked out and over the phone said it needs a new valve which will cost about £80, £40 of which is for the valve.

I realised afterwards that a heater valve has already been replaced. Found the bill and it cost about £80, although the valve was £26 and the cost included coolant.

Would this be a different heater valve, or could it be there's a problem with the one fitted in March?

Edited by caro
The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

fobbed off already in march me thinks...

FOC repair me thinks.

how can they decide on the phone without testing it!.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I don't know. Would there be more than one heater valve?

I must admit I was wondering if I should need to pay. Thankfully I've got the receipt for this. ;)

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

The heater is very unlikely to have any connection with you losing water and overheating unless there is a leak in the matrix or a connecting hose. One of the signs of loss of water is the heater blowing cold.

What you need doing is a check on the radiator fan to make sure that cuts in at the correct temperature and a cooli8ng system pressure test. A pump is put in place of the radiator cap and pumped up to the pressure it says on the cap and then watched to see if that pressure drops. While waiting for that to happen, a good look around the engine at hoses etc and radiator to see if there are any leaks.

Also check the carpet below the heater to see if that is damp.

A failed thermostat can make a car overheat and then the water gets blown out past the cap. Thermostats used to fail safe, most don't now, so it could be the thermostat needs changing, but that should be checked so it's not replaced needlessly.

I've already checked it's not losing water now, or at least the reservoir is still on max. Must admit my first thought was that it might be the thermostat but my knowledge of cars would fit on the back of a postage stamp.

If I remember rightly, the heater valve is wire operated. It could simply be that the wire has fell off or snapped??

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Seems there's a heater valve under the bonnet and one in the car. It was the one under the bonnet that was replaced in March and they replaced it FOC with no quibble.

Tbh that doesn't surprise me as I've always found them very fair, which is why I didn't name them, but I just wanted to check I was on the right track before I took the car in.

Thanks for the advice guys.:)