How do I find out if a debt is over 6 years old?

Jimfitz81
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3760 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys, I have a large debt and I can't remember if it's been 5 or 6 years since the last acknowledgement/payment.

Obviously, after 6 years, it's classed as statute barred.

How do I find out how long it's been?

Can't for the life of me think how to do it?!?

And bearing in mind there's masses of transactions coming out of my account each month,

obtaining old bank statements and going through them is out of the question.

Also, you can generally only go as far back as 5 years.

I should also mention that over the years,

I have had various letters from different debt collection agencies

but my other half calls them to say she doesn't know who I am as we rent our place.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

credit file?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks guys. If I use the first option, which I'm assuming is to be addressed to the debt collector, does that not mean they will then have confirmation of my address? At the moment, they don't know my whereabouts.

With regards to the second option, how do I get access to my credit file?

I don't mean to sound stupid, but I've not had many dealing with these types of things.

Thanks guys. If I use the first option, which I'm assuming is to be addressed to the debt collector, does that not mean they will then have confirmation of my address? At the moment, they don't know my whereabouts.

With regards to the second option, how do I get access to my credit file?

I don't mean to sound stupid, but I've not had many dealing with these types of things.

If it is with a DCA the odds are that the time will run from when you last made a payment to them, otherwise it will be around the time of the default and termination of the agreement.

Really need more detail.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Your first post suggests you have only one debt. If so, try ringing original creditor to confirm date last paid. This doesn't constitute acknowledgment and if they turn to when are you going to pay, cut the line.

Withhold your no., obviously.

Your first post suggests you have only one debt. If so, try ringing original creditor to confirm date last paid. This doesn't constitute acknowledgment and if they turn to when are you going to pay, cut the line.

Withhold your no., obviously.

Og I don't know about that, seems a bit like poking a sleeping bear with a pointy stick.

I would rather check the credit file and search out any correspondence which may give a clue as to the account activity before contacting anyone.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Well if, as Jim suspects, the 6 years are up, there's not much honey left in the pot for the bear, though I get your point.

To be honest I would go through my bank statements, only 2 years' worth maximum to flip through. But Jim seems to regard that a chore.

Well if, as Jim suspects, the 6 years are up, there's not much honey left in the pot for the bear, though I get your point.

To be honest I would go through my bank statements, only 2 years' worth maximum to flip through. But Jim seems to regard that a chore.

:-)