Jump to content


Notice period


style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3102 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

 

Please click the "Report " link

 

at the bottom of one of the posts.

 

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

 

Thanks

Recommended Posts

Hi

 

I started work for my current employer on 25th November and have a four week notice period. However, I have today been offered another job (it's an IT contract role) to start next Monday, paying twice as much money and closer to home. I have spoken to my manager and he is unwilling to negotiate on the notice period. Is there anything I can do? If I just leave on Friday, what's the worst that can happen?

 

The current job is 230 miles from home so I'm required to stay away during the week. My partner is currently pregnant, and we've also recently found out that it's twins, so working closer to home, and especially for twice the money, would be an advantage. I interviewed for the new job back in October, so before I started the current job. It's just that the wheels have turned very slowly, so I ended up taking the current job to tide me over.

 

Thanks in advance

Link to post
Share on other sites

The worst thing that could happen is that they sue you for breach of contract for any expenses they incur as a result of the breach. It's very rare though.

 

It sounds like an opportunity that's too good to miss - personally I would take the new job and risk the consequences - with the double salary you could probably pay them even if they did sue you (which is unlikely unless you leaving early would cause them a significant financial loss!).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys. That's what I thought. I can't think of any way round it. I'm going back to the office on Thursday, working from home until then. I'm just not good at letting people down so not looking forward to telling my manager that I will not be working past Friday. Any advice on how to be firm would be most welcome! Thanks again :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys, if you wish this thread to continue, you WILL refrain from personal comments and bad language.

 

This is your one and only warning.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

 

I started work for my current employer on 25th November and have a four week notice period. However, I have today been offered another job (it's an IT contract role) to start next Monday, paying twice as much money and closer to home. I have spoken to my manager and he is unwilling to negotiate on the notice period. Is there anything I can do? If I just leave on Friday, what's the worst that can happen?

 

The current job is 230 miles from home so I'm required to stay away during the week. My partner is currently pregnant, and we've also recently found out that it's twins, so working closer to home, and especially for twice the money, would be an advantage. I interviewed for the new job back in October, so before I started the current job. It's just that the wheels have turned very slowly, so I ended up taking the current job to tide me over.

 

Thanks in advance

 

 

Get in touch with your prospective new employer and tell him that your present employer is not willing to let you go without you working the full notice, I'm sure he will understand.

 

Your notice period usually runs from the start of the day after you gave your notice in, so get it in right away, like now so the time has started.

Link to post
Share on other sites

it is probably too much trouble for your manager to think carefuly about the situation and what the company can gain or lose by your being there for such a short period. I would speak to someone much higher up and point out that it would be a massive waste of the company resources to force you to work your notice, what with training requirements and even knowing about sensitive company data etc. The only minus for you is they may not be able to sort out the payroll/P45 issues within a month so your new employer would have to wait for your tax details and that will delay correction of tax paymants. As long as you dont mind getting the wrong pay for 2 months whilst that is sorted go for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?


×
×
  • Create New...