Harveys sofa - not fit for purpose?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3103 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HARVEY'S FAIRMONT SUITE PROBLEMS BEWARE!

We purchased the fairmont suite from Harvey's furniture store,

we have the corner sofa,

2.5 seater sofa and the foot stool.

We purchased this in September 2012 and it was delivered in November 2012.

Our suite is in Renato fabric in red.

The first problem we encountered was when the suite was delivered there were no scatter cushions delivered with it.

We were given the complete run around after being told by the store and head office that it didn't come with any

(although they were shown on the display suite in store and on all the suite advertising literature

stating a special feature was that it came with scatter cushions)!

Even head office/customer services did not help and finally I got help from an ex Director shareholder I discovered on the internet.

Somehow he must have sorted it,

because after blatantly being told by head office they could not get any cushions for us,

a parcel arrived in the post which was a box of cushions,

then we had a telephone call from the Manager of our local store grovelling

to say how sorry he was and that we would receive the cushions in the post!

Well we had the suite about 6 months and all was well, it is very comfortable.

Then about 4 months ago we noticed the material on the footstool was starting look dull and it was going fluffy,

because the material is like wool in a striped grey fleck line and a red line stripe next to it.

What we assume is happening' is that the material is going fluffy and the grey fibres are becoming more prominent

and making the appearance fluffy and dull.

During the last few months the sofa cushions that we mainly sit on have also gone the same

and we are not happy as the suite cost approx £1700 and it now looks older than it should

and worn for a suite of just over a year old.

Bearing in mind we have no children and it does not have heavy usage we are very disappointed that the fabric is NOT hard-wearing enough

and this spoils otherwise what is a very comfortable suite.

We can't see any point in contacting Harvey's as we are sure they will just pass it off as normal wear and tear

bearing in mind the trouble and bad customer service we had over the cushions.

They certainly do not encourage you to buy from them again?

BE WARNED!!!!

Soobee41. Your problem is with the textile used. The standed test I think is what's called a rub test to see what the textile can take then this is rated as per the test result so the buyer of said textile would be well aware of what it is he is buying.

Hi there,

well at present I haven't bothered to contact them as they are such hard work when it comes to getting problems sorted out,

they do not appear to have any Customer service back up at all, as I mentioned earlier in my blog tonight.

The problem is getting worse very quickly and we are now using throws over the cushions and The footstool.

The footstool seems to be the worst cushion (top of coved in one piece).

Obviously This is because we have had our feet on the footstool and now this is also covered with a throw.

It is such a shame as the lovely red suite we purchased is now covered up with covers to stop the material wearing which really should not be happening.

We have been discussing if it is worth a try contacting Harvey's to report this, but think we will be wasting our time.

Should we have know this material was not going to withstand time of 8-9 months,

then we never would have purchased it.

You see it in the store looking great and assume that's how it will be for a good few years if it is looked after well

and don't expect that is is going to wear so quickly and is not going to last very long.

We have been thinking about possibly getting the woollen like material pieces on the cushions recovered .

Also it doesn't help that the cushions are only one sided so can't be turned to make it last a bit longer.

Just to add regarding the rub test results which are printed on the back of the samples with all the relevent info regarding the product are with the buyer ' well befor producsion. So he has to keep cost down and hope's nobody will notice. Back in the old days they had cutters real people who could feel the textile and reject it. Now its cut on a big computer and the end result is what we see when we get it in our front room.

I would try and prove that the fabric was never going to last per the rub test.

Are you saying the manufacturers should carry out the rub test, if so I assume they don't advise customers of this as they would not want to admit materials used performed poorly? I have never come across this expression before and can't imagine it's something we could do ourselves before a purchase as I'm sure we would be asked to leave the store if we carried out our own test on the material! Obviously we wouldn't buy a suite if we were aware the material wasn't up to Standard in a rub test.

Are you saying the manufacturers should carry out the rub test

I I think when they buy the textile it come's with the spec's so no they don't have to.

the rub test results which are printed on the back of the samples with all the relevent info regarding the product are with the buyer.