• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Reverend Paul Nicolson has local authorities really worried as he is "willfully refusing" to pay his council tax ! -WON

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3275 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thanks for this TT :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

......The Tax Payers Against Poverty website should be updated by midday with more details.

Yesterday's update post:

£125 COSTS NO MINOR ISSUE WHEN AUTHORISED +22,000 TIMES BY TOTTENHAM MAGISTRATES 2013/14,

raises an interesting issue regarding the court pointing out that the costs are council's rather than the court's.

The costs are the same £125 this year as last year, so I suggested to the Tottenham Magistrates yesterday that there should be adjournment until we all know whether that £125 is justified. The chair of the bench said they were council costs not court costs. I replied that the council is authorised to enforce the costs by the magistrates; a point accepted by the chair.

It seems the racket between HMCTS and Local Authorities has been going on that long that neither the MoJ nor councils see it as anything other than a tax on the poor.

There is conflicting information where one source will say that the Magistrates' court has discretion in the level of costs it awards (if any) whilst another will say if the person is found liable the bench has no discretion.

A recent response from Leicester City Council where it discloses details of its latest approval from the Justices' Clerk (10 March 2014) clearly shows that the costs may be challenged by individuals exercising their right to appear before the bench:

Dear Mr T

I am pleased to say that I have now heard from the Chairman who is happy to approve your costs. Of course it will be open to those against whom you proceed to challenge the application in individual cases.

I apologise for the delay.

Best wishes

Justices' Clerk and Secretary to the Lord Chancellor's Advisory Committees for Leicestershire & Rutland, Lincolnshire and Northamptonshire

Thank you Outlawla.

I have just received a text message from the Reverend. He is so grateful for the astonishing support that he is receiving and delighted that over 10,000 people have viewed his thread.

He will shortly be in receipt of some vitally important documents from me that demonstrate HOW the costs were initially agreed for the London area.

....He will shortly be in receipt of some vitally important documents from me that demonstrate HOW the costs were initially agreed for the London area.

Coincidentally, in reference to the agreed costs for the London area, this seems to be a get-out-of-jail-free card for London Borough Councils to avoid disclosing information regarding their make-up.

For example, Harrow Borough Council were asked to disclose information relating to each of its 8 summons and liability order costs reviews. For each review it stated that "no data exists" (its documented response), and went on to explain that:

No data exists as costs amounts adopted followed London-wide negotiations with the Chief Clerk for London Magistrates Court, which Harrow simply adopted.

Haringey Borough Council was similarly evasive when confronted with similar questions, but where Harrow simply stated that it held no data, Haringey exploited the fact that the records, being more than six years old, would be no longer held.

Haringey's response...

Courts costs for the years up to 2007/08 were agreed by the London Legal Forum which was made up of representatives from The London Revenues Group (on behalf of London Boroughs) and Court Clerks from some of the Magistrates Courts within the London Area. The costs agreed by the forum were generally adopted by all London Boroughs. As more than six years have passed the records for those levels of costs are no longer held. The decision to change the ratio of the costs, with 100% being charged at the summons stage, would have been made prior to 1 April 2008 which again is more than six years old and documentation is no longer held.

From what do the know,

rom: Tilbury Roy

Sent: 04 March 2010 14:06

To:

Cc: '[email protected]'

Subject: Haringey - Council Tax Court Costs 2010/11

Hi Stephen

Please find attached breakdown of the service charges in respect of Council Tax Court Costs. I am looking to increase Court Costs from £95.00 to £125.00. Whilst this was meant to be done for 2009/10, Haringey felt that the increase was not appropriate.

You will see from the figures that the actual cost is more than the £125.00 requested.

I would like to increase this from the 1st April 2010 and await your approval.

Kind Regards

Roy Tilbury

NNDR & Enforcement Manager

So they produced figures were are they.Good luck Rev

Living in the wild windy west of Ireland

From what do the know,

rom: Tilbury Roy

Sent: 04 March 2010 14:06

To:

Cc: '[email protected]'

Subject: Haringey - Council Tax Court Costs 2010/11

Hi Stephen

Please find attached breakdown of the service charges in respect of Council Tax Court Costs. I am looking to increase Court Costs from £95.00 to £125.00. Whilst this was meant to be done for 2009/10, Haringey felt that the increase was not appropriate.

You will see from the figures that the actual cost is more than the £125.00 requested.

I would like to increase this from the 1st April 2010 and await your approval.

Kind Regards

Roy Tilbury

NNDR & Enforcement Manager

So they produced figures were are they.Good luck Rev

This FoI request (Here) should have the figures somewhere as an attachment in one of the correspondences. Note there are two calculations (it claimed to have submitted the first incorrectly).

If the figures aren't there, this is a direct link to the second set:

Court Costs 2010/11

The overheads look disproportionately large. Would be interesting to know exactly what these comprise and the allocation calculation.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

The overheads look disproportionately large. Would be interesting to know exactly what these comprise and the allocation calculation.

It's obviously a reverse calculation. The desired level of costs have been chosen and a series of budgets allocated sums which when aggregated miraculously add up to £125.

Even if the inflated expenditure was genuinely attributable to recovery work, it would be attributable to all costs rather than just issuing summonses. Haringey do not break-up costs between summons issue and the court hearing (as the law provides) and so people incurring summons costs automatically incur liability order costs that have been front loaded for the purposes of earning more revenue for Haringey.

The approach taken with many councils is when averaging the costs, they divide the supposed expenditure incurred by the number of summonses. However, the number of summonses is not the number of summonses it issues but the much lower number it estimates to recover (70% would be typical). Obviously this average is then a much higher level of costs which can be presented on a calculation to bamboozle Magistrates. The net effect of that is people who do pay these costs are subsidising those who don't as well as in the case of Haringey, incurring front loaded expenditure. Those who make payment arrangements or agree in future to pay by Direct Debit are likely to make up a large number of the summons costs that are uncollected.

Outlawla I while I was looking for something else I came across this on a Department for Communities and Local Government pamphlet relating to Council Tax -Guidance on Enforcement of CT arrears June 2013

3.4 Local Authorities are reminded that they are only permitted to charge reasonable

costs for the court summons and liability order. In the interests of transparency, Local

Authorities should be able to provide a breakdown, on request, showing how these

costs are calculated. While it is likely that authorities will have discussed costs with

the Clerk to Justices it should be recognised that the Court may wish to be satisfied

that the amount claimed by way of costs in any individual case is no more than that

reasonably incurred by the authority.

Where LAs are reluctant to provide such details a letter to them advising them of this Government paper and notification that they will be reported to that Department might

be enough to force the LA into action.

Outlawla I while I was looking for something else I came across this on a Department for Communities and Local Government pamphlet relating to Council Tax -Guidance on Enforcement of CT arrears June 2013

3.4 Local Authorities are reminded that they are only permitted to charge reasonable

costs for the court summons and liability order. In the interests of transparency, Local

Authorities should be able to provide a breakdown, on request, showing how these

costs are calculated. While it is likely that authorities will have discussed costs with

the Clerk to Justices it should be recognised that the Court may wish to be satisfied

that the amount claimed by way of costs in any individual case is no more than that

reasonably incurred by the authority.

Where LAs are reluctant to provide such details a letter to them advising them of this Government paper and notification that they will be reported to that Department might

Or in the case of councils who charge £100 or more, they will resist any attempt to make them disclose this, as they don't want their little extra revenue raiser spoiled, as Rev Nicolson is trying to do.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

....Where LAs are reluctant to provide such details a letter to them advising them of this Government paper and notification that they will be reported to that Department might

You would have thought it an open and shut case, but councils still manage to worm their way out of it as they state that there is no legal obligation to support their cost because the "Guidance on Enforcement of CT arrears" is only "Guidance".

Paragraph 4(ii) of the QC's Final decision to dismiss an appeal in the Information Rights Tribunal shows the level of support councils are given for them to get away with such robbery. There is a right to appeal the decision on a point of law but requires permission from the Judge. I doubt though, even if leave is granted, an appeal will be successful against a system that favours the establishment.

Interesting indeed !!! The FACT of the matter is that local authorities will NOT divulge this information and the main reason WHY is because they do NOT know.

Interesting indeed !!! The FACT of the matter is that local authorities will NOT divulge this information and the main reason WHY is because they do NOT know.

You think? I'd be very surprised if that is the case. I work in a department that compiles management accounts for a pretty large organisation and overheads are calculated and budgeted for as carefully as all other income and expenditure. The calculations are complex but, as with LAs, we are accountable.

They have to be audited. There's nothing random or unknown about where the money goes, or indeed, comes from.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Caro,

Your answer is so accurate. The correct route (as far as I am concerned) is that complaints about the unaccountability of the 'summons cost' should be for the matter to be referred to the District Auditor. All local authorities have to make their accounts available for inspection.

Complaints are currently ongoing.

Problem is TT some councils accounts are a mess like those of the EU, but as Caro has said, everything has to be accounted for somewhere. I wonder how many councils have used advice from Capita in setting their summons costs as a revenue source? That is a relevant question as Capita advised some councils , wrongly, as it happens, that they co;ld syphon Housing Revenue Account funds elsewhere.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

You think? I'd be very surprised if that is the case. I work in a department that compiles management accounts for a pretty large organisation and overheads are calculated and budgeted for as carefully as all other income and expenditure. The calculations are complex but, as with LAs, we are accountable.

They have to be audited. There's nothing random or unknown about where the money goes, or indeed, comes from.

Leicester City Council produce accounts to support its costs on a three year basis. It's surprising they don't include the Tea & Biscuit fund (although probably do incognito). There are far too many questionable figures to mention here, but one which gives the game away is where they include Officer's hourly rate, twice (presumably hoping nobody notices), shown around cell (H7) of the spreadsheet.

2011-12 calculation

Here they calculate the hourly rate at £13.94 (including 25% employment cost) then justify doubling that figure to £27.88 because they consider the cost of employing staff to cover for the non-recovery work while staff are dealing with recovery work to be fair game, cell (H11).

They even account for (A73) the interest lost for instalments not paid within one month. This would be more acceptable if they also included the interest gained through the early payment they receive for withdrawing instalments and demanding the remaining outstanding balance as a lump sum.

Their latest accounts: 2013-14 calculation

These figures make no sense at all !!

The starting point needs to be with HOW MANY staff are employed in the Recovery dept. Is there any way in which you can find out this figure for me.

FOI request?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Leicester City Council produce accounts to support its costs on a three year basis. It's surprising they don't include the Tea & Biscuit fund (although probably do incognito). There are far too many questionable figures to mention here, but one which gives the game away is where they include Officer's hourly rate, twice (presumably hoping nobody notices), shown around cell (H7) of the spreadsheet.

2011-12 calculation

Here they calculate the hourly rate at £13.94 (including 25% employment cost) then justify doubling that figure to £27.88 because they consider the cost of employing staff to cover for the non-recovery work while staff are dealing with recovery work to be fair game, cell (H11).

They even account for (A73) the interest lost for instalments not paid within one month. This would be more acceptable if they also included the interest gained through the early payment they receive for withdrawing instalments and demanding the remaining outstanding balance as a lump sum.

Their latest accounts: 2013-14 calculation

25% employment costs is pretty standard but surely they employ people to do this on a permanent basis, so doubling up is bang out of order!

Thanks for the links. I'm not an accountant but will see if I can see anything else, but can't do it now.

The council will simply state that no employees dedicate their time solely to dealing with applications for liability orders.

I have passed the FOI requests to a very experienced auditor with a great deal of understanding of local authority costings. I will respond as soon as he comes back to me.

The council will simply state that no employees dedicate their time solely to dealing with applications for liability orders.

Maybe not solely, but it sure as hell will be on some job descriptions. It's not like this is something new that hasn't been done for years.

There is scope ("this calculation") to remove expenditure of reminder notices etc., at A12 and A22, because they are not summons notices. That would take off a total £67,053.56.

£47,565.38 (A12)

£19,488.18 (A22)

Of course the council would argue that the reminder notices are connected with summons costs, so as a contingency we can asses the costs of only those reminder/final notices which relate to accounts subsequently summonsed.

Cell A33 assumes there are 15,000 cases relating to summonses. It is therefore safe to assume that only 15,000 of the 55,000 first reminder notices (A12) can be connected with summonsed accounts – around 27.3%.

27.3% of £47,565 = £12,972

£47,565 – £12,972 = £34,593

At least £34,593 of its expenditure related to the 1st reminder can not possibly be included in its costs.

It is not possible to use the same logic as above to determine how many of the 2nd reminder/final notices can be excluded, i.e. which relate to accounts not subsequently summonsed. The reason is because not all accounts summonsed first receive a 2nd reminder or a final notice whereas all accounts summonsed must first receive a 1st reminder.

We can therefore only assume (reasonably) that some of the £19,488 expenditure attributed to the 2nd reminder/final notices should not be included because many account holders (to which these relate) either catch up the arrears at this point or where it is a final notice, pay the entire remaining sum within the given notice.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3275 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks