late fee payment and interest with santander

keanda
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3762 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Used my Debenhams card to purchase a few items and statement said payment was due 15th December 2013.

Hubby and I were on holiday and due to get back a week before payment was due.

Unfortunately I had an accident whilst on holiday and ended up in a foreign hospital.

I only got home on 15th Dec

as soon as I got in I phoned customer services and explained what had happened,

I asked their advice on the quickest way to pay the bill and was told that the quickest way was to pay it to them over the phone.

Paid in full as I always do but received a letter today from Santander saying I owe them a late fee and in addition to that

I also have to pay interest on the items even though it was paid in full.

Although I made the payment to customer services on the 15th Dec and the payment due date was also the 15th Dec

the actual payment hasnt shown up in their system until the 17th Dec.

I am aware that technically it is a late payment and I am at fault but given the circumstances I couldn't do anything about it until I got home.

To be honest I am more concerned that this could affect my credit in the future and given the circumstances

don't know whether to phone and appeal or just to make the payment and get it out of the way.

Any advice would be appreciated

If its a credit card just laugh at them. Its unlawful and unenforceable.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Thanks for the reply. It is the Debenhams store card that I used but it is Santander who provide the finance for them so not sure whether that makes any difference. The late fee is £12 and its about £1.20 in interest but I am worried that it could affect my credit history especially if I don't pay it

you'll prob already have a late marker.

you can reclaim the fee + interest it caused.

you might find a BCOBS complaint useful too IF the marker has been placed.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I'm totally new to this but

how do I find out for definate if they have a marker against my credit?

Also Santander/Debenhams have just sent a letter and statement saying I owe the late fee plus interest

they state I have until 15th Jan to make the payment,

I assume if I don't pay it they would continue to keep adding more onto it.

I was going to give them a call tomorrow and see what they say

Late fee's are penalty fee's and are unlawful and unenforceable. Sadly banks think the law doesnt apply to them and so add it on anyway knowing that the majority of people will willingly pay it.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Thanks for the reply, I didn't know that they were unlawful and unenforceable and as you say I would have willingly paid it myself if I hadn't found this site.

To be honest it was not so much paying a late fee that I worried about but more if it can affect my credit score and place a marker against it.

Am I obliged to pay the interest they have placed on the debenhams card?

Also should I contact Santander and tell them I will not be paying the late fee

and check if they have put the marker against my credit.

credit file details are below

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

If they place a marker against your file purely because of fee's, then it can be contested as unfair. Can i ask if you have any arrears right now? Forget about the late fee for a minute.

Ok. then if they add a marker on your file due to this, then they are very stupid to do so.

The quickest way to sort this would be to give them a call. Despite what others may tell you, there is no point telling them that you refuse to pay and being rude to whoever you get through to - if this isn't a regular occurrence for you and you politely explain your circumstances then usually they'll refund you.

All the best, update us with the outcome

If you choose to do the above, make sure you record the call. Santander are known for saying one thing then doing another.