I got spoofed on eBay and PayPal say I am not covered by their Seller Protection

Jannyb
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3769 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I would be really grateful if anyone could please offer me any advice.

I sold a brand new iPhone 5s for just under £500 on eBay.

The funds cleared my account and the buyer emailed me asking me if I would mind to post to their work address.

I was happy to do this and had proof of postage.

A month later I receive an email from paypal saying the buyer says their card was used fraudulently

and paypal are telling me that I am not covered by their seller's protection as I did not post to the address linked to the paypal account.

Paypal have told me that the final decision will be made by the "buyers" credit card company

but it is unlikely to go in my favour and i will have to repay the funds and

if I do not do so the debt will be sold on to a debt collection agency.

I would be so grateful if anyone could tell me if I have any rights or if there is anything I can do about this.

Can paypal really force me to pay back the money.

Many thanks.

Hi

I see things differently.

The person who had the money taken is the victim. You as the seller sold in good faith and have lost nothing. Ebay will pass it on to the DCA so stop using your account and delete all banking details from it (just in case)

They will chase for this 'debt' but as to whether they go as far as court, not sure

20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Thread moved to Online Store forum

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

This sort of thing appears to happen a fair bit with Ebay and Paypal.

Either the c/card owner has lost the card or he hasn't. If they have lost it then it surely didn't take a month to discover that and if if did then that would be down to them. If they still have the card then

some one who knows the owner may have been involved [if not the owner themself] since the person buying the phone would need to have known the owners ebay nickname and password as well as

having access to the credit card.

Inform the Police giving them the name and address of where you sent the phone along with the postal tracking info-did it require a signature?

Make sure Paypal cannot access your account and cancel your credit cad that you use for Paypal.

Hi

I see things differently.

The person who had the money taken is the victim. You as the seller sold in good faith and have lost nothing. Ebay will pass it on to the DCA so stop using your account and delete all banking details from it (just in case)

They will chase for this 'debt' but as to whether they go as far as court, not sure

20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Thread moved to Online Store forum

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I have instructed my bank account and my credit card not to release any money to paypal

and they say that they would not do so and if paypal were just to take it

then it would be an unauthorised transaction and my bank/credit card could claim it.

Paypal have advised that even if I shut my account the details would remain dormant on their system anyway.

The person with the card will be insured for fraud.Like other people say shut your account so they carnt take payment back and then we will deal with DCA.

Paypal have advised that even if I shut down the account my details remain dormant. I am more worried about the debt collection agencies and this affecting my credit rating.

you need to get action Fraud involved ASAP.

have you been indirect contact with the buyer at all?

me thinks this is not all it appears to be.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I feel strongly that I should not have to pay this money back and, if i'm being honest, i cant really afford to, £500 is a lot of money and i only sold the phone in the first place as it was Christmas and i needed the extra money. Yes the person who had their card used may have been the victim but I also see myself as a victim here too. I have reported this to action fraud and have a crime reference number, however, none of this will stop them sending debt collectors after me which is what I am really worried about and how it may effect my credit rating etc. i think Paypal are getting out of this on a loophole saying they will not cover me because I did not send the phone to the address linked to the paypal account and that is why I am not covered under their insurance. To be honest I did not even know this was a rule.

you need to get action Fraud involved ASAP.

have you been indirect contact with the buyer at all?

me thinks this is not all it appears to be.

dx

Thanks, I have contacted Action Fraud and they have given me a crime reference number. They said this is such a common [problem] and they advised another [problem] along the same lines is the buyer collects in person and then denies all knowledge.

sadly it almost on every email from paypal regarding where to post etc etc .

if the card company do the charges back

then it will be confirmed as fraud.

I would doubt Ebay will do anything

the DCA cannot hurt you

the only issue is damage to your credit file.

MOSTLY ebay stuff does not show anyway.

I would await the CCC outcome and see what they do.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

This always happens to people. If you post to any address other than the one that shows up with there PayPal payment then its to easy for them to say they didn't get it or it wasn't them.

I run an eBay shop and will only post to a different address if its someone I've dealt with a few times or if they buy outside eBay and send the money as a gift.

Log in to your PayPal account and get rid of bank account and debit card details.

They will send a dca after you but all they normally do is send boring letters for a month or two, then they give up till its passed to the next one.