Moving Abroad On Benefits ?

mikv
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3738 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

With all the testing involved with ATOS and now these PIPS run by the same company , I've been wondering if its worth while staying in the UK at all given the quality of life and what the alternatives are , is it actually still possible to move abroad on and still receive DLA ( I am interested in moving to Holland ) or has ATOS's take over of that too made it impossible ?

And how does ATOS actually enforce their testing if your living there , as opposed here ?

thanks,

mike

Kirkby... Be fair to these people....

Mikv.... Benefits are only open to UK Residents, so living abroad i believe would cut this out.

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

In theory, you are entitled to the same social security as nationals of the E U state in which you move to, but in practice that's often not easy to achieve.

DLA ceases if you leave the uk.

You may find out more about benefits in NL by checking some expat forums.

If you are hoping for an easier life abroad as a disabled person jiving on social security, I would doubt very much that this would be likely.

In theory, you are entitled to the same social security as nationals of the E U state in which you move to, but in practice that's often not easy to achieve.

DLA ceases if you leave the uk.

If you are hoping for an easier life abroad as a disabled person jiving on social security, I would doubt very much that this would be likely.

From what I read only the mobility component of DLA would stop , or has that changed ?

What would happen if you were a dual passport holder of that country though ?

mike

No DLA at all is paid if you live abroad. This is not a new policy.

And it is nothing to do with your passport.

If you already have Dutch nationality, why are you asking here rather than on Dutch sites? And if you don't, it will take 7 years residence and a citizenship exam to obtain.

Do check the expat forums as I suggested. They are a great source of information.

No DLA at all is paid if you live abroad. This is not a new policy.

And it is nothing to do with your passport.

If you already have Dutch nationality, why are you asking here rather than on Dutch sites? And if you don't, it will take 7 years residence and a citizenship exam to obtain.

Do check the expat forums as I suggested. They are a great source of information.

Will do - thanks

but I still don't understand why there's sites like the one I linked too suggesting otherwise , and that some DLA is still available.

mike

Ok I see what your saying, but i think it's wrong if you claim a benefit then think u can swan off abroad.

If you can afford to move etc do u need UK benefits?

Do you think its right then that someone with a criminal record can hypothetically leave the UK after raping someone then move to somewhere like Dubai ( which does no background checks ) just because they can work , while someone too ill through no fault of their own should be punished by having no choice ?

Please explain to me how that is not discriminating , and morally corrupt ?

The UK seems happy to pay benefits to anyone who wasn't even from here , why should it not take care of its own just because they want the same choices a physically able person has ?

mike

Edited by mikv

I would imagine if you moved abroad, you'd still be subject to the same tests as UK residence if you wanted to keep your benefits.

So does that actually mean it is possible to still get some then ( even just the care side of DLA ) ?

mike

, is it actually still possible to move abroad on and still receive DLA

Only if your benefit is contribution-based and the disability has already been assessed in UK.

Being Dutch or British citizen makes no difference.

Remember that here you have to pay your own health insurance. It is compulsory and it starts from 80 euro a month (the cheapest). Probably if you have a disability it could be even higher. However don't quote me on that . The best site to check the cheapest insurance is:

http://www.independer.nl/

Plus a wealth of bureaucracy that would want to make you throw up.

Don't rely too much on expat forums. Most British expats in NL stay for a short period and usually paid for by their company in UK, so they tend, with some exception, not to know much about red tape and social welfare.

A couple of links for you, one in English:

http://southholland.angloinfo.com/information/healthcare/people-with-disabilities/

and the official one in Dutch:

http://www.rijksoverheid.nl/onderwerpen/algemene-wet-bijzondere-ziektekosten-awbz

Edited by gioppino

:mikv:

In very, very, general terms (there's exceptions) contribution flavoured benefits can be exported indefinitely to the European Economic Area, and employment n support for up to six months to the rest of the world, if the visit's for medical treatment. In restricted circumstances income flavoured benefits can be paid for up to four weeks.

Moving to the Netherlands won't exempt you from reassessment for a conversion award of employment n support. (Might knock a hole in your case for a home assessment though.) :-) Currently Jobcentreplus (or is it Social Security?) have two strategies for dealing with the Atos assessments. Either find an assessor locally or pay the assessee's travel expenses from the moment s/he arrives at Dover or a United Kingdom airport.

Following a high profile case in the European Court of Justice, the care components of disability living allowance, and carers allowance, are exportable to the European Economic Area. Guess that in due course, arrangements for possible transfer to personal independence payment will be along the same lines as reassessment for conversion awards of employment n support.

These issues are incredibly complex. For definitive answers you need to contact;

https://www.gov.uk/claiming-benefits-move-travel-abroad/illness-injury-and-disability-benefits

Or if you're in Northern Ireland;

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/information-and-services/money-tax-and-benefits/money-abroad/benefits-abroad.htm

Best wishes, Margaret.

Edited by **Margaret**

Do you think its right then that someone with a criminal record can hypothetically leave the UK after raping someone then move to somewhere like Dubai ( which does no background checks ) just because they can work , while someone too ill through no fault of their own should be punished by having no choice ?

Please explain to me how that is not discriminating , and morally corrupt ?

The UK seems happy to pay benefits to anyone who wasn't even from here , why should it not take care of its own just because they want the same choices a physically able person has ?

mike

Because they are paying to do so with their own money. Benefits were only intended to get people through periods of hardship. Not to set them up with a life abroad.

PS I'd love to see a stop to benefits to non UK applicants.

:mikv:

In very, very, general terms (there's exceptions) contribution flavoured benefits can be exported indefinitely to the European Economic Area, and employment n support for up to six months to the rest of the world, if the visit's for medical treatment. In restricted circumstances income flavoured benefits can be paid for up to four weeks.

Moving to the Netherlands won't exempt you from reassessment for a conversion award of employment n support. (Might knock a hole in your case for a home assessment though.) :-) Currently Jobcentreplus (or is it Social Security?) have two strategies for dealing with the Atos assessments. Either find an assessor locally or pay the assessee's travel expenses from the moment s/he arrives at Dover or a United Kingdom airport.

Following a high profile case in the European Court of Justice, the care components of disability living allowance, and carers allowance, are exportable to the European Economic Area. Guess that in due course, arrangements for possible transfer to personal independence payment will be along the same lines as reassessment for conversion awards of employment n support.

These issues are incredibly complex. For definitive answers you need to contact;

https://www.gov.uk/claiming-benefits-move-travel-abroad/illness-injury-and-disability-benefits

Or if you're in Northern Ireland;

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/information-and-services/money-tax-and-benefits/money-abroad/benefits-abroad.htm

Best wishes, Margaret.

Hi StarryEyes,

thanks for that info , Ive been trying to think of backup plans because I am again in fix since ATOS are behind this PIP thing

hope your doing well , and happy belated xmaz

mike

Edited by mikv

Why?

To put it bluntly, the UK is a tiny nation with a massive national debt that is ill equipped to support people coming from other countries.

Pregnant UK mothers are not getting the healthcare they need during delivery due to an influx of migrants.

Education bosses are complaining of too many pupils in classes, added to the additional teaching they require due to not speaking English, in certain areas.

The police are having to employ interpreters more and more every year to investigate crimes by those not (or claiming not to) speaking English.

I could go on.

But at the end of the day all this has to be paid for. The place this money comes from is out my wage packet the same as all other working people. If you want to claim money out my pocket, then you should of put money into the public purse first.

Because they are paying to do so with their own money. Benefits were only intended to get people through periods of hardship. Not to set them up with a life abroad.

PS I'd love to see a stop to benefits to non UK applicants.

TBH I dont consider most disabilities to be a period of hardship but a lifetime of it ( depending on disability this can be very harsh indeed ) not to mention the obvious physical impact this has on your life and how people see you - or rather dont ( try going dating in a wheelchair and see how far u get ) or the abuse from public services and general members of the public.

It is not like this improves usually or is some illness that you suddenly improve from as you imply from the word period , its permanent that is why someone who has been claiming so long has had no choice but to claim after all , not because its fun or some escapism.

Dont get me started on lack of decent mobility services or products out there that are still using technology like lead batteries that further restrict you and reduces your existence to a groundhog day.

Id happily accept euthanasia if it cut benefits rather than live like this trust me, my point in the end being we cant escape what put us in this position or buy our way out of it - yet someone who violated or taken life can by virtue of the very same brain,body they used to cause abuse in the first place.

I dont care what you cut it, that should not be allowed esp when they've permanently left an innocent far worse off than themselves and had a choice some of us dont even get to lead a better life.

If creating money was a sign of good character we'd been living in utopia right now , but instead it's the other way round with the richest simply taking more at the expense of leaving the rest of with less freedom and powerless against their almighty goldmines.

Edited by mikv

But at the end of the day all this has to be paid for. The place this money comes from is out my wage packet the same as all other working people. If you want to claim money out my pocket, then you should of put money into the public purse first.

Many of us who haven't worked have a very good reason to not have done so.

Hi regarding DLA and living abroad there is a thread on here regarding someone living in Spain having to claim/reclaim DLA while living in Spain and they had a hard battle and won. This shows that DLA is paid while in the EU.

dpick

Has to be a contribution based or non income dependent see

See the links in post 3 here or the same ones bellow.

http://www.youreable.com/forums/showthread.php/2900-DLA-and-ESA-Abroad

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/international/benefits/employment-and-support/

http://www.dls.org.uk/advice/factsheet/welfare_benefits/benefits_abroad/Benefits_abroad.pdf

We have a reciprocal agreement with all EU states where by the originating state pays the benefits for the person as if they were still living in that state. The state they go to pays, it then claims it back from the originating state. Although..... the UK has a history of making this difficult whether you come here or leave here.

• Confused 1

Has to be a contribution based or non income dependent see

See the links in post 3 here or the same ones bellow.

http://www.youreable.com/forums/showthread.php/2900-DLA-and-ESA-Abroad

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/international/benefits/employment-and-support/

http://www.dls.org.uk/advice/factsheet/welfare_benefits/benefits_abroad/Benefits_abroad.pdf

We have a reciprocal agreement with all EU states where by the originating state pays the benefits for the person as if they were still living in that state. The state they go to pays, it then claims it back from the originating state. Although..... the UK has a history of making this difficult whether you come here or leave here.

So of the originating state pay for it , do you not fall under their laws rather than UK ones with ATOS , or would you still be required to potentially pay for someone from there to come over as someone here earlier suggested ?

In what way can the UK make it difficult if the originating country you went to agree to pay ? ( I read they some people had the DLA suspended for just inquiring )

thanks,

mike

So of the originating state pay for it , do you not fall under their laws rather than UK ones with ATOS , or would you still be required to potentially pay for someone from there to come over as someone here earlier suggested ?

In what way can the UK make it difficult if the originating country you went to agree to pay ? ( I read they some people had the DLA suspended for just inquiring )

thanks,

mike

Basically any main EU national can apply for their nations benefits and have it paid for by the DWP here and it's then claimed back from whence they originated from.

The DWP do not like this so....

1, not advertise it

2, give bad advise for somebody trying to apply for it.

3, just refuse the claim and deny the agreements exist.

This happens both ways in the UK - there was a thread on here a fair while back with somebody fighting the DWP for the benefits they were entitled to abroad. Think it was DLA in Spain but ESA is also claimable. I've also read a few times the blocks put in place by the DWP EU nationals have had to go through applying for their benefits here.

They use to pay for local GPs abroad to do DLA/ESA reports for UK citizens - I have to admit I'm not up to speed on this now so things might have changed. Plenty of Pensioners abroad so....

The problem with time limiting is you would then have to meet the criteria for benefits of the EU Country you have moved too eventually. Not sure where you would get advice on that though.

Also the new residency in the UK test is something you need to read up on. It doesn't just stop Johny Foreigner claiming benefits but also UK citizens returning from an extended stay.