I have a hole in my roof.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3717 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

During the storms over the weekend we lost part of the roof and we live on the top floor. I reported this to the housing association on Monday but they could only give me an appointment for the 2nd January. Last night water started pouring through my living room ceiling. They sent someone to make it safe. However, when he inspected the damage he found a huge hole in the roof. Our ceiling was also beyond repair under this hole.

He had to cut out a huge hole in our ceiling to gain access to the roof. All he could do was fasten a piece of tarpaulin over the hole in the roof and cover the ceiling hole with a bit of wood. It's a very temporary fix and it won't withstand another battering. Unfortunately more storms are due tonight.I have called the housing association again this morning but, as the office is closed, only a company handling emergency calls are available. There isn't much they can do and I pretty much have to wait until the 2nd January. I'll have no living room left by then.

The damage caused means my living room is freezing cold and you can hear and feel the wind rushing in. I have a toddler and there is no way I can afford to run my heating all day to try and keep warm.

What are my options? Can we force them to send a roofer? We also need someone to repair the ceiling and replace all the insulation. While I'm waiting can I claim money for the extra gas (I'm on prepayment) so I at least can keep us warm? I know I can claim for the damage to my walls and carpet but that won't keep us warm. As the office isn't open until next Thursday, alternative accommodation can't be arranged.

As you live in HA property, they should have procedures in place for complaints etc. What does Lease say about structural damage?.

Local Council could find emergency accom (B&B?) if current property is 'unfit for human habitation) or unsafe. Contact local Ward Cllr, contact details should be on Council website. Local fire brigade may be able to offer opinion on roof safety.

Temp repair (tarp) is best you can expect to 2 Jan.

I guess roofers may be tied up replacing missing slates (minor repairs).

I have been told alternative accommodation can't be sorted as the office is closed. As is the council. I cannot go to a B&B. I have no money for a start.

As for the tarp, it's blown loose already. Nothing they will do so my living room will be totally destroyed by the morning. We have 70mph winds and lashing rain happening now. So no, tarp isn't the best we should put up with.

There are NO roofers available as they're all on holiday.

My lease states they are responsible for all structural repairs. All emergencies will be dealt with within 6 hours.

I'm just really angry right now.

Is there any info in the entrance to your flat, if it's a walk up flat, about what to do in an emergency?

Failing that, phone the out of hours contractors again and tell them the repair isn't holding.

Failing that you could try social services out of hours service to see if they'll help you get temp accommodation.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi

I assume you are a HA tenant as you reported your issue to the HA.

Now you have a 'Right to Repair' and also under the Housing Act your property should be 'Wind and Watertight' so when you reported this repair IMO it should have been classed as an Emergency was it?

The difficulty is as its the festive period and most places shutdown so to speak in getting those repairs required fully completed so it sounds like they have put a temporary measure in place, but due to the forecast of more bad weather conditions I can understand your concern as to whether this temp measure will last and be safe.

Now you mention the Out of Hours service as HA closed but that Out of Hours service will have a list of duty personnel on call during this festive period from the HA that can be contacted.

Is your concern your safety in the property even though temporarily fixed until repair can be completed?

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Have you managed to sort anything clemma?

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi

I assume you are a HA tenant as you reported your issue to the HA.

Now you have a 'Right to Repair' and also under the Housing Act your property should be 'Wind and Watertight' so when you reported this repair IMO it should have been classed as an Emergency was it?

The difficulty is as its the festive period and most places shutdown so to speak in getting those repairs required fully completed so it sounds like they have put a temporary measure in place, but due to the forecast of more bad weather conditions I can understand your concern as to whether this temp measure will last and be safe.

Now you mention the Out of Hours service as HA closed but that Out of Hours service will have a list of duty personnel on call during this festive period from the HA that can be contacted.

Is your concern your safety in the property even though temporarily fixed until repair can be completed?

Overnight we had some nasty weather and I have woken up to find the board of wood on my ceiling soaked through. It's obvious the tarpaulin didn't hold - as expected. I was right to be concerned. The out of hours service have spoke to the contractors who will be attending within 6 hours to make it safe again. I have no idea what they will do though. Not only is there one massive hole, but there is a smaller one up near the very top of the roof. The situation is getting worse.

I currently have water pouring down one wall, the wind is howling through the loft and escaping into the living room. Because of the time of year they cannot send anyone to repair the damage properly for at least a week.

I first reported this on Monday but they didn't class it as an emergency and gave me an appointment for the 2nd January. The HA were extremely busy that day because of the severe weather so it's really angered me that they put no contingency in place for the Xmas period. It was only when I called Christmas Day that they sent someone out. I'm utterly fed up, I'm very worried about our safety - especially my 2 year olds.

Is there any info in the entrance to your flat, if it's a walk up flat, about what to do in an emergency?

Failing that, phone the out of hours contractors again and tell them the repair isn't holding.

Failing that you could try social services out of hours service to see if they'll help you get temp accommodation.

The emergency number is the same number you call for any repairs. I'm waiting for yet another contractor to visit. I'm sick with worry.

We have contents insurance only as the building is covered by the HA. They won't pay for structural repairs, just for any damage caused inside (which I'm claiming compensation for from the HA anyway as advised by them). I cannot afford to pay a roofer and claim the money back either.

Ok, so a contractor is coming out sometime today. It will be a roofer but because of the extreme winds ave the fact he'll need scaffolding there won't be much he can do. The HA are even refusing to move us and are totally falling their duty of care.

UPDATE. I have more water pouring in and my HA have been very unwilling to do anything. However, I actually got to speak to a manager. He just happened to live round the corner so came to see for himself. He has arranged for contractors to attend tonight. However, he told me that I cannot claim anything from them for any damage. And there are quite a lot of my personal belongings water damaged and my carpet is completely ruined. So annoyed.

If you don't have contents insurance, contact a solicitor about putting in a public liability claim against the HA. ;)

HA's don't insure tenants contents. For starters there would be no way of knowing what all their tenants have. It is your respinsibility to do that, although the reality is that many don't.

A public liability claim may work though. Certainly worth a shot although you would need legal help, probably from a NWNF firm (although it goes against the grain to say that).

Read the salient facts in each post people.

OP states she has personal contents Ins, but obviously not Buildings Ins, so OP should claim for consequential loss on contents Ins caused by hole in roof. Ins Co will prob chase HA Ins to recover their loss, saving OP time & effort.

Whilst water damage & disruption is bad news for anyone, given the news reports of late, at least rain water from hole in roof does not contain raw sewage.

Read the salient facts in each post people.

OP states she has personal contents Ins, but obviously not Buildings Ins, so OP should claim for consequential loss on contents Ins caused by hole in roof. Ins Co will prob chase HA Ins to recover their loss, saving OP time

Apologies. I had read that but slipped my mind over the course of the day. A worrying number of tenants don't but glad clemma has as it should make life easier.

Clemma you should get some compensation for the delay in emergency repairs. It's also worth asking for reimbursement of extra gas used to keep warm, and in due course electricity as you'll probably need dehumidifiers to dry the flat out.

I read the salient facts,the ops lease states the HA is responsible for structural repairs,that must surely mean they have a buildings insurance policy that is being paid into otherwise wheres the money for structural repairs coming from at short notice?,also it is in her lease that all emergencies are dealt with within 6 hours,they haven't fulfilled this either.

To carry on with the whole debacle. Still have no date for repair, still have water pouring through my ceiling. Now the housing association are refusing to send anyone out as the contractors only attended yesterday. Are they allowed to refuse? It's raining pretty heavily outside with no signs of stopping and water is coming through in 5 different places! They expect us to live with this until it's repaired.....

Write to David Cameron about HA's inability to respond to predicted bad weather. I am sure the HA would welcome the extra funds that may be released.

Just be grateful you are not an owner-occupier in similar circumstances on News Year's Day, with no-one to turn to.

Write to David Cameron about HA's inability to respond to predicted bad weather. I am sure the HA would welcome the extra funds that may be released.

Just be grateful you are not an owner-occupier in similar circumstances on News Year's Day, with no-one to turn to.

Ermmm...ok. Regardless, I have a young child, had this issue for 10 days, water is just pouring in and I apparently have to have it like this for at least another week. I pretty much have no one to turn to either.

Contact your local newspaper, this is the sort of thing they love to print.

Don't want to go to the papers as it may have a detrimental effect against my claim for them to compensate me for damage to personal property.