Taken my ESA off me.

solbert

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3103 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I wonder if someone could explain something for me. I inherited some money a few weeks ago and today received a letter from the benefit people that they have closed my claim as my capital is too much.

I presume that I have now to live off this money until it gets down to below £16,000. How do I work out when the time is right to put in a new claim? My rent and other bills will take care of about £180 a week of it, so it should last for about 7 years before it gets to £16,000.

My landlord has offered to sell the house to me for a quick sale which will leave me with about £1,000.

This makes sense to me as I will have my own home instead of renting and I won't have to waste the money on renting.

Can I buy this house and if so will the benefit people still treat me as having the money when I don't and if so what will I live on?

Hope that makes sense

years ago I was on benifits, and I came into a large some of money, i told DWP what i had and that i was going to buy my own home with it, they were ok with it, although i did have to provide details of purchase and bank statement to show....I think you would be ok, specially as you will not be claiming HB (that is if you are) might be worth a quick call to DWP to check though. hope that helps..i am sure others will be able to help further

If you do decide to purchase the home, get a few checks done to ensure you are paying the right value for it, and not just what the LL and his estate agent friend thinks its worth.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

years ago I was on benifits, and I came into a large some of money, i told DWP what i had and that i was going to buy my own home with it, they were ok with it, although i did have to provide details of purchase and bank statement to show....I think you would be ok, specially as you will not be claiming HB (that is if you are) might be worth a quick call to DWP to check though. hope that helps..i am sure others will be able to help further

Thankyou for that.

It does make sense to me as I am claiming HB and don't have any security over my rental. Normally I have to move every 12 months because the landlords keep putting the rent up well above the limit for HB every 6 months. With this place (which I love) it started off at £350 a month in June 2012. since then it has risen twice and I now pay £510 a month.

I already have savings of just over £5000 and with the inheritance after paying for the legals, survey furniture, repairs etc I will have just over £6000 left. It won't take long to spend the excess over £6000 with bedding, decoration etc.

Some people have told me that you can't do it as I would be hiding the money in a property which the benefits people can't touch and at the same time am expecting everybody to keep on paying my benefits.

I will write to the benefits people asking if it is OK to get round the deprivation rules and still get all of my benefits if I go for this house in order to keep my inheritance safe and available should I need it sometime in the future.