Did i do anything wrong? Please tell me

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3774 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi members,

I'm a muslim and I'm working in European Retail super market for more than two years. If I guide muslim customers about halal food, then do I do something wrong? Today one muslim man bought some food item, which was not halal, i told him that the food item, what you have bought is not halal. Then he asked me to do refund that food-item. I did refund. But my supervisor did my complaint to my manager and my manager got very angry on me and spoke with me very harshly. He was just about to kick me out of my job. I just want to know that

1) did I do anything wrong?

2) Is this valid reason to terminate my job?

3) I felt that now they will deal me in different way, and they will try their best to get rid of me? what I should suppose to do in this situation?

I will be thankful to you guy, if you will share your knowledge with me. Looking forward for replies.

thanks

Hi members,

I'm a muslim and I'm working in European Retail super market for more than two years. If I guide muslim customers about halal food, then do I do something wrong? Today one muslim man bought some food item, which was not halal, i told him that the food item, what you have bought is not halal. Then he asked me to do refund that food-item. I did refund. But my supervisor did my complaint to my manager and my manager got very angry on me and spoke with me very harshly. He was just about to kick me out of my job. I just want to know that

1) did I do anything wrong?

2) Is this valid reason to terminate my job?

3) I felt that now they will deal me in different way, and they will try their best to get rid of me? what I should suppose to do in this situation?

I will be thankful to you guy, if you will share your knowledge with me. Looking forward for replies.

thanks

It just sounds like good customer service to me.

Taking all religious and ethnic irrelevances out of this, you simply directed the customer to a purchase which best suited his needs.(or away from one which didn't)

You should have got a pat on the back IMO

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

then why my manager got angry on me madly, why he was about to kick me out of my job? And my mistake was only this to tell the customer about suitability of food-item.

Perhaps he is a ass ?

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Go higher up the chain. Techincally that manager has broken the law, and the offence, since it would be against a religion, and bordering on a possible hate crime ( yes, check up on it. Any crime towards a religion is being considered a hate crime when investigating) , be very serious.

Take it to a senior manager and let them deal with the muppet you have as a manager. I work for a major supermarket, albeit in IT, and i've seen and heard a few cases similar to yours. Lets just say that due to possible repercussions, any issue like this is settled VERY quickly.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I don't think at all the manager has broken the law or that it's any sort of hate crime.

The fact is that it's up to the customer to make their choice and, unless it's wrongly labeled or there is a fault with it, they are not entitled to a refund, even if they purchased it by mistake. This is particular with food items such as fresh produce as they can't resell items that have been purchased. They don't know if the goods have been tampered with or how long they have been out of refrigeration. Religion doesn't make a jot of difference.

If you buy an item of clothing, even if they don't have a fitting room, you have to make sure it is suitable as there is no law that gives you the right of return and refund if it doesn't fit.

I do think they are being harsh and just a quiet word would have done on what you should do in future. Ask them for clear guidelines on what you should be doing because if they have never told you then how are you expected to know? Don't let them walk all over you, point out that Muslim customers appreciate a high level of service and that you're trying to encourage more buyers by offering that even if you did make a mistake.

You sound like an asset to the company and one they should be keeping.

? Don't let them walk all over you, point out that Muslim customers appreciate a high level of service and that you're trying to encourage more buyers by offering that even if you did make a mistake.

All customers appreciate the same high level of service of course :).

Also if you are pursuing this further you need to know exactly what it is you did wrong. Was it loosing the sale ?

If so, is it company policy to make a sale irrespective of the needs of the customer, not good for repeat business I would have thought.

Edited by Dodgeball

You haven't told us why the manager was annoyed. There are several possible valid reasons.

For example, perhaps he is annoyed because you should have told him before the sale not after.

Another possible reason is that you are not allowed to do refunds without a manager's authority.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Yes, but I guided him that the item what he has bought is not suitable for him, as I'm from same religion and I can understand , that why is that item not suitable for him.

Maybe he was buying the item for some one else or is that also offensive to your religion?

I agree; your job is to sell goods, not advise on religious adherence. Why was the manager angry?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Yes hang on a minute.

If you were helping the customer to obtain the product HE wanted, then you were doing your job and there should have been no complaint.

If however you were directing him to the product that you for some reason think he should have, then they are right in bending your ear.

As i see it, if the customer is a practising Muslim then I see no wrong in just informing him that the product was not Halal . Having said that do you have evidence that he was practising . If it had been a bottle of alcohol would you have questioned him about it.

What I am saying is that not all believers in whatever denomination follow ALL the laws of that religion.

Not all Jews eat Kosher or indeed have two fridges, sets of pots and pans

Not all Christians refuse meat on a friday (some do)

I know meat eating Hindus, I know sikhs who drink and smoke and i know Muslims who drink or smoke but would still observe Ramadan .

Is it possible that you were forcing him to follow your standards

Having said all that I think that if you just gave information then you have done nothing wrong

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

He was looking very practicing Muslim, with long beard, and I was just informed him once. I did not force him (as I can not force to anybody). I just felt, that I should let him know just once. And that's what I did. And I told him after sale.

I think that the best thing you can do if the Manager pursues this (and it sounds as though they aren't at the moment) is to stress that you believed that you were offering good service and trying to avoid a potential return of the goods.

Of course if this involved you performing an unauthorised void transaction then this may be a separate matter for you to explain.

As far as any repercussions go, I think you should take this as a warning not to do the same thing in future. If you have no religious objection to actually handling the product, then best keep your opinion about what a customer buys or doesn't buy to yourself. Halal is normally clearly labelled as such and you would probably be well advised to let a customer choose or make a mistake for themselves. The mistake may be on you in future and could result in a complaint if the customer had actually made a conscious decision to buy the product in question despite his or her religion.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

So he was served at a different till and you refunded him after pointing out it wasn't Halal? Again the customer has to make their own choice and once purchased they have no reason for a refund unless the goods are faulty or mis-described. I buy whisky and men's underwear but it doesn't mean I am going to be the end consumer and drinking or wearing them! It's buyer beware..they have to select what's right for them.

You asked if you did anything wrong. Well, some people think you did. Your manager has certainly not acted illegally.

Is there any further help you need?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!