• Tweets

• Thanks DX,    I will update if they outsource to another company or issue any of proceedings (unlikely I know)    cheers, 
    • go up on your UC log-in it should tell you if you are entitled to free prescriptions. if you are, then yes  and yes go get all your moneyback.    
    • I would expect revenue officers are quite aware of the time of day they are manning barriers. i'd also go as far as to say they don't bother to do this in off peak times... as there would be little point, no loss of revenue to protect.   they man the barriers at peak times, when people have purchased their permit to travel at a peak time travelled at a peak time arrived at their destination at a peak time.   thus they prevent: [loss of revenue] the traveller simply paying for an off peak fare when they just travelled in peak time [and most probably are a worker] getting an off peak return when they are travelling back home in peak time [worker returning home]     in other words ..fare dodgers.   your intended return was off-peak, but you didn't tell them.. we'll never know when your permit to travel was purchased nor if you travelled in peak time....but as from about post 5 i'll hedge my bets..   yes you are entitled as others may well be, to a refund because you were returning off peak but if you don't tell 'em…….   as for our experts , its either they are on holiday, which is none of our business or they sussed you out a longtime ago and don't want an argument here that they have 1000's of times in their regular work....   anyway  I've said all this from the start this thread is getting boring and repetitive.   dx ...    
    • @BankFodder and @BazzaS Thank you for your responses ~ I take on board all that you've said, and can only apologise again for all the narrative.   My nephew who's been [supposedly] dealing with this for over 6 months, unfortunately didn't have the experience and was consequently taken in by them and the way they 'operate', and he consequently let me down massively including through the Ombudsman this 2nd time: * 2nd Complaint with Ombudsman initially registered 11/04/2019 but, not registered properly until 15/04/2019 through their helpline (by this time my nephew, who was down as my rep for the Ombudsman, too, and the preferred contact, was away and out of the country until 07/05/2019, which was the day before the ombudsman's system had given for all evidence to be in). * Eventually after asking for and being granted 2 or 3 extensions all evidence had to be submitted by the 28/05/2019, though I was still able to keep adding evidence which would supposedly be taken into consideration (it wasn't...don't think any of it was, and it didn't take me long to work that one out!) via the messaging system. * On the BH Saturday (25/05/2019) during a phone session with my nephew in a last ditch attempt to try to get the evidence on the site, he ended-up really pushing my boundaries over this (I've finally had EMDR last year for all the trauma I've been through and that had finally kicked in)...I ended-up calling my nephew a patronizing [and might have used the F word!] prick and turning the phone off. Haven't spoken to him since, or the rest of my family, am only communicating with them through emails, texts and messenger on Facebook, and am intending to keep it that way until I'm god and ready. * The Ombudsman eventually issued his decision on 05/07/2019 (N.B. During this time he'd contacted me twice on the phone, thus bypassing my nephew's status as npower have been doing for years, including in the run-up to my lodging the latest complaint with the Ombudsman). * Npower appealed the decision on the 11/07 (the arrogance of that will strike you once I get the chance to upload the evidence I've been accumulating over the time my nephew has been 'dealing' with them and subsequently), I appealed the decision on the 18/07, which was the day before the final 14 days to appeal were up (N.B. During our 2nd converation, the Ombudsman had told me, whilst prefacing this with "I probably shouldn't be telling you this..." 🤪, that if I left it until the day before, I'd then have another 14 days whilst he considered the 'appeal' and then, even after that, I'd have recourse to appeal to his manager if I felt he'd got something wrong!!..........Yeh right! 🤬). * In the end he rejected both of our appeals and this is the basis of his response on the 01/08/2019, which he'd taken to be a relatively simple billing issue, along with my not having understood my bills and never having paid enough all along (NOPE!):- "Some of the bills are shown differently on the spreadsheets, but the information is the same. For example, on the first spreadsheet there is a bill of £3,032.40 on 4 October 2018. On the second spreadsheet there are three bills issued on 4 October 2018 for £677.33, £678.30, and £1,676.77. These three bills add up to £3,032.40. I appreciate that this can be confusing for customer’s, but this is something I did cover in my original decision. Whilst I acknowledge npower’s point that a manual bill will essentially contain the same information as the bills previously issued, it is the way in which the information is presented that is crucial to assisting the customer to understand their account better. After considering the appeals from you and npower, I can see no justifiable reason to change the decision, which I maintain is fair and reasonable for both parties, based on the evidence I have reviewed. I confirm that Ombudsman Services: Energy’s full and final decision is that npower should: • Issue a letter of apology. • Apply a credit of £120.00 to account 142309111 for the two failed appointments in 2015 in line with the terms of the Guaranteed Standards of Service. • Apply a goodwill gesture credit of £200.00 to account 142309111 in recognition of the shortfalls in service. • Provide the customer with a manual bill to show a clear breakdown of charges, payments, and credits on account 142309111 for the period from 19 February 2013 to 19 February 2019. We have now reached the end of our investigation process and there is no further opportunity to appeal. You now must decide if you agree to accept our decision in full and final settlement of the complaint."   * I haven't accepted it (why would I, when it's based on lies; npower breaching every SLC and Customer Obligation going with me; the GDPR and former DPA; fraudulently altering my data to fit in with their narrative; obfuscating, kicking-up a dust-storm, using bullying and harrasment every time they're challenged, all with the intention of trying to put the onus of responsibility for .managing. my account back onto me and save themselves coming under further scrutiny with Ofgem...though they're so far behind what has gone-on with this company over the years and/or they just don't want to unsettle their "Dear Stakeholders", especially with one of the Big 6; and all whilst I've been finally able to get the very damning evidence together against them?!). I'm about integrity and having a moral compass ~ everything this company isn't and lacks ~ and I will no longer compromise that for anything or anyone, particularly not this shower of 💩s in npower.   So yes @BazzaS I " a) want to take action" and furthermore, I believe I've got a very good case against them with your help.   Again thank you both for your support and I'll start on the bullet list over the week-end and also start uploading evidence (I've got rhemes of it on a USB stick, which I'm currently redacting the important ones of).   GM  
    • Hello.   I have received one of these penalty notices  for a prescription from several months ago.  I usually have a prepayment card but they're saying it may have expired, which it could have done.  Unfortunately, I can't find the card itself so I can't confirm.  I was going to pay the penalty on the grounds I may have carelessly let it expire but on the website for paying it says I may be entitled to free NHS prescriptions as I'm claiming Universal Credit.  I can't recall which elements but I suspect it's child tax credits and possibly something due to not high salary.   I'd never considered that I may be eligible but if this is true, then I may have been buying the prepayment card unnecessarily.  Which makes me wonder if I can avoid paying this fine because even though I ticked the box to say I have a prepayment card, which was technically not the case if it's expired, I may be eligible for free prescriptions.  Assuming I am, which I will try to determine next week for sure, do you think I can appeal the penalty based on the wrong box being ticked but ultimately it not be a fraudulent claim because I am entitled to them free anyway.   Does that make sense?  Your thoughts on the matter are all appreciated.
  • Our picks

Dollydoo

oak furniture turns out to be oak veneer!

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1889 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,

I bought some oak furniture from AHF store in Colchester.

I remember being told it was oak and I believed it to be solid oak.

I can't remember if the sales person said solid oak but I do know that the word veneer never came into the conversation

because I would not have made the purchase.

I just unpacked some of the items and it turns out that they are in fact oak veneer.

I phoned the store who says I need to speak to the person who sold it to me,

but that most furniture these days is only veneer and I probably won't be able to return it!

He said if it had been solid oak it would say so on the paperwork. it doesn't, it just says Oak sideboard etc.

I don't want veneered chipwood and want to return it.

I will be speaking to the manager tomorrow but meantime I wanted a few tips on what I should or shouldn't say and if I do have any rights.

We paid in full at time of purchase by credit card.

Hi

In my opinion, if they have stated that the furniture was oak (and not oak veneer) then this is not as described and falls within SoGA.

Check this link out to see whether you can reject

http://sogahub.tradingstandards.gov.uk/

While the link is designed for traders, it does give consumers a very good idea of their rights.

If the company refuse a refund, you can do a s75 chargeback with the credit card company

I suggest you formally reject the goods in writing. What does the receipt say?

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Thanks for that, I've had a read and i'll be speaking to the manager in the morning (Monday). The invoice just lists the items as:

oak desk/studio 8000-66/oak followed by delivery time & price etc.

Well, that is pretty clear. Oak desk!

Woodchip/MDF with an oak veneer is not oak.

You can try calling but I do think that email/letter is a better way to go as (unless you record a call) you would have no proof of what was said.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Hi, really appreciate your help.

I phoned and more or less got called a liar

- said he told me it was mostly oak but large flat areas were veneer!

He (the manager) just kept repeating that he had made it clear to me and nothing more could be done, advised me to phone customer services

- they said I had what I ordered and referred me back to the store?! Pointless.

I told them I was going to trading standards.

I will email them to clarify that i'm not happy etc and I have already initiated a chargeback with Barclaycard.

Do you know what happens next?

thanks again

can someone please advise - I have received this email from AHF, I'm not sure of the best response really.

"

An uplift and refund has not been agreed.

Unfortunately, AHF will not progress this issue any further,

you have the goods as ordered and signed for,

they are a fair representation of the goods seen on display in store,

whilst the sales invoice reads OAK, this refers to the colour of the furniture,

it does not specify that the goods are solid oak.

Please be assured of our best intentions at all times"

Stop emailing.

Write a letter to their head office. I will try and find an address for you.

hi that has come from head office customer services, I cc'd them the store copy

AHF INTERNET LIMITED

BURCH HOUSE

SAVILLE ROAD

PETERBOROUGH

CAMBS

PE3 7PR

There is also this name

MR RICHARD ANTHONY JONES

In my opinion, your letter should state that you formally reject the item as being 'Not as described'

Hi,

I did state in my email that I was rejecting the goods as they were not as described

and that my invoice said oak desk etc and this is the only response I've had.

I said I wanted my money back under SOGA and gave them 7 days to give me a date for them to pick up the furniture.

I will write a letter to the name & address you've supplied, thanks for that.

What happens if this just goes back & forth (ie my word against theirs and they keep refusing to budge?)

thanks again for your advice - I have requested a chargeback.

Hopefully the chargeback will work.

I have asked for the site team to have a look at this thread. they may be able to offer differing advice.

I cannot for the life of me see how they can say that 'Oak Desk' means oak colour.

I dont see how they can claim the item is an "oak desk" and assume people will realise it is only the colour.

I have looked at their online store and cannot see any desks, so was this a store offer ?

Their items within their Chantilly Range (Oak) is made up from solids and veneers and is advertised as such.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy -

HERE

2: Take back control of your finances -

Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated -

Please Read

BCOBS

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I bought in store, had a look at it as I liked the design.

I have to say I didn't look too closely as the sales rep said it was all American oak.

As I had just bought an oak wardrobe in the sale (which I did inspect for any damage) I believed him.

He did say the desk came flat pack but the rest of the furniture came built.

He never mentioned veneers, I wouldn't have bought it.

I wasn't given a brochure either.

I have since found the furniture on another website and this does say oak and veneers.

get the credit card company involved under section 75.

goods not as described.

dx

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

spreadsheets 

I have just posted the form back to the credit card company. But i'm not sure of the sequence of events or what I should do if the credit card don't refund. Should I respond to the customer service reply - it looks like they're prepared to deny any wrong-doing

The CC Co will raise a complaint and contact the vendor's bank with details of your complaint. You need to return the item to the store with a letter rejecting it, on the basis that it is oak veneer and not solid oak as you were led to believe. The letter should demand a full refund to be made to your CC a/c within 14 days.

Only then do you have a proper dispute with the CC Co and the store, which the CC Co can pursue under s.75 CCA 1974.

It's not a foregone conclusion that you'll get a refund just because you want one. The two banks will run the investigation with input from you and the vendor.

Thanks to s.75, you have recourse against your CC Co as they share joint responsibility with the vendor (if the price paid was £100 or more).

So if the vendor and the CC Co refuse to refund, you can sue them both jointly in the county court.

You need good proof that the items advertised did not say "oak veneer". Take screen shots of anything on the website that you can show to be misleading about your item. It is not adequate for you to say the sales guy told you it was oak, as opposed to oak veneer.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Out of interest, can you confirm what the item was and roughly what it cost.

I've looked using "desk/studio, etc" and can't find it.

:-)

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi, to clarify, I was instore looking at a wardrobe & looked at a couple of desks as well. there was no brochure just the price which was discounted. After chatting with the sales staff and having a look at the furniture I made the purchase. Its only after delivery and unpacking the desk that I've seen its chipwood with a veneer. I haven't even opened the other items. I bought a desk (flat pack) with 2 filing cabinets and a narrow sideboard which are ready built. the sales invoice says as follows:

Oak Desk/ studio 8000-66 / 084033884 / oak. £279.99 discount £28. £251.99 the other items are

listed in the same way. I've just noticed the delivery note describes it the same way.

I've paid a total of £1,614.95 which included the £49. delivery charge.

It is only since complaining that I've managed to find the furniture on another website and yes it does say veneer.

I would need to hire a van to deliver the furniture back to the store as well as a couple of burley blokes to carry it as its very heavy. I don't mind doing that but what if they refuse to accept it back/sign for it?

I wouldn't have minded so much if it was just support framework in a cheaper wood but the desk top/front is veneered which I really object to.

http://www.styleourhome.com/oak-office-furniture/studio-oak/cat_338.html

If this is the correct page, the "studio oak" range does state that it is a mix of veneers and solid oaks !

I will be removing the link in a couple of hours.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy -

HERE

2: Take back control of your finances -

Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated -

Please Read

BCOBS

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi Dolly,

I've just spoken to Style Our Home and the desk there has an oak frame and the top is oak panels topped with an oak veneer. If you bought these, I think you would have trouble getting a refund if it is, in fact, solid oak throughout.

But what is important to your case is exactly how the products you bought were described, and how they are actually constructed.

Can you give us a link to the item as listed on AHF ?

Hi, that's the range, different store though. but I didn't see this before I'd made my purchase at AHF, like I said, I was in the store buying something else when I saw it. I wasn't even offered a brochure on the range.

Hi Slick,

It definitely looks like chipwood - and the person I spoke to on the phone at AHF said I would be hard pushed to get solid oak as most furniture these days is made of chipwood or the like and then veneered. although I can't see why one would put oak veneer on top of an oak panel? I would probably settle for that at least it would be all oak like I was told. I don't have a link to the AHF website, it doesn't seem to be listed.

Hi Dolly,

Can you tell us what looks like chipboard ?

Is the furniture not either solid oak or oak veneer, in which case I wouldn't expect to see any chipboard visible.

This link goes to AHF - http://www.ahf.co.uk/

The same item is here and is described as oak veneer on oak panels - http://www.oakfurnituresolutions.co.uk/p/10975/Studio_Oak_Desk.html

The reason veneer is used on panels is that the panels will be a more stable desk top than one relatively thin sheet of oak; or base panels of oak can be of a lower grade with a nicer veneer on top.