Housing Benefit

Philip56

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3111 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Why does housing benefit pay the full cost on a rented property (£400-£500 per month) but will only pay the interest on a mortgaged property £80-£120 per month. leaving me over £300 to find while on Employment and Support Allowance of £71.20 per week. Surely this is discrimination against the house owner. Is there any way round this .

I would love to challenge this ruling in the courts. does anyone know where/how to start proceedings.

Well as far as i know mortgage interest is paid by dwp and hb by the council. If you talk to your mortgage provider they may well put you on interest only. If you took out a repayment mortgage and the did not work for the term of the mortgage in effect the dwp would be landing you a huge windfall of the property value. Now that wouldn't be fair

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

To me that is no argument. If I bought a house with a mortgage and rented it out to someone on benefits who is claiming full housing benefit the rent would cover the mortgage and therefore as the landlord I would end up with a property paid for by the dwp. These rules are never thought out.