Universal Credit

odds
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3779 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Just a quick question regarding UC.

A relative recently found himself out of work recently, thankfully only briefly, and he was told to apply for UC.

During his claim term, 3 weeks, he needed to have a tooth out, which is no problem as on UC you can get free dental treatment.

However, he got a letter from NHS Dental Services stating that they have no record of him being on Income Based JSA at the time of the treatment and they want written proof that he was. There is a 5 page questionaire to fill in and nowhere at all does it mention UC, is this just a sign that the computer systems have not been updated to take this new benefit into account ?

In the past this would be no problem, but he has got nothing to prove it as his claim was all done online at the Job Center with an 'advisor' and the only documents he got were leaflets about the Rules and Regulations about claiming UC.

Anyway that is not the point I wanted to enquire about.

I have just been reading that UC does not replace Contribution Based JSA, which he would surely have been entitled to in the first place having worked full time since leaving school 9 years ago.

Was he misadvised or am I missing something obvious ?

Can anyone clarify the situation please.

Pete.

Hi,

Just a quick question regarding UC.

A relative recently found himself out of work recently, thankfully only briefly, and he was told to apply for UC.

During his claim term, 3 weeks, he needed to have a tooth out, which is no problem as on UC you can get free dental treatment.

However, he got a letter from NHS Dental Services stating that they have no record of him being on Income Based JSA at the time of the treatment and they want written proof that he was. There is a 5 page questionaire to fill in and nowhere at all does it mention UC, is this just a sign that the computer systems have not been updated to take this new benefit into account ?

In the past this would be no problem, but he has got nothing to prove it as his claim was all done online at the Job Center with an 'advisor' and the only documents he got were leaflets about the Rules and Regulations about claiming UC.

Anyway that is not the point I wanted to enquire about.

I have just been reading that UC does not replace Contribution Based JSA, which he would surely have been entitled to in the first place having worked full time since leaving school 9 years ago.

Pete.

Not everything on NHS dental care is free !

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/universal-credit.aspx

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/dentists/Pages/dental-%20emergency-and-out-of-hours-care.aspx

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/dentists/Pages/nhs-dental-charges.aspx

Edited by 45002

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Thanks for the links, although I couldn't find anything that would suggest treatment was not free if you are entitled to UC in his circumstances.

I did find this though:

You do not have to pay if, during the course of treatment, you or your partner, receive:

Income Support

Income-related Employment and Support Allowance

Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance

Pension Credit guarantee credit

Universal Credit

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/Dentalcosts.aspx

I also spotted this small statement:

Most forms will not yet have a box for Universal Credit. If this is the case, you should tick the box for income-based Jobseeker's Allowance

It would appear to me that this is causing some confusion to people doing checks somewhere down the line.

Pete.

Pete.

UC does not replace JSA©, which remains available. Does he have a partner who doesn't work?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Hi,

he needed to have a tooth out

Could be wrong,but the way I read it is

Because OP relative has had a "Extraction" that is not covered by "Routine treatment" there would cost one off charge of £18.00.

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Could be wrong but,think because OP freind has had a "Extraction" that is not covered and would cost one off charge of £18.00.

Perhaps - I'm in Scotland where the rules are sometimes different - but it seems to me that the NHS isn't arguing that the treatment is not covered for those on means tested benefits, but that OP's friend was not on means tested benefits. In respect of that matter, I'd ask the DWP office that processes the UC claim for an award letter.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Perhaps - I'm in Scotland where the rules are sometimes different - but it seems to me that the NHS isn't arguing that the treatment is not covered for those on means tested benefits, but that OP's friend was not on means tested benefits. In respect of that matter, I'd ask the DWP office that processes the UC claim for an award letter.

I see what you mean and yes it's is All very confusing.

I think there is a one off charge for "Extraction" as it's not classed as routine treatment regardless of what income rated benefits someone may be receiving ?

You can get FREE treatment at a NHS dental hospital,but there a waiting list and treatment is under taken by students training to become a Dentist under supervision of a Consultant.

That is the exact point antone, he has no dependants or partner, single and living with parents. What I can't understand though is why wasn't he told to claim JSA© which he would have been entitled to(I think).

Pete.