British Gas Dispute - Unlawfule Deafult Notice / Breach of Data Protection / Back Billing Non Compliance & more....

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3114 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HiThis is my first post as I have found myself caught up in a horrible complex dispute with British Gas. It's a very long story, but I was hoping I would be able to get some advice on my rights for a number of issues.In summary, my husband passed away in Sep 2010. (I was not living at his property at the time). I contacted BG in Oct 10 to inform them, give them my contact details, and to take on the direct debit payments so that the energy supplies were not cut off to the house. Between Nov 10 and Sep 11, when the house was sold I paid aa total of £1,551. British Gas sent me final bills which resulted in a refund to me of £1,100.To my surprise the next I hear is in Feb 2013 when I recieve letters (addressed to my late husband at my new address that I had never given to BG) from a debt collection agency that BG have instructed. I contact them to first be told that the account would be closed. To then have months of hounding from them threatening legal proceedings even though I was in constant email contact trying to understand what the debt was for. I asked that the case was passed back to BG as they couldn't provide the information I needed.Unbeknown to me BG had already put a default notice on my personal credit file in Apr 13. This was without any warning from them. I still hadn't even recieved a copy of the revised bill they raised in Oct 12 as they sent it to my late husbands property! For 6 months I have been trying to get to the bottom of why a new bill was raised and their answer was that the new occupiers gave them new readings in Oct 12 for the position in Sep 11 when they moved in. BG claim that because they credited the new occupiers account, I am liable for the consumption and if I don't agree then it's a third party dispute for me to take up with the new ocupiers. I have reached deadlock with BG and so today have written to the energy ombudsman fo an investigation.I would be grateful for the opinions on the points below;Can BG legally put a default on my personal credit file for the debt of my late husband when I wasn't even living in the property? I did request that the account was amended to the representatives of his estate.Have BG breached the Data Protection Act by passing on my details to their debt collection agency?Would the back billing code of practice apply considering the accounts closed in Sep 11 and their revised bill was raised in Oct 12 (13 months later)?I have a few other issues regarding the harrassment I recieved by the debt collection agency, which BG say has nothing to do with them!, and the incredibly poor customer service recieved by BG resulting in days of my time being wasted.What do you think?