Barclays account closure no notice given

tommo8
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3625 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Team,

PLS ADVISE me on how to recover this money.

Barclays bank has closed down my a/c last week.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48280[/ATTACH]

I went to withdraw the balance of 1500 plus pounds couple of days ago.

Bank said that they cant release the funds, that I have to write to them and proving these funds belongs to me and provide proof too.

On the bank letter that was been sent it does not mention this for funds withdrwal...yet i was told to write in... by the bank manager. I asked him why the letter did not mention anything about providing proof... and he said that's the way they do it.

Well I don't agree with what he said...

therefore I feel they doing something wrong and that's why they do not mention anything about having to write-in, for the withdraw of funds on the letter...

It sounds cagey...may be it is against the law.. that they are holding these funds. Because it was not the case .. they why couldn't they mention about it on the letter.

I would appreciate advise on next steps.

Are they recommended companies that deal with these matters on getting the money back?

tks

tom

Edited by tommo8

Convert the image to PDF, edit out your personal info and reupload it. It sounds like they are suspecting you of money laundering or something similar.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Hi Tommo and welcome to CAG

To enable us to read the doc't use this guide to scan and post the letter. See post #122 - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?214191-HSBC-solicitors-northampton-claim-help-pls&p=3808613&viewfull=1#post3808613

Do you use the a/c to move money around, maybe abroad. Are you trading in some way or other. This does sound like they have concerns that :-

1. You may have triggered money laundering alarms.

2. Been involved in some form of bank account fraud. In this case you need to look at CIFAS and see if they have any negative markers against you.

If you don't already have one, you need to open a new a/c with a different bank quickly or you may be left with no banking facilities.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Simple question. Have you asked them for a written explanation why they are closing your account?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Hi Tommo,

In my last post, I asked :-

Do you use the a/c to move money around, maybe abroad. Are you trading in some way or other.

Can you answer this.

Can you also say approx how long you've banked with Barclays as this may be relevant if you come to complain about the a/c closure.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

I take it you recently had a deposit made into the account?

They probably have reason to suspect the money has been fraudulently obtained.

They have told you that in order to withdraw the money, you must provide proof that the funds are yours - so that is exactly what you must do. It's in your interests to comply with them.

(PS: I'd expect a visit from the police at some point).

They probably have reason to suspect the money has been fraudulently obtained.

(PS: I'd expect a visit from the police at some point).

There are several circumstances which will flag a case to be referred for a Money Laundering review. I think it more likely this is the reason for the closure, rather than suspicion of money being obtained fraudulently.

In my years of experience here on CAG with many similar cases, I have never heard of a police visit.

However, further info from Tommo is needed or we are just speculating.

There are several circumstances which will flag a case to be referred for a Money Laundering review. I think it more likely this is the reason for the closure, rather than suspicion of money being obtained fraudulently.

In my years of experience here on CAG with many similar cases, I have never heard of a police visit.

However, further info from Tommo is needed or we are just speculating.

I don't know, banks (HSBC in particular) of course don't want anything to do with fraudulently obtained money so much that suspicion is enough at the moment. Why would they ask for proof of where the money came from?

Interesting, although I suspect the genuine criminals who the police are chasing will not be posting here.

Why would they ask for proof of where the money came from?

Because its suspected money laundering perhaps? THe regulations state that if the account holder cannot prove the money is legit on an investigation, then the bank can close the account. The police COULD also be informed as well. However, if the police were notified, the bank would NOT have alerted you first.

The police would have investigated, then just turned up and arrested you if there was any sign of foul play.

Because its suspected money laundering perhaps? THe regulations state that if the account holder cannot prove the money is legit on an investigation, then the bank can close the account. The police COULD also be informed as well. However, if the police were notified, the bank would NOT have alerted you first.

The police would have investigated, then just turned up and arrested you if there was any sign of foul play.

It was a rhetorical question - that was exactly the point I was making. :oops:

It was a rhetorical question - that was exactly the point I was making. :oops:

Sorry. Im half asleep, but good to know we agree anyway :)

• 4 months later...