LL Selling House - AST signed, rights?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3779 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good morning all,

I’ve had a bit of a read and have a couple of specific queries.

Myself and my partner have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy on our flat. We moved in November 2012 signing an agreement for 12 months, and last month we signed a new agreement which will expire on 1 November 2014. This agreement is signed with our Landlord’s company and not a letting agent, and our deposit is protected under the DPS.

We were informed in writing last week that the Landlord is intending to sell the property within the next 6 weeks and is currently looking for a buyer. They are intending to sell it direct to another Landlord after having a valuation done. This is fine but my partner is very worried after several horror stories among our friends that we will be evicted by the new Landlord or at best our rent changed substantially.

I’ve read over the AST and it refers to Section 8 and 21 as grounds for eviction, although I think only Section 21 (2 months notice) would apply were the new Landlord to want us out. I’m not sure, however, if our signed tenancy agreement would carry over to the new Landlord or if they can just kick us out of their own volition.

Can someone advise whether my thinking is correct and whether the tenancy will carry on to the new Landlord, or we will need to resign with them?

Also a number of changes to the inventory have not been recorded as yet - work has been done to the flat and I have notified the current Landlord of damage sustained to the floors by builders installing things. The inventory has not yet been updated so should I ensure this is signed before the Landlord sells?

Finally are there any other actions should I take to protect myself going forward?

Many thanks!