Removal 24 hours notice from Jacobs - Help!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3780 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

Just what I needed the week before christmas!

The council have a liability order for rates. I fell behind with payments as I haven't been paid for several months.

The letter was posted through the letter box, so as soon as I saw it I called them.

They said it had to be paid in full and to ring back with payment. I told them that I don't have it, he said they'd be back to take stuff and if they couldn't get anything they'd commence bankruptcy proceedings.

He also said they finish on Friday and it would have to be sorted by then.

I've tried to ring him again this morning but am getting voicemail.

The debt is circa £600.

I spoke to the council but they said there was nothing they can do. I don't dispute t, I just can't do anything about it right at this moment.

I'm having a read through the forums, but could do with quick advice of what they can / can't do.

Really worried that they'll turn up with a lorry and take our car or something.

There is no right of entry for the bailiffs despite what they may say

There will be no removal of goods as from now on doors will be locked and property secure at all times

There is no locksmith either

They will not get a levy on your car as you will not keep it on your drive it will be either garaged of kept away from the property for now

You can pay towards this debt direct to the council on there web site or automated telephone service

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

No finance on car, worth c10x whats owed.

Still can't get hold of bailiff.

Hide the car Jacobs will clamp and ask questions later. They may clamp a neighbours or random car adjacent to your property for your debt also, if they do it makes things easier for you to complain to the council and attempt to get them to remove the account from Jacobs. For the facilitation of correct advice, did THE BAILIFF intimate He/She would instigate bankruptcy proceedings?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Yep, threatened bankruptcy.

They talk dribble not down to them

Bet they did not tell you that millions of liability orders are issued each year

And if you deny them entry and a levy they give up and move on to the next victim and hand it back to the council

Start paying the council weekly is good payment history will stack up

Contact council and see if you can claim council tax benefit if not earning

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

They talk dribble not down to them

Bet they did not tell you that millions of liability orders are issued each year

And if you deny them entry and a levy they give up and move on to the next victim and hand it back to the council

Start paying the council weekly is good payment history will stack up

Contact council and see if you can claim council tax benefit if not earning

Good advice but bear in mind that you must keep the bailiff out and deny him a levy. that way his fees are capped at two visit fees, totalling £42.50. However be aware that Jacobs are clamp happy and WILL clamp and levy your car if they see it so keep it well away from your hose or lock it in a garage if you have one; they have form for removing and selling third party cars as well, as they regard anything near your property as fair game, and will likely quote Observer v Gordon as their defence when challenged by the neighbour whose motor they clamp.

As to threatening bankruptcy as per I hate bailiffs, only the council can do that, and if they say that they, the almighty Jacobs are going to do that it could turn nasty for them.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

I think you should make a formal complaint in writing to the council - take 2 copies down to their offices and get whoever takes the letter to sign one copy to prove receipt and you keep that one for yourself. While ever there is a formal complaint lodged they have to suspend any bailiff or other enforcement action until the matter is resolved. If you need help with the letter please let me know - you really should get this done this afternoon.

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.