Crisis Loan - DWP

sinkinghelp
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3658 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all

I have received a letter on the 17th of December dated the 11th of December in which the DWP state they are recovering a Crisis Loan on the the 12th of December out of my Employment Support Allowance.

The Crisis Loan was paid to me in November 2011 and repaid in January 2012

The DWP alledge that this money has not been repaid.

Sadly the cash payments I made into the local jobcentre for which I received a receipt does not seem to have been paid anywhere hence the demand for payment.

Thankfully I have one receipt that did not get shredded recently with everything else and the DWP tell me that they have no knowledge of that receipt number.

I have also had to make a formal request for this to be investigated via the recoveries section of the DWP

I have also written to another section of the DWP requesting a Subject Access Disclosure regarding the application and any other documentation they hold computer or paper based

Has anyone else had this so long after an initial Crisis Loan was given

regards

sinkinghelp

This does come up on the forum from time to time - hopefully someone who's experienced the situation will see your post and offer more specific advice as to how they resolved the situation. In the meantime I think you've done the right things by asking for them to review the case and sending a SAR.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All

well still no response from the DWP and I still waiting for my subject access data request

I wonder how long they will drag this out

They are still deducting wrongly the money in order to repay a crisis loan I have already repaid

regards

sinkinghelp

A SAR should be returned within 40 days, so I'd give them another couple of weeks to comply. If you haven't had a response by the end of January, send a "time is up" letter and report it to the ICO.

The appeal/investigation process could take a while, but it doesn't hurt to send a reminder now and then. If they drag their feet for an unreasonable period, get your local MP involved.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Hi

Do you know the dates you made the payments? (roughly at least!)

The jobcentre should retain the carbon copies of the receipts you were issued for 6 years (it can be traced by the number too - this should be at the jobcentre itself not the social fund office).

Can you arrange an appointment at the jobcentre where you made the payments and see if they can trace it in their finance office?

Hello Sarah

Thank you for the reply. I did actualy find a receipt number and payment amout with a date. However the DWP employee I spoke to dismissed that information entirely and said there was no trace of the receipt number - amount - and that the amount despite being two years old had to be repaid.

So I am awaiting the response to my letters and the SAR request but they have 40 days so I will not hold my breath

regards

sinkinghelp

Was it someone in the actual Jobcentre you spoke to, or someone on the phone?

If someone on the phone, the receipt number won't mean anything to them as this is part of the Jobcentre's records and not recorded anywhere else. It sounds to me like you've paid the money at the Jobcentre, and whoever took the money has failed to notify the Crisis Loan repayment section. There will however be a record in the Jobcentre itself of the money being taken from you. An antiquated paper record, but it will be there all the same in the form of the carbon copy of your receipt in a serial-numbered pad.

If you haven't already done so, you need to speak to someone in the actual office where you paid the cash in - if possible, take in your copy of the receipt in person. If they refuse to help or look into it for you (and there's no reason why they shouldn't), then you need to put a complaint in writing (again to the Jobcentre itself where you actually paid in the cash), which will be passed higher up the chain so it could be looked into:

a) why they are refusing to investigate

b) why no record of a financial transaction has been retained at the office.

Good luck!

Hello Sarah_Pussycat

Thanks again for the reply all good sound comments. I firstly telephoned then followed up with letters. I have in fact written again yesterday pointing out certain facts

The SAR request has not been responded to at all and I have phoned and written, I will keep the pressure on as they have really dropped a huge clanger this time

as and when I get any response I will report back

thanks again for posting

sinkinghelp

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

Hello all

Well its getting no better in fact its turning into a nightmare. SAR request ignored. Recorded delivery letters to local jobcenter and Crisis Loans recovery unit ignored

New letter today demanding crisis loan repayment and informing me that they were deducting the money until repaid from my employment and support allowance again .

I have telephoned again both centres and asked for a complaint e-mail to be raised

I wonder now should I call DWP Fraud number as someone at the Jobcentre where I paid this cash has either kept it or failed to account for it correctly

Its really becoming a nightmare

regards

sinkinghelp

SAR request ignored. Recorded delivery letters to local jobcenter and Crisis Loans recovery unit ignored

File a complaint with the Information Commissioner's Office.

Contact your local MP and get him/her to apply pressure on the DWP department concerned.

Hello Mr P

I have just received a telephone call from the DWP which explained that they had now found the missing money and appologised for the way the matter has been handled.

I am also to receive an appology

I do intend however to continue with my SAR enquiry and informing ICO

Thank you to all who responded and all I can say is dont back down if you are sure of your facts because someone here had made a serious error and despite what they say errors do occur

thanks again

regards

sinkinghelp

Hello Mr P

I have just received a telephone call from the DWP which explained that they had now found the missing money and appologised for the way the matter has been handled.

I am also to receive an appology

I do intend however to continue with my SAR enquiry and informing ICO

Thank you to all who responded and all I can say is dont back down if you are sure of your facts because someone here had made a serious error and despite what they say errors do occur

thanks again

regards

sinkinghelp

I hope they are also going to be refunding any money they have taken from your support allowance + interest.

A subject access request should be responded to within 40 calendar days - after which time you can make a complaint to the Information Commissioner.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hello all

Thats a good point about interest - I forgot to mention that. Its just amazing that they ignore numerous recorded delivery letters but only get interested when I state that I intend to contact the Fraud Hotline and or Police that its then investigated and sorted.

Its quite clear from my point of view that this money despite being given a receipt had not been allocated or accounted for correctly

I did mention several times that there is obviously a training or discipline issue or both and the person who phoned me quite correctly I suppose said that he could not comment

anyway sorted but I will progress with the S A R and have a read

thanks again to all who responded and to the others do not give up !

regards

Sinkinghelp

Indeed. I too have been subjected to an "error" - The DWP claimed an overpayment had been made because I had not informed them of some p/t temp work I had done. I retained dated, signed copies of the paperwork so could prove I had informed them of the work. Didn't get an apology though.

Anyways, congratulations on getting a satisfactory outcome - I'd suggest filing the letter of apology somewhere safe just in case the DWP tries it on again in other ten years.

Hello All

Thought I had done with this saga. BUT NO !

Got another letter today so that is three this week all from different Jobcentre's plus 1 other from the Social Fund office.

The letter today tells me that they are taking the Crisis Loan by instalments same as the others did and make no reference to the recorded delivery letters I have sent on this subject

I have telephoned the Social Fund to speak to the member of staff who stated that the money was repaid when I said in January 2012 and that I would be receiving a letter of appology and a refund. Suprise - suprise no one of that name in that unit and my file indicates I am awaiting a call back. Told the chap today that I received a call back and what was said - nothing updated !

Talk about go round in circles

So I am now waiting for another call back and see what is happening today.

This money I repaid seems to be like pass the parcel or more like pass the buck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am think I will ask for an ex gratia payment or special payment to cover the upset and costs - but I doubt I will ever get such a payment

regards

sinkinghelp

Hello All

I have now had another call back confirming the information I was given yesterday was correct and that it takes about 3 days for information to be updated between systems. Until that happens this team leader has flagged my file ? and will keep an eye on it so that if any other dwp employee tries to access he gets to be aware.

I mentioned about the recorded delivery letters and phone calls to which he replied I need to write in and they will consider refunding my costs. I did mention a special payment or ex gratia payment for all the distress caused as it started early December until now. Ruined Christmas because of the worry no one was answering my letters

Anyway see how it goes now

regards

sinkinghelp

Hello All

Just wondered if anyone had any specific reference I can make in this letter I have to write requesting my phone - letters and distress caused by the incompetance of the DWP ?

Its always helps if you can reference something

regards

sinkinghelp

Still received no information or apology or refund

Last resort would be the small claims court - Perhaps naming Hoban & Smith alongside the DWP would ruffle a few feathers along the way...