Jump to content


BankFodder BankFodder

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2350 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts



Had a few letters from N Power concerning my bill,


was annoyed with n power so withheld payment for sometime,


had a letter stating that i was being charged £10.50 for a Third Party Telephony Charge, no one called.


Then i get a letter stating i was having a home visit to discuss payment and an additional charge of £23.50

so i decided to pay the original bill. Which went through the account


I paid in full but left the outstanding balance of the charges.


What right do they have to collect these charges?


Would they ever go to court or obtain a warrant to fit a PAYG on the basis of £30 outstanding?

My respect to people who post regularly and help people out on here. Without your help alot of wrongs would have been committed.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unpredictable but I don't think they would do this, the charges made for 'debt collection' by utility companies are questionable anyway imo.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

They cannot impose what are basically penalty charges. Either way dispute it in writing as soon as possible and ensure you have a paper trail otherwise it will come back to bite you in the rear if you want to change supplier. If they do not remove the charges and you change supplier and continue to dispute their charges, at least you have a paper trail to escalate it to the Ombudsman. Do not ignore it.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...