Santander - Robinson Way

Leonidis

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3112 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Greetings.

I used to have an old account with Santander which was closed and defaulted back in June 2008. It was done so because there ended up being a negative balance of just under £600. The reason for this negative balance was due to a few bank charges which led to more bank charges being added because the previous bank charges weren't paid. I was disputing this with them at the time I was also disputing another account which I ended up having a part refund for.

I was told over the phone that the account had been closed and cleared so I thought nothing more of it. Until I checked my credit report in 2011… I noticed that all this time I had a default against my name. I sent in a letter of complaint which they said they were not in the wrong and wouldn't do anything about it, after all the effort and anger I felt towards it I just left it at that because I didn't know what else to do but wait 6 years until it dropped off..

Today I receive a letter from a debt collection agency who is working with Santander to collect the amount due on the account. I called them (the debt collectors) to find out what was going on, I advised them that there's something wrong as there should be no payment owing. They popped the account on hold whilst I spoke with santander. I called them and they mentioned that according to their systems the only letter of complaint they can see was back in 2011 with regards to the default but not one previous, even though they see a refund on my currently used account back in 2008.

So according to them I still owe this money for these bank charges that were applied to my closed account from nearly 6 years ago. I'm not entirely sure what to do because it's pretty ridiculous. Defaulting my name due to rolling bank charges which I was told that it was cleared. I just wish I had a letter stating this but it was mentioned over the phone I remember as I was quite relieved and happy at the time, was a nice weight off.

So I'm not too sure what to do now, I still dispute this and I won't pay them a penny… I also know that if I do as I believe its not a full 6 years yet the default will reset.

Does anyone have any advice on this?

Many thanks for your time

Jason

Stop talking to them on the phone. It is up to THEM to prove a debt exists. Not for you to prove otherwise.

You said that santander originally confirmed the account was closed and cleared. DO you have proof of that?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

It was only what someone had said on the phone. It's definitely been closed but it hasn't been cleared.

The person I spoke with at santander had said that the account was closed defaulted but not cleared. If I had evidence in letter form then I could send it in and they would update accordingly but I wasn't sent a letter on any of what happened on the account anyway. Was all done by phone other than what I had sent to them.

Check your credit file and see who owns the debt. Then ONLY discuss it with them.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

It's santander that owns the debt.

They are the ones saying that they are not in the wrong and it's a bit of a pain really. Do I end up opening another complaint after this much time or am I better off waiting until the 6 years has passed then have it dealt with?

If santander owns the debt, then talk to them. Tell RW to bugger off.

Get a full complaint in writing to their CEO. That gives them 56 days to give you a final response, so you can take it to the ombudsman.

This won't ever reach court, accounts with unenforceable charges on will be laughed out.

Personally, I wouldn't respond to robbers way.

It might just open up a can of worms if letters are not worded correctly.

Deal with satansbank direct, and this should be in the form of a formal complaint using their complaints procedure.

Alternatively just how long has it been since you last paid toward this?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Never say never BB. Some DCA's and even creditors will try and push it through the courts. Remember, its not the judges remit to decide if the charges are lwful. They are there to make a judgement if the debt is owed or not.

I have yet to come across anyone being taken to court for unpaid bank charges, and the plaintiff winning.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

This won't ever reach court, accounts with unenforceable charges on will be laughed out.

Personally, I wouldn't respond to robbers way.

It might just open up a can of worms if letters are not worded correctly.

Deal with satansbank direct, and this should be in the form of a formal complaint using their complaints procedure.

Alternatively just how long has it been since you last paid toward this?

The only thing I had spoken about with robbers is that I wasn't aware of any of this and that I would be seeking advice on the matter. Wouldn't be writing them any letters. It seems they are just hired to get on my back about it, but from what I can gather they don't really have a leg to stand on. Just need to get this cleared up with Santander through the correct route and hopefully I won't need to go any further.

As I hadn't been advised until today that I owed anything on the account, any financial activity ceased when the account was closed in june 2008.

Wondering if there is any set things I need to make sure I add to the letter as I don't want to open any can of worms.

again many thanks for your time.

You could send robbersway this http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387363-You-know-nothing-of-the-Debt-Prove-It

Then ignore them.

If satansbank couldn't be bothered to chase money they alleged you owed then robbersway aren't going to have any joy whatsoever!