Considering renting from an agency for the first time? Read my story before you do

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3774 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

If you are considering renting from a letting agency for the first time then please read my story. Initially it was just going to be a simple post on a forum but the never ending chain of problems I experienced with both Austin & Wyatt and Countrywide resulted in such a mountain of material which I did not want to go to waste so I wrote an entire website.

I hope it will save you some trouble or at least prep you for what's ahead. Prevention is better, cheaper and less time consuming than cure especially when you are inexperienced in dealing with such matters.

[unauthorised link information removed for checking]

Edited by honeybee13

Agree with you.

Using an agent is just a waste of time for landlord and tenants.

I'm sure you can work out what kind of treatment to expect from the landlord by the way they present their asset: the property.

Dirty and perished=I don't care this is not fit for purpose, I just want your money

Clean and in good state (including safety certification)=I'm proud of my property and I need someone who will look after it and I will do the same.

Simples as they say nowadays

Equally from some Ts point of view -

1 Unkempt, tired property sloppy LL = we can prob make some money from complaining

2 Well presented property, caring LL = we can prob still make some money or at least cost the LL a packet by trashing it during T

LLs often do not get the Ts they deserve or expect via LAs, hence LA's should be vetted as close as any T, as per any other Contactor LL may employ. At least if you have a bad LA experience, you don't have to find another LA, unlike the need for Ts.

Hi,

I can see that the link was removed "for checking". Does it mean what it says or has it gone for good? :confused: Without the story to refer to there is little point in replying to the comments...

Thanks

Hello there.

I'm afraid the links are not something we want to carry. If you would like to tell us your story, then please post it here using moderate language.

Sorry for the delay in informing you.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hello, Thank you but self-censorship is not something I support, neither is sanitizing of the content so I'd rather have the link removed than the story honeyed to fit the policies of this place. [quote name='Conniff']Well, what does one say, although I haven't read all your story, I've read enough and looked at the gallery to know I would have walked right back out.[/QUOTE] With 15k posts on this forum you must be a seasoned warrior in the field of dealing with rogue businesses but many people are not. Forget about your experience and try to think, for example, the cash-strapped student way for a moment, a student who gets into hands of such "professionals" who have mastered their methods on many others before and are more than sure the poor being will not put up a fight. I've lived for a bit and consider myself a cautious person (keeping all the receipts, copies of documents, always reading t&c etc.) but still that have not prepared me enough for this particular experience and a long and tedious struggle (which I eventually won btw). Also as you did not read the entire story you missed the main point which wasn't the state of the flat. The problem was the agency's total lack of respect for their customers and the morally questionable practices they employed to milk as much money from the letting opportunity as possible. [quote name='king12345']I'm sure you can work out what kind of treatment to expect from the landlord by the way they present their asset: the property.[/QUOTE] This is especially true when you rent privately. However, it is the letting agencies that often look after the property (via third parties) on behalf of the landlords. In this particular case they made a promise that they would redecorate the flat, which they later admitted they had failed to do. No action followed, though. This was another morale of the story, you as a tenant have no practical way of enforcing anything the contract says the agency/landlord is obliged to do. The contract and all the applicable laws are worthless. [quote name='mariner51']Equally from some Ts point of view - 1 Unkempt, tired property sloppy LL = we can prob make some money from complaining - 2 Well presented property, caring LL = we can prob still make some money or at least cost the LL a packet by trashing it during T.[/QUOTE] Make money from complaining? Perhaps in a fantasy world! I'm sorry, but this really sounds ludicrous. I have seen so many *really* bad properties around that this should be a thriving business in the area. First of all you will never get to know your landlord. Second, the LA will never give you anything just because you've complained. Third, the point you start battling you start losing money straight away, to them it makes no difference. I won my case and I still paid all I was supposed to pay the day I signed the contract, plus I lost a considerable amount of time and energy. All the punishment they got was they didn't get anything extra this time. Surely they won't dare try again with the next tenant... You will likely part with some of your deposit at the end of the contract just to avoid wrestling with the agency. I'm not making this up, this comes from the feedback I received, people treat this as an extra fee (at least those who have been with agencies before). Should it be like this? No. Sadly it sounds like a norm.

I think I found your link - the one with the fly crawling all over it and that starts with the words "As I was trudging along trying to get answers"

I have experienced many of your issues when using agents: either renting myself or through family and friends, but not altogether with one agent!

It's interesting to see the comments about the dilapidation administration fee that they tried to charge. I would hope they would reject such charges in all circumstance. It is completely unreasonable that they think they are allowed to charge a fee, yet you are not allowed to.

As I suggested, stay away from letting agencies.

This is basically the main conclusion.

I think I found your link - the one with the fly crawling all over it and that starts with the words "As I was trudging along trying to get answers"

That's the one.

It's interesting to see the comments about the dilapidation administration fee that they tried to charge. I would hope they would reject such charges in all circumstance. It is completely unreasonable that they think they are allowed to charge a fee, yet you are not allowed to.

The problem is the deposit you give them to look after at the time you sign the contract. It's like placing a sausage in front of a dog and hoping that it will still be there when you come back.

So when they say, for example, if you are late for the checkout we will charge you £50 you could just as well reply the same. The problem is that they essentially already have your money and if you are indeed late they will simply take it, whereas if they are late you have no way to charge them.

I went to view a house today with a agent, great house, filled in all paper work, got talking about the LL I got now, told truth, had to get EH to fix house that is why we are leave and he wasn't happy about it, and he was forced to put bond in a scheme, agent said would he give you a good ref, said don't know, he isn't happy with us, as he been ordered to fix the house, agent said "in that case they might turn you down and you will be wasting your money" said, I can prove I have paid the rent every month on time, "that might help but if he says you have damaged the house, then they wont even take a second look at it, as they will take his word over yours"