Jump to content


  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • many thanks DX I will do follow this advice.    one comment on what I've read on here. IDR  / the banks seem to rely on the non exclusive jurisdiction clause. However surely that would mean once its been through court here, it would no longer be active in UAE. Of course that is not how they work ie they would go for both UK and UAE if you ever returned. Is there not a way of highlighting and fighting there use of this clause on that basis?
    • Did you apply for a refund before you took any reclaim action?  If Ryanair refunded you for your flight then you have chosen to "end your contract" with them and they have no further liability for your travel.  This is pivotal because as long as you have a paid up ticket (and booking reference) then they have full liability and responsibility for you.  The minute they refund you, they have discharged their duty and you are on your own.   I am still trying to understand the basis for your claim.  The law says that if you are delayed then you have the option to refund or re-route (but not both which seems to be the case here).  You can go with the original carrier or not despite what Ryanair would have you believe.  You should tell them what you intend to do so they cannot claim later that you did not give them the option.     If I were to apply the best case to your situation it would be that the flight was delayed, you somehow told Ryanair that you were re-routing and off you went with your alternative travel arrangements.  You then put in your claim and waited.  If you then asked for a refund after your travel claim went in then you (and they) could argue that Ryanair has already part-paid your claim but you have a better case.  If you asked for a refund before your claim went in then the emphasis sits more with you to say you made a procedural error and they have a stronger defence.
    • There is a 'pharmacy' based one within range, although I understand the vaccinations are done by the pharmacy team at a nearby (otherwise closed) community centre - not the pharmacy   Have no idea why. probably space.   They are vaccinating with O/AZ as most seem to be apparently due to pfiser shortages
    • Thanks BankFodder. I sent the letter signed for on Friday, but it's not been received/signed for yet. So presumably the 10 days is from when they receive it?   Just to be clear, you're saying I should still start s75 now anyway (and not wait 10 days), correct?    
    • The owner of Dove and Vaseline will remove the word from about 200 products in a push for inclusivity. View the full article
  • Our picks

    • Ebay Packlink and Hermes - destroyed item as it was "damaged". https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/430396-ebay-packlink-and-hermes-destroyed-item-as-it-was-damaged/&do=findComment&comment=5087347
      • 27 replies
    • I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
        • Like
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.
       
      I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.
       
      In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 
       
      In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.
       
      In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.
       
      To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.
       
      So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.
       
      Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!
       
       
        • Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
  • Recommended Topics

Flash deal via Carphone Warehouse - card used for verification only - but have taken money!


Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2636 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

Both my wife and I took an online flash deal (limited time) on 2 smart phone upgrades on O2

but through The Carphone Warehouse, for £17/month each with no upfront cost.

 

When phones arrived on Friday, they charged us each £99 upfront (taken from our accounts).

 

When asked, they said we were "not awarded" the deal even though we entered into the agreement within their timescale.

 

They were happy though to "award" us a higher cost deal and take money that we have not agreed to.

 

At no point did they made it clear to us that they were changing the agreement.

Nor did they make it clear in the advertising that we somehow have to compete for the offer and may be charged a higher amount.

 

When our bank details were asked, it was clearly stated that this was for verification purposes only

and that no money would be taken from our accounts.

 

We are each out of pocket and could not accept the phones on those terms.

 

The very helpful assistant in the shop where we were supposed to pick up the phones (they were actually there)

tried to sort this with retail and customer service as she could clearly see that a mistake has been made.

 

Even she was astounded at what she was quite bluntly told on the phone.

 

No idea how long we will have to wait for the money to be refunded.

 

I want to emphasise: At no point did we give permission for the deal to be changed or money to be taken from our accounts other than the £17/month agreed.

 

My advice is stay as far away from this terrible company as you can.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Go to CW, cancel the agreement as they lied and you dont want it, and demand a full refund there and then.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

 

 

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Link to post
Share on other sites

or do a chargeback to your bank

 

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have contacted the bank and told CPW that I did not want the deal, but in both cases it will take some time to get the refund. With CPW they were not able to say exactly how long - if it was up to them probably never. Have to wonder how many people they catch out with this trick just because the client did not check their account! I also reported it to Trading Standards and Advertising Standards, but I don't think this company even cares if they get bad publicity.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tell the bank and CPW to do it NOW. Cash from CPW or chargeback from your bank / credit card.

 

Did you get the manager involved?

 

It's not just that you don't want it, they have provided something that you didn't agree to and taken money that was not authorised

 

I would act very quickly on this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Have we helped you ...?


×
×
  • Create New...