• Tweets

• Moved to the Private Parking forum.
    • Good afternoon, I am writing because I am very frustrated. I received a parking fine from MET Parking Services Ltd , ( Southgate park Stansted CM24 1PY) . We stopped for a quick meal in Mcdonalds and were there fir around 30 mins. We always do this after flights and never received a parking fine before.  Reason: The vehicle left in Southgate car park without payment made for parking and the occupants southgate premises. they took some pictures of us leaving the car. i did not try and appeal it yet as I came across many forums that this is a scam and I should leave it. But I keep getting threatening letters.  Incident happened : 23/10/2023 I did contact Mcdonalds and they said this:  Joylyn (McDonald’s Customer Services) 5 Apr 2024, 12:05 BST Dear Laura, Thank you for contacting McDonald’s Customer Services. I’m sorry to hear that you have received a Parking Charge Notice following your visit to our Stansted restaurant.   We've introduced parking restrictions at some of our restaurants to make sure there are always parking spaces available for customers.   We appreciate that some visits such as birthday parties or large group visits might take longer and the parking restrictions aren't intended to stop this. If you think your stay will exceed the stated maximum parking time then please speak to a manager in advance.   Your number plate is scanned by our Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) system when you enter our car park, and then again when you leave. If you have overstayed the maximum time allowed, you will not be notified straight away- a Parking Charge Notice will be sent to you via the post.   If you feel that a Parking Charge Notice has been issued in error, please contact our approved contractors who issued the charge in order to appeal the charge. Unfortunately McDonald's are unable to revoke parking tickets- the outcome of the appeal is final and cannot be overturned by McDonald’s.   Many thanks for taking the time to contact McDonald’s Customer Services.   Can someone please help me out and suggest what I should do next?  Thank you 
    • Good Evening, I've got a fairly simple question but I'll provide some context incase needed. I've pursued a company that has operations in england despite them having no official office anywhere. I've managed to find a site they operate from and the papers there have been defended so I know they operate there. They've filed a defence which is honestly the worst defence ever, and despite being required to provide their witness evidence, they have not and have completely ignored the courts and my request for copies of it. I'm therefore considering applying to strike out their defence on the grounds the defence was rubbish and that they haven't provided any evidence for the trial. However, it has a trial date set for end of june, and a civil application wouldn't get heard until a week before then, so hardly worth it. However, my local court is very good at dealing with paper applications (i.e ones that don't need hearings, and frankly I think they are literally like 1-2 days from when you submit it to when a Judge sees it. I'm wondering if I can apply to strikeout a defence without a hearing OR whether a hearing is required for a strikeout application.   Thanks
    • I have just opened another bank acc with lloyds (i have a few already) After doing some research they may have some relation to tsb or be apart of the same group will this cause me issue if my salary is paid into my lloyds account? Also, if the debts do go into default and nothing is paid then after 6 years it all goes away? As the DCAs cannot do anything? I do want to start paying in like 3/4 months or do you advise I leave it if it goes into default? again sorry for all the questions, i am just processing everything
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Suspended, Disciplinary Hearing help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3782 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It's my first message here, been reading a few posts and decided to ask for help.

A few weeks ago I was suspended from work, pending investigation. I was shocked as I had no idea I had done anything wrong, then I read the letter which said I maliciously didn't tell work I was going away the day before.

Right, it goes like this: I booked my holiday months in advance following the company's procedure, then my line manager left and we had a meeting with the new manager, I then reminded them of my upcoming holidays (2 were booked at the same time), they asked me to forward the dates to them after the meeting which I did straight away.

The day before I was due to go on holiday, I was extremely busy at work trying to finish everything, so I didn't remember to remind anyone that I was going away. I was sure everything knew anyway as it was booked months in advance and we've spoken about it several times openly in the office.

Basically they've done an investigation and they think I decided not to tell them about my holiday. I was in the investigatory meeting for a couple of hours and somehow they decided to include only a few lines in the final report of the meeting.

I'm due to go to a disciplinary meeting in a couple of days and the letter says that's it will be treated as gross misconduct so I could be summary dismissed following the meeting.

I'm finding everything too exaggerated, I've booked my holidays appropriately (which they agree), but now I might lose my job as I didn't get the chance to remind them I was going away? Could you please advise, thanks.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just trying to understand.

1. You followed procedure when booking your holidays.

2. The company agrees that you booked your holidays in accordance with policy and they were approved.

3. Your colleagues (including manager)were all aware that you were going away.

Does it say anywhere in company policy or procedure that you have to remind them?

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes but apparently they are now saying that they forgot that I was going away and that office chit chat is not valid. They basically denied in the investigation report that they ever knew about my holiday.

No, it doesn't say anywhere that I need to remind them before I go on holiday.

Edited by SadBear

Forgot to say, they are saying that I caused stress on a colleague (we both do the same job) and she had no idea I was going away (even though we have chatted about it several times, which she denies). She had to cover me when I was away, but I also had to cover her a couple of months ago when she was away, and she also covered me on my previous holiday. That's the way it works, we cover each other on annual leave and sick leave.

They are saying I didn't do a handover before going away, so I caused them financial loss, etc. But I am requested to do a daily handover, which I did before going away (as I do every day, and it was the same procedure used before my previous holiday a couple of months ago).

I know I should have told them, after I left work someone asked me if they know I'm going away, which I replied "yes as it's been booked several months ago and we've talked about it openly in the office". Now they are saying that I had the chance to go back to work and inform them, but I honesty thought they knew.

Edited by SadBear

There will probably be many more experienced people along soon however I think that as long as you have followed procedure then any investigation will find no case to answer.

Does the policy say you have to tell your colleague that you are going on holiday? If not then it would be down to whoever should have informed them of the extra workload.

Can you get a copy of the handover that you left or any others if you have to do them every day?

I'm sorry but this is utterly ridiculous.

You've clearly evidenced the reasons you didn't exercise this good practice. It's a management issue in my view.

What type of business does your employer undertake? Have you had any other disciplinary's?

How long have you worked there?

George Loveless - “We raise the watchword, liberty. We will, we will, we will be free!"

My advice is only my opinion, I am not a legal expert.

IF YOU LIKE THE ADVICE I'M GIVING AND ARE HAPPY WITH IT, CLICK THE SCALES ON THE BOTTOM LEFT OF THIS POST AND TELL ME.

There will probably be many more experienced people along soon however I think that as long as you have followed procedure then any investigation will find no case to answer.

Does the policy say you have to tell your colleague that you are going on holiday? If not then it would be down to whoever should have informed them of the extra workload.

Can you get a copy of the handover that you left or any others if you have to do them every day?

I was allowed supervised access to my emails before the investigatory meeting, I then printed a copy of my holiday request and subsequent forwarding to the new manager. I have also printed the handover I did on the day before (daily practice), however the final investigation report doesn't mention that I did a handover or anything. Actually it says that I left work unfinished and didn't do a handover, which I have clearly done and presented evidence at the investigatory meeting. It's all so frustrating and upsetting!

I'm sorry but this is utterly ridiculous.

You've clearly evidenced the reasons you didn't exercise this good practice. It's a management issue in my view.

What type of business does your employer undertake? Have you had any other disciplinary's?

How long have you worked there?

It's an office job in education. I've been working for them for over 6 years, they've always mentioned I'm hard working etc, so I've got a very good record.

I had a disciplinary issue 5 years ago when they tried to make me redundant and I wrote a grievance letter as they were employing lots of new people at the same time. Apart from this disciplinary (totally ridiculous by the way), I've got a clean record.

Lately however I haven't been doing as many unpaid overtime as I used to. Nobody said that's the reason for the disciplinary, but I have a feeling they are trying to get rid of me because of that. I'm still performing my job very well during my working hours, but we are short staffed, so they expect me to do unpaid overtime so they don't have to hire more people.

I'm sure this is quite a stressful time for you.

It's important that you challenge the inaccuracy of the report and that you do this in writing in order to evidence that you've done so and why, even if you do this verbally and then follow up in writing.

When is your hearing? Have you seen all of the documents they intend to rely on ie witness statements of your colleagues?

George Loveless - “We raise the watchword, liberty. We will, we will, we will be free!"

IF YOU LIKE THE ADVICE I'M GIVING AND ARE HAPPY WITH IT, CLICK THE SCALES ON THE BOTTOM LEFT OF THIS POST AND TELL ME.

Thank you for your advice, it is a very long report, full of inaccuracies, so I will challenge it in writing. Should it be done before the hearing? The hearing is on Friday, it was meant to be today, but I was only sent the statements last night (after I requested).

Also, I haven't been allowed to speak to anyone until yesterday so haven't been able to invite anyone to come to the hearing with me.

I have asked to call in witnesses at the hearing, but I was told they can't see the connection between the witness with the allegations.

I have also requested access to my emails since new evidence has appeared, but it was denied. I was told I had one chance to print any documents and that's it (but the chance was before the investigatory meeting, I had no idea what would be sent to me following the meeting.

Ok by working over 6 years you have employment rights, this means you are protected from being unfairly dismissed. It's important you aren't complacent and you've done the right thing seeking advice.

Are you a member of a trade union?

The issue you mention doesn't appear to be a disciplinary? It appears you talk about a grievance over a redundancy issue and not something you were penalised for?

In any event you have nothing currently on your file, I am concerned based on the information you've given me about the alleged gross misconduct.

I deal with these cases every day and this appears to be one of the most silly!

You will have to prepare yourself to submit a statement to the hearing in a couple of days time, are you taking a colleague or a union rep in with you?

Thank you for your advice, it is a very long report, full of inaccuracies, so I will challenge it in writing. Should it be done before the hearing? The hearing is on Friday, it was meant to be today, but I was only sent the statements last night (after I requested). Also, I haven't been allowed to speak to anyone until yesterday so haven't been able to invite anyone to come to the hearing with me. I have asked to call in witnesses at the hearing, but I was told they can't see the connection between the witness with the allegations.

I think you should call for an adjournment based on the lack of clarity over the process, you have to have adequate time to prepare your case and by sending you the documents last night isn't adequate given the fact this is gross misconduct, what does the disciplinary policy say? Some are quite indepth and talk about the time you should have before a hearing and yes witnesses can be called.

Check out the ACAS website for more information on disciplinary's.

I would raise your objections to the inaccuracies in the report in writing before the hearing noting you've only just received them to be able to comment on the content and because of not being able to prepare your case you need an adjournment.

I haven't been trying to find out what I'm entitled to as I can't believe it's all happening. Out of the blue, I was called for a meeting just before I was about to leave work and told that I was suspended until further notice.

I'm not a member of an union, unfortunately. I tried today to get hold of a colleague (I asked them and I was told I could get in touch with one person to invite for the meeting), but they haven't got back to me, so I might have to ask someone else. I suppose everyone is scared as the whole situation is absurd. When I went to the office for the investigatory meeting, my colleagues were surprised to see me and kept asking where I was etc.

Regarding the past event, first they called me for a redundancy meeting, then I noticed that they were employing new people and wrote a grievance letter. Following that, they found a silly reason for a disciplinary meeting.

I'm not sure that you need witnessess. You have the evidence that supports your case - you followed procedure.

Have they shown you in the policy where you have failed to follow procedure? This is what you are alledgedly in breach of.

Take copies of all your evidence for future reference just in case.

I think you should call for an adjournment based on the lack of clarity over the process, you have to have adequate time to prepare your case and by sending you the documents last night isn't adequate given the fact this is gross misconduct, what does the disciplinary policy say? Some are quite indepth and talk about the time you should have before a hearing and yes witnesses can be called.

Check out the ACAS website for more information on disciplinary's.

I would raise your objections to the inaccuracies in the report in writing before the hearing noting you've only just received them to be able to comment on the content and because of not being able to prepare your case you need an adjournment.

The disciplinary policy is very vague, says that I have the right to be accompanied at the meeting and it can be postponed up to 5 days if my companion cannot make the original date.

I have checked the ACAS website several times, but cannot find any guidance on time limits. I don't want them thinking that I don't want to sort it out and I'm just delaying it, but I want to make sure I have enough time to do everything properly.

Agree - The policy they allege you are in breach of is important.

You need to protect your position and research the way in which disciplinary's are dealt with, ACAS have some excellent information on their website.

It seems based on past experience your employer is a but trigger happy on disciplinaries.

I'm not sure that you need witnessess. You have the evidence that supports your case - you followed procedure.

Have they shown you in the policy where you have failed to follow procedure? This is what you are alledgedly in breach of.

Take copies of all your evidence for future reference just in case.

The investigator found that I followed the company's procedure when booking my holiday, but it says that I made no further attempt to inform the company that I was going away, and that my explanation that they were aware of my holiday as it was booked well in advance and we have all chatted about it in the office is not strong enough.

Basically they are saying that I tried to damage the company's reputation by maliciously not informing them of my annual leave. That's what they are considering to be gross misconduct.

Yes - not only keep copies of all the evidence that you have, but also make a point of stating during the hearing - and have it detailed in the notes - that you requested access to emails which would prove your innocence but that this request was refused.

You should have sufficient with what you do have, however in the unlikely event that you were to be dismissed and take the case to a Tribunal it will be that much harder for the employer to deny the existence of incriminating emails when you ask for disclosure if you have referenced this in the hearing notes.

I really can't see how they think this warrants a disciplinary providing that procedure was followed in booking the holiday.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

I think you're right to want to take time. I think they'll understand, this your job we are talking about here, it's important you have all the information to put your case, you have the right to appeal any final decision of a hearing but they should allow you time to put your case.

The management side will have had that report ages (I'd hope) or at least longer than you so it's only fair you are able to prepare your defence. Especially as you say it's a detailed lengthy report.

It does seem here the employer is overreacting, I don't understand why you've been suspended and I still don't see how this is gross misconduct based on what you've said - but that's why I don't sit on their side of the table I guess.

Yes - not only keep copies of all the evidence that you have, but also make a point of stating during the hearing - and have it detailed in the notes - that you requested access to emails which would prove your innocence but that this request was refused.

You should have sufficient with what you do have, however in the unlikely event that you were to be dismissed and take the case to a Tribunal it will be that much harder for the employer to deny the existence of incriminating emails when you ask for disclosure if you have referenced this in the hearing notes.

I really can't see how they think this warrants a disciplinary providing that procedure was followed in booking the holiday.

I am 99% sure that I will be dismissed following the disciplinary hearing. There is this whole witness statements from colleagues saying how different it would all have been if I reminded them that I was going away. But the truth is, nothing would be different, we never get outside staff to cover absences, we just deal with everything when someone goes away and we complete daily reports anyway, so there is always a handover at the end of the day.

I think you're right to want to take time. I think they'll understand, this your job we are talking about here, it's important you have all the information to put your case, you have the right to appeal any final decision of a hearing but they should allow you time to put your case.

The management side will have had that report ages (I'd hope) or at least longer than you so it's only fair you are able to prepare your defence. Especially as you say it's a detailed lengthy report.

It does seem here the employer is overreacting, I don't understand why you've been suspended and I still don't see how this is gross misconduct based on what you've said - but that's why I don't sit on their side of the table I guess.

They are saying it's gross misconduct (which I don't agree) as it was an act of dishonesty the fact that I didn't remind them that I was going away. Based on that, I could get dismissed.

I agree that I should ask for more time, it took them 2 weeks to send me the witness statements following the investigation. They sent me a disciplinary hearing a few days ago, but didn't attach the statements to it. It was only sent last night after I asked for it.

That witness statement is only important if it says in the policy that it was your responsibility to inform them.

If it was not( must be in policy/procedures) then they need to look for the person whose job it was.

Which policy do they say you have breached?

My manager said in the statement that they had no idea I was going away, that they forgot I booked my holiday as it was gone a long time ago.

It doesn't say I breached any policy. It says that I maliciously didn't remind them of my holiday, and for not doing that, I have damaged the company's reputation. That's why I'm being accused of gross misconduct.

They are all involved in the investigation and hearing. It's all ridiculous. A very good friend is the investigator, another very good friend will be the chair of the hearing.

The investigation report added lots of info that were not discussed in the investigatory meeting, saying that they presented those to me (they haven't, of course) and my response to most questions somehow didn't make to the report. So it seems that the 2h that I was in the meeting was for only a few lines in the report. It's all a joke (not a funny one, a very stressful one!!!)