Forced to disclose personal details and docs to credit agency by employer

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3086 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

my second job as a car insurance call centre operator has recently left me outraged,

I provided my birth certificate to the agency when i began with them and again 6 months later when I was taken on as permanant staff.

every year they run credit checks (titles background checks) via experian, and

I have been forced under threat of a disciplinary to provide my birth certificate and various other pieces of information

such as contact numbers and mothers maiden name (which i did not provide) to experian,

who in there agreements state that my info will be held for two years and they can store process acess etc whenever they like

and may even hold it outside the uk,

i have been advised that they will hold it on file should i ever need another check,

im fairly certain that under the data protection act information should only be gathered, held and utilised for the purpose of which it is intended

in this case to do the background check and then be deleted surely??

I feel this is a massive invasion of my privacy and I appreciate this sounds overly dramatic but it feels like a violation..

.especially given that my data is likely to be sold on for a profit!

im thinking of launchingh a complaint even though this will clearly be to my detriment

Hi bluestar,

Have you any credit accounts, telecoms accounts etc., on credit files prior to this demand? Have you ever checked your files at all?

This behaviour seems Draconian to me.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Unfortunately standard practice for just about anything finance or insurance related - although the need to keep supplying certain documents sounds over the top!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Hi

I have heard this many times. It seems that anyone working within a finance industry has to disclose any financially adverse info. Some companies will actively check to ensure what they are being told is correct.

I believe this a an anti fraud measure.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

thanks guys, I dont object to the checks, what I object to is the abuse of the data protection act and having to provide my details to a thirdparty who will then keep them for far longer than needed and do what ever they want witht her data!!