5 benefit changes the government don't want you to know about

Michael Browne
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3778 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The sheer volume of inefficient and unethical changes to social security this Government has enacted means some of it doesn’t even get noticed.

So, here’s five benefit changes the government doesn’t want you to know about.

1. Disabled people denied a key benefit have had their right to appeal reduced

2. Long-term sick people are having their benefits sanctioned ... for being sick

3. 50,000 disabled people are being cut out of work

4. There’s now a one-year limit on hundreds of thousands of people’s sickness benefit

5. Eviction letters are now including veiled threats to remove people’s children

http://www.newstatesman.com/2013/11/5-benefit-changes-government-dont-want-you-know-about

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
1. Disabled people denied a key benefit have had their right to appeal reduced

The article suggests that this affects only people claiming ESA, but I've just had my DLA application refused for the umpteenth time and also have to request 'Mandatory Reconsideration' before they would consider an appeal !

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

The article suggests that this affects only people claiming ESA, but I've just had my DLA application refused for the umpteenth time and also have to request 'Mandatory Reconsideration' before they would consider an appeal !

Except for children under 16 ('DLA for children', as opposed to the old 'DLA' for adults), it's been scrapped now, so there shouldn't be any new applications for it in the first place! The article does mention DLA, but refers to it as "scrapped" - a slight exaggeration, it is just being phased out for under-65s - but that would explain why they don't mention the application process for it.

Universal Credit seems like a nice concept in theory, but the government just isn't capable of buying working computer systems - look at the billions wasted on the failed NHS project a few years ago.

I think DLA has always been mandatory consideration before appeal. I made a claim in October 2007 which was refused and was told by CAB to appeal. They helped me with the appeal. Got a letter one day stating decision overturned and I am entitled to DLA.

Just to clarify. Maybe I should have given my life story to start with and avoid any confusion. :smile:

I already have low rate care component of DLA. I had submitted a change of circumstances with regard to the mobility component, which I don't get for reasons only known to the DWP. It was this that they have turned down, again, and I find that from October of this year I have to request the Mandatory Reconsideration instead of submitting an appeal.

As I am already a DLA client I cannot apply for PIP. This situation applies to anyone already in receipt of any level of DLA, until such time as their area is selected to apply for PIP instead. In my case that's 2 years away, so I have to re-apply for DLA. It is virtually the same form apart from extra questions about when the change of circumstances took place and why you've not told them previously if it's been more than a few weeks.

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

Due to the nature of my disability, I have a lifetime DLA award however in 2 years time apparently I need to switch to PIP and it is my understanding that I have re-apply every 2 years for the awards even though there is no cure for my disability?

Due to the nature of my disability, I have a lifetime DLA award however in 2 years time apparently I need to switch to PIP and it is my understanding that I have re-apply every 2 years for the awards even though there is no cure for my disability?

Where does reapplying for PIP every 2 years come? Not heard of that. I know that we can't have indefinite awards though.

Where does reapplying for PIP every 2 years come? Not heard of that. I know that we can't have indefinite awards though.

It's not a case of re-apply but that PIP claimants will come up for re-assessment now and again to check that their needs are being met (so the blurb says).

It isn't a fixed period of time, each PIP award will have a reassessment date in the letter. There will still be some who get 'indefinite' awards, although they say these will also be reviewed, which does not make much sense.

It's not a case of re-apply but that PIP claimants will come up for re-assessment now and again to check that their needs are being met (so the blurb says).

It isn't a fixed period of time, each PIP award will have a reassessment date in the letter. There will still be some who get 'indefinite' awards, although they say these will also be reviewed, which does not make much sense.

It would be a very big scientific breakthrough and marvellous if a cure was found for my disability and allowed me to live a normal life!

It would be a very big scientific breakthrough and marvellous if a cure was found for my disability and allowed me to live a normal life!

Oh I agree, mine will not just 'go away' of get better either, but - what they are trying to tell us now is that it's not the disability they are assessing, but how we lead our daily lives and out ability to cope with our issues. If we can manage to drag ourselves more than 4 inches and then lift up a helium filled balloon we are able to perform a function that may indicate that we are fit for work :O

As such they need to keep checking up on us to see if we have learned to live with our problems and are able to crawl 5 inches instead of the 4 we were originally assessed as being restricted to. In other words, they don't give a monkeys about our disabilities but more if we can perform functions that now exclude us from qualifying for support.

For example: Under DLA the basic care rate was granted if you were unable to prepare and cook a 'main meal' which was taken to be meat, potato, veg etc. prepared on a cooker, not just a microwave meal, sandwich and so on. Under PIP it's changed to 'simple meal' and under the Preparing Food activity if someone “Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to either prepare or cook a simple meal” they are awarded two points, but if they “Need supervision or assistance to either prepare or cook a simple meal” the award is four points. You now need to score at least 8 points to get the 'standard' level of PIP, the cooking test alone is not enough, it was for DLA...

You're expected to use a microwave with PIP. Disgusting. Why should I have to use a microwave? I am wheat intolerant and most ready meals contain wheat. And they also contain additives and other nasty stuff I'd rather not have in my body.

You've assumed they mean ready-made meals, rather than re-heating something that was prepared for you by someone else.

All these ways they now have of failing people... Even if you got a doctor's statement to dismiss the use of ready meals, that is not the test. Being able to use a microwave, regardless of what you are warming up, could see you fail to gain points under the new system.

You're expected to use a microwave with PIP. Disgusting. Why should I have to use a microwave? I am wheat intolerant and most ready meals contain wheat. And they also contain additives and other nasty stuff I'd rather not have in my body.

That is so wrong, I have high blood pressure as one of my conditions, and ready made meals are packed with salt.

Just because we can use a microwave does not mean we want to or should have to.

Not for me to argue what 'they' have decided. I'm just letting you guys know what I had already found out.

I'm in the same boat. I have a Chronic illness that's got worse over the years. I currently get only DLA low rate care, but will probably get nothing under PIP it seems as I will not get enough points for the 'standard' award :-(

If you feel it's wrong then get on to your MP and gain their support, before you need to apply for PIP. If your GP can offer any support to help your case then talk to them now, while there is time to get them to do a letter or whatever.

The PIP criteria fits me better.

But they will not let you apply for it if you are currently receiving DLA, I know, I tried. Could be 2017 before you get 'invited' to apply :-(

If you have a change in circumstance that affects how much you're entitled to, you can apply for PIP now.

I tried to apply for PIP, they refused to take my application. I've had my MP's office chase it back through DWP, if you are currently receiving DLA then you cannot apply for PIP, you can only submit a change of circumstances.