question on debt collection guidelines

rh999
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3790 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi

i have a quick question on guidelines for DCAs. i have searched around but cannot find the answer.

I have received a letter from Mackenzie Hall for an alleged debt. the debt issue is fine, and i can handle. my problem is when the send a letter they send the letter in a brown envelope with urgent in capital letters on the front of the envelope.

this seems to me, to be breaching debt collection guidelines?

can anyone comment on this?

thanks

Why ? Urgent does not constitute any breach of guidance what so ever.

Something like ' Urgent Outstanding Debt' most certainly would be a breach.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

I have to agree.

I get lots of letters saying 'Urgent' but generally they are advertising. If the Envelope had a return address of McKenzie Hall Debt Collection on it, that would be in breach (IMO)

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

I have to agree.

I get lots of letters saying 'Urgent' but generally they are advertising. If the Envelope had a return address of McKenzie Hall Debt Collection on it, that would be in breach (IMO)

i have had 2 letters recently one from bcw and our freinds motormile finance both clearly displaying their company names logos and addresses on the front. Anybody could see who they are clearly a breach of guidelines.

I don't think so personally there is no detail of an actual debt showing, simply showing a company name and logo does not breach any part of the guidance.

e.g., A return address or origination address such a Motor Mile Finance Ltd., of MMF Ltd., cannot be construed as a breach.

As Silverfox has said phrases such as Debt Collections/collectors/ agency could possibly be a minor breach, but there is nothing in the OFT Guidance on Debt Collection 2003/2006 or the update in Nov. 2012 to indicate that it might be unfair.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

I don't think so personally there is no detail of an actual debt showing, simply showing a company name and logo does not breach any part of the guidance.

e.g., A return address or origination address such a Motor Mile Finance Ltd., of MMF Ltd., cannot be construed as a breach.

As Silverfox has said phrases such as Debt Collections/collectors/ agency could possibly be a minor breach, but there is nothing in the OFT Guidance on Debt Collection 2003/2006 or the update in Nov. 2012 to indicate that it might be unfair.

would it not be the same as them calling someones employer speaking to other people and giving them their full details where it would cause a lot of shame

No, any data on an envelope such a an address is not a case of disclosing information to a specific third party on a debt.

May I ask why you are pursuing this?

No, any data on an envelope such a an address is not a case of disclosing information to a specific third party on a debt.

May I ask why you are pursuing this?

i just want to see all low life dca's shut down. I'm dealing with several debts for my girlfriend and myself and so far holding them off.

thanks all for the reply.

as i said I am handling the issue, but just wanted to see if i can pin them on this. one thing i would say though - i have never had any marketing letters in brown envelopes with URGENT in bold and underlined on it. i just think they are pushing the boundaries if i am honest.

They always push the boundaries, the use of envelopes marked in certain ways, isn't one of them IMO.

There are bigger fish to fry, well bigger breaches of OFT DCG, like telephone harassment for one!

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!