Notice Period - Need advice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3643 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am currently in employment however i have made a decision to leave my current job to pursue my own business venture.

I am working for my current employer from July of this year (5 months) and need to give one months notice.

I'm quite eager to hand my notice in asap, however i was wondering if someone in the know could advise me as with the xmas holidays looming, i want to ensure i have got all my facts right.

If i submitted my Notice on Monday (2nd Dec), is my notice period up on the 31st Dec?

I am taking next week (2nd Dec - 6th Dec inclusive) as annual leave and then have a further 6 days leave remaining.

What is my entitlement in terms of pay.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

a month is a month - so 2nd Dec is up until 1st Jan. Which you may get as a bank holiday or not depending where you work.

is your holiday year 1st Jan to 1st Jan?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

which will come off your holiday allowance I would guess. as will xmas and boxing day?

how many days you would get paid depends on how many holidays you get - 11/12ths of them are due. BUT your employer may tell you to take your holidays off before leaving. And with BHs you may owe them days?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

sure, but it depends how holidays are worded in your contract and how many days you get in total.

• 4 months later...

I am currently in employment abd have been in the job for 10 months.

For some time I have considered leaving my job to start my own business but until now haven't really had enough to go on to jump ship as such.

Here is my dilemma.

I have recently fractured my ankle and require surgery, which would leave me unable to work for 6 weeks.

If I hand in my notice (which I believe is 4 weeks) now, what is my position should I need to get the surgery before the 4 weeks ends?

You would have to be signed off sick in the usual way :) you should still receive SSP/company sick pay as appropriate. If that's the only thing holding you back, I wouldn't worry.

Thanks for the reply Becky.

So if I completed 2 weeks notice for example and was then off for 6 weeks with post op immobility, would I be required to complete a further two weeks notice on my return to work, or would the remaining 2 weeks be fulfilled as i'm on statutory sick pay/leave?

You wouldn't have to go back and work an additional two weeks in that scenario - you would effectively be working your notice, but whilst on sick leave, so providing you give 4 weeks notice, it doesn't matter too much if it's in the office or on sick leave :)

You wouldn't have to go back and work an additional two weeks in that scenario - you would effectively be working your notice, but whilst on sick leave, so providing you give 4 weeks notice, it doesn't matter too much if it's in the office or on sick leave :)

Thanks for your help guys.