• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Barclays

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6386 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, might as well use this to greet you all as well - im getting my claims against halifax ready thanks to this awesome site ! Will keep you all updated !

I worked in a barclays call centre until recently and have a bit of info on their refund procedures as they were when i was employed. I refunded customers charges on many occasions over the telephone.. i could only do it once as a "courtesy" if they had no charges in 12 months.. anymore required me to write an essay to the support team.

Heres the kicker... in 2004 we had an anti-refund meeting , and we were told by a team leader that ANY refunds given by us would come out of OUR bonus pots. So if you call a barclays telephone banking rep about charges- please consider the strain they will be under, the management play the poor front line advisors off against the customers. At that time Barclays simply offset the loss of charges by penalising its employees.

I hope the policy has changed.. it might have now since they have offshored some capacity to India.. no bonus pots there for sure.

Anyway, its the Halifax in my sights..

see ya !

• Confused 1

Charges Reclaimed

Halifax - £192.00

Cases in progress

Lloyds TSB £400

Liverpool University £50.00

Bonus Pots !!!!!! How many people get bonus pots - it's taking money from those who don't have it - don't be sucked in by that.

Bonus should be for hard work - not for taking money from the vulnerable to line the pockets of the rich !

J

Joan,

Sorry but not a very fair reply. At the end of the day you've been told the pressure that some bank staff are placed under from above and have choosen instead to have a go at the front line staff. I'd say this is indicative of the pressure the banks put their own staff under rather than anything else.

Hugh

I'm not trying to be funny, but get on to your former colleagues and tell them to speak to their union rep, and quickly. The bank is keeping its unlawful charge money and instead paying out from YOUR bonus. They are asking the staff to choose between your pay and obeying the law. Remember that since the banks insist on lying about the nature of their charges, this is fraud, and the staff will be seen as complicit. Seriously: get them onto the union before some disgruntled customer gets onto them.

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

Humm, I reckon this is exactly the kind of thing the FSA would be interested in as part of their 'Treating customers fairly' initiative as, quite clearly, Barclays policy in this area is unlikely to result in customers being treated as they should....

Personally, I would send an annonomyous letter to the FSA outlining the policy...

All advice is offered in good faith based on my own research and understanding of the laws involved, however I'm not a lawyer!

Please dont rely on annoymous advice posted on a public forum without checking it out for yourself first!

Would it be illegal to write en masse to bank shareholders pointing out where their dividends are coming from?

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

I wasn't going to respond on this one as it was about Barclays per se but as we are generalising on all banks now I will. I have NEVER been told to refuse a refund or not to refund a charge because it may affect my bonus. It is true that guidelines in relation to it have been tightened because refunds were being given out as though they were sweats. It would be ridiculous to suggest it to staff without someone going to the press and it appearing in the Daily Mail for all to see. Obviously, Barclays call centre staff may not read the Daily Mail!

Bookworm, because what a call centre gives out as compensation, so technically still a refund, would then be expected under the same circumstances from the branch. For example, a change of address that was not actioned correctly, for us at branch it was complaint on system and making sure it was done, for telephony it was £30 compensation and post the form back. So if anything further happens customer in branch asking for compensation because the auto trigger on their chequebook has not produced a cheque book. It was ridiculous and that was why I made the comment

Guest Battleaxe

This reminds me of when I was temping at a certain BT Call Centre. I was part of the Reject Team. Our job was to check the mis-selling of mobile phones and then have to get the customer to sign to a properly sold package. I didn't minsd the paper work, but I hated having to ring the customer and literally badger them into signing again. I hated it and they knew it, so I was moved over to the main inquiry team. I used to go out of my to help the callers. Even to the extent of sending a man the data he requested. I got hauled over the coals for that one. The other ploy was a TV monitor, telling us how many calls were in the queue and how long it took to handle a complaint, the motto get them off the line like a shot. The the names would go up of the members of the sales team and how much product in bonuses they sold for that hour. Needless to say I was out of there like a shot. I didn't last more than four months. I used to long for the fire alarms to go off, just to get away from the phones and the snooping on the staff.

So having been on the other side of BT, I do know the tricks of the trade.

Bookworm, because what a call centre gives out as compensation, so technically still a refund, would then be expected under the same circumstances from the branch. For example, a change of address that was not actioned correctly, for us at branch it was complaint on system and making sure it was done, for telephony it was £30 compensation and post the form back. So if anything further happens customer in branch asking for compensation because the auto trigger on their chequebook has not produced a cheque book. It was ridiculous and that was why I made the comment

Gotcha, I think.

So what you're saying is that compensation refunds are lumped in the same boat as penalty charges? So when the guidelines for legitimate refunds were tightened, they also tightened on the penalty ones? Because I can tell you that trying NWB to spit out any cash back was always like trying to pull teeth in my days!

(Sorry, OP, hijacking Barclays thread here!) :razz:

Bookworm, because what a call centre gives out as compensation, so technically still a refund, would then be expected under the same circumstances from the branch.

Bzzzt, compensation != refund. The two are very different beasts, and should be treated as such. Compensation is paid for your errors, the refunds are paid for funds you shouldn't have anyway.

NatWest must be a fair bank then.. you're lucky. However in Barclays we were briefed .. &quote "refunds will come out of YOUR bonus pot".

Joan .. please dont snap at me - this section of the forum is for info on the workings of banks from employees and past employees - I simply gave a fact.

If you or anyone else doubts the pressure front line staff are under at barclays.. call 08457 555 555 and ask them what an "off track stepchange" is. Then ask them what an "IVR deficit" is. And then.. as you take them over their average handling time target, ask if they are "on track" with the number of home insurance/car insurance referrals they HAVE to give.

THEN.. say the name MUMBAI.

All i am saying is there is pressure when it comes to refunds.. so write , dont call :)

Charges Reclaimed

Halifax - £192.00

Cases in progress

Lloyds TSB £400

Liverpool University £50.00