A bit of Legal Advice RE: Sale of vehicle

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2692 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Need some advise in relation to a vehicle i sold.

I advertised the vehicle locally and had a chap come down to purchase the car. He came down, and had a look at the car. I suggested we start the car up and take it for a test drive.

The buyer was in a hurry and said it's fine and he is in a hurry.

We got down to the paperwork, i showed him everything i had, service history/timing belt reciepts etc.

He was happy with everything and we did the exchanged.

I get a call in the evening and he said that the mot certificate nor the full service history was in there. He advised that the history book wasnt fully stamped, i advised that alot of it was done private which i had said at the time and it is in reciepts. He said most of the recipets are not in there.

I was adament that everything was in the folder, but he was a nice fella so i said i will have a look at home incase it's been misplaced elsewhere. I couldnt find the latest MOT cert nor any further car papers, so i got a print out from the VOSA website of all the MOT's and advised him that i will pay for a replacement MOT certificate if it isnt in there.

The buyer want's none of it and want's a refund, which i can't give him as i've already purcahsed another car. The car itself he has no issues with, and his complain is that there is no MOT certificate or full history and he wants a refund.

Can anyone advise where i stand with this? he has a sent a letter advising he will go to trading standards? I'm a private seller so unsure as to what i can do?

All help appreciated guys.

Thanks

Hi

I suggest you read the following link (about halfway down the page)

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/glos/con1item.cgi?file=*ADV0003-1011.txt

So long as the vehicle was 'as described' you should be OK

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

So he didn't ask to check the MOT, service history or V5C? His problem then. If you feel inclined, just post him a copy of the MOT. And unless you advertised it with full history, that should cover all your legal obligations.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.