How long do I have to refund a tennants deposit?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6385 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

thank you my seat is now available to others hahaha

!2 years Tesco distribution supervisor

7 years Sainsburys Transport Manager

4 Years housing officer ( Lettings )

Partner... 23 Years social services depts

All advice is given through own opition, also by seeking/searching info on behalf of poster, and own personnel dealings.

You are right its not a condition, but out of common courtesy it would be nice if you were to back up your arguments with some evidence as to what you say is correct so that other site users will know that they can act on what you say, but yet again you are avoiding this!

Therefore i would advise users to beware of anything you may have to say on any subject that you comment on. Of course the decision rests with them.

Ah....now we are getting somewhere...but first, in response to Cbanger's response...I dont recall it being a condition of this forum that one has to provide evidence of their expertise. I hope that helps settle that point.

Onto Mr Shed...we seem to be making some progress....

a) there is no law which says 28 days. You start off stating that the 'law' states 28 days (which it doesnt nor is it absolute, as has been suggested) then you make a huge retreat from that and your earlier comments on the point. I think your response to this point alone clarifies the reason for my taking up this issue. Perhaps you should reconsider who really does have the problem with housing law.

Need I say anymore.....I think the above speaks for itself.

I would like you to quote where I said the law states this. I have never at any point. In fact I would like you to retract that, any more lies attributed to my name and you may wish to brush yourself up on libel laws. And you STILL have not responded to the question I have set you.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

dontfeed.png

To get back to the original point. There is no time limit, it has to be a "reasonable" amount of time. In general, 14-28 days is considered "reasonable".

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

Return the undisputed part of the deposit ASAP, 10days is reasonable - remember the tennant may need a deposit for another rent so be fair.

The disputed part must be explained in writing to the tennant, again within 10days is reasonable. You should also have estimates for the repair (several and formal estimates). Your letting agent should advise you if you have a full management contract with them.

There is some good guidance here:

Association of Residential Letting Agents

You should also make yourself aware of the OFT guidance - there is a useful tennants guide for download here - as a landlord you will find it helpful also:

Unfair terms guidance

Hope that helps

Perhaps one or two comments by of response are needed (getting very broed).

CBanger - Its not me to prove a law doesnt exist...it is for those who claim it does to do so.

Mr Shed - please refrain from pathetic threats. Based on the level of competance you have displayed, you clearly are no match for me. Although, if your responses here are anything to go by....it would be an amsuing day out, at your expense.

Moving on. You ask me to comment on your reference to law. Here it is:

a) The law states that you must return the deposit within a reasonable time period - its in your post of 29th )ctober 06. Before that you said 28 was absolute. In the sme post you backtracked - "This is not written in law, but is decided by the courts".

I am a little tired of taking your responses apart. Are you able to go back to my original post and do the same....or do you think it might say the same as what everyone else here seems to concluding???

PS: please let me know when you are ready to file you claim, i'll let you have an address for service...you do know what that means dont you??

You have yet to take my response apart. At no time, at all, whatsoever, have I said this time is written in law. And you have STILL not answered my question regarding signed inventory - ho hum. I have pulled apart every one of your responses, and I too am bored of it.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6385 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks