BankFodder BankFodder

mikeymack2002

Late fees for self assessment *** late fees cancelled***

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2027 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi if I remember from my files I was fined for late self assessment, but called the Inland Revenue, told them I had ceased trading filed the relevant paperwork, posted it to what I thought was the local office, but they had moved.

So was fined for late returns for the same year, but two offices got involved hence the double whammy in fees, the call consisted of me stating that due to medical grounds, I was unable to work anymore, they sent a form, I duly filled it in. I was assessed as not needing to pay any tax. due to not earning enough, amount due was 0-00 to them, they said if I filled in the form and returned it they would cancel the late fees, which were 2. A total of £200-00, this was sent back to them at Cardiff.

A few weeks later another dropped in from the Leicester office, again I used the same figures and again posted this back to that office. Now my issue is that the first office said the fees would be rescinded and no further amounts would be due. I have this in writing. I forgot this debt, due to memory issues.

Now it has been some time since I have heard from the Inland Revenue until now, a debt collector has written to me on several occasions and have not responded. Till now this was due to me putting away my documents in a crazy way and place. I found the letters this week, whilst trying to get my finances sorted once and for all.

So I am after advice what to do next, does this get statute barred like civil debts?

I am on benefits and obviously have very little money spare for the foreseeable future as my medical injury is lifelong.

Thanks

MM

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Hi there

Im an accountant.....couple of questions if I may

1. What tax year are we talking about here? 2011/12 or earlier?

2. Are the tax references the same on the letters that are coming from the two tax offices?

Prior to 2011/12 penalties were automatically wiped if you didnt owe any tax, 2012 onwards the rules changed and you have to write and hope you get a sympathetic tax person looking at your case.

Ive seen several times where people have duplicate tax references - different numbers at different offices. Just because HMRC might foul up and issue duplicate returns doesnt mean you are obligated to

complete them.

If you have it in writing that fines will be wiped, copy the letter to the second tax office and the debt collection company. These third party agents are low lifes who only collect what they are told and are

usually totally unhelpful. You need to get the second tax office to speak to the first.....dont make the mistake of thinking they will do so automatically.

Card 1 - Charges reclaim £464 + Interest...ongoing

Card 2 - Charges reclaim £520 + Interest...ongoing

Card 3 - Charges reclaim £396 + £1179 Imterest **WON**

Card 4 - Charges reclaim £296 + £147 Interest **WON**

------------------------------------------------------------

4 x CCA requests

1 received.....Blank Application Form

1 received.....Terms & Conditions

1 received.....Sent agreement relating to a previous card :confused:

1 response....Have lost the agreement :)

The year in question is 2009-2010 the wipe off was said on the phone, the numbers are the same I couldn't access the gateway site, then in that June of '10 I suffered a massive stroke, having spoken to them today all enforcement is on hold.

I will attend the local office when the replacement forms arrive, but... when I was in hospital all my records for the business were dumped by my daughter so have none now whatsoever, these were dumped in 2010 when she thought I was not coming home so what now?

I will not submit false records at all. I will not be speaking to the DCA on this matter as IRS have stated its now on hold.

MM

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Okay that makes things easier....

These people arent doing you a a favour by wiping the fines in such circumstances......they would get wiped automatically the minute your SA return was processed showing nil tax payable.

In these circumstances I would attend their office armed with medical records if you can showing what problems you sufferred. In the absence of your records you really need to just prove to them

you werent capable of working during that tax year.

The fact they have placed enforcement action on hold is a good thing....it will stop the low life debt collection agents hassking you and give you time to go and see HMRC. In cases like these I have

usually found HMRC to be accomodating, providing its clear you couldnt work.

4 x CCA requests

Believe it or not I am proud to have got this far, My medical records are perfect, fully up to date from the night this happened that's all I have managed to keep straight, as can be seen from my other posts. They are sitting in my lounge bang up to date as I never know when they will be needed. I did work in the year 09-10 but at a loss, unfortunately I am unable to prove this, I can not even remember how much work or where or even what I did in reality to a point.

Your advise is great it has taken some strain away from me, in previous post on different forums I thought it was all sorted but then this, lol but this is much easier to sort so not as worried now. thx again

MM

Pleased to help :)

I deal with HMRC for a living and any accountant will tell you their standards have plummeted since they merged with Customs and Excise. They have much less staff and now hide behind a wall of these stupid call centres where you can never speak to the same person twice.

Fortunately, us accountants have a direct line we can ring and speak to usually competent staff.

Keep the thread updated, will be happy to help if they dont play ball.

4 x CCA requests

Will come back to the thread and update accordingly in the near future

MM

Just an update, I have just moved and contacted the Tax office they are re-issuing the tax form for *09*10 the year that is missing they have stated they will cancel the £200-00 late fees on its return as of yesterday, as it needs to be in hard form not electronic. They have accepted the reason for its late arrival/loss so hopefully in the next month I will have this one cleared to zero as well.

I am on a roll this month, god knows why but I am very happy as this is my final debt now.

Even my credit rating is soaring too, bank given me a credit card as well lol just happier in life now

MM

Further update. The Tax office now have the return with them, they have stated if no Tax is due then they will rescind the late fees due to extenuating circumstances.

So looking good will update final when the decision is in

Thanks for keeping us up to date - it helps others with similar problems.

I'll move this thread to the HMRC subforum as it's about tax rather than benefits.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Thx antone I am due the review of this in a few weeks and will post the results, I am hoping they rescind the 2x charges

Can Admin mark thread as success please. as after a review it turns out I owed nil tax and the 2 late fees were cancelled this week so no more debt as far as this is concerned Thanks everyone that helped