• Tweets

• And I'm sorry, you're going to have a rough time of it this morning. On at least two or three occasions, either I or my site team colleague have advised you to give a period of notice to the window company – and I even suggested in one of my most recent posts that a period of notice would be essential in order to satisfy the courts. Despite this, you appear to have sent a letter giving notice of immediate cancellation of your contract. I really have no idea why you come here and ask for advice, and get advice – similar advice from several experienced members of the site team – and then you proceed to ignore the advice and do your own thing. You absolutely need to disengage from this company. They are giving you the runaround and frankly considering you are a paying client they're treating you with contempt. By sending the letter you did, not only are you prejudicing your own situation but you are making it clear that you don't know what you're doing. If you follow the advice we give, then you will create the impression that you are in control and competent. You will have to send them another letter. You must give them notice. Even though they are clearly in the wrong and even though there is clearly something very fishy going on, you will have to make time of the essence and give them reasonable notice. I suggested seven days – you have even now used up some of that time by giving them a letter of immediate cancellation and not a letter of notice. I think you should now send them a letter informing them that unless you have a definite agreement within seven days that the work will be completed at the end of 14 days, that you will consider that the contract is terminated by their breach. Tell them that despite any written terms and conditions, it is clearly an implied term of the contract that it will be carried out within a reasonable time and that your patience is exhausted. Tell them that once you cancel the contract, they can take whatever action they want to recover any administrative fee that you won't be paying. If you're the fact that you tend to go off on your own and not follow advice, I think it would be a good idea if you put the letter together and then post the draft here so that we can check it. Slapped wrists? – Yes definitely.
    • In terms of asking us whether or not providing us with the documents we need in a certain format is important, – yes it is important. I'm very sorry but we put in a lot of work for people here and we do it all for free. We need people to provide material that makes it easier for us to help you. We use a standard Internet system – and at the very least, we expect people to have the necessary equipment, for instance a scanner, and some kind of computer to be able to engage with us. We also expect people to have at least the computer skills to be able to provide the documents we need in the format that we need. 10 or 15 years ago this might have been an unreasonable ask because the technology was much newer and not so well established and understood. Things have moved on and I think it's essential for you to acquire the necessary skills – they are not at all difficult – to be able to engage with us – and also anyone else with whom you have dealings on the Internet. I imagine that you don't have a scanner but for about £49 you can get an excellent one from Currys PC World and I think you should do that. Please remember that you are receiving advice here which might normally be charged at £300 per hour. All we ask you to do is to get scanner and you will find that it is really very easy and you will then acquire transferable skills. It is a win for you in every sense. You will have the scanner for years.
    • what time do you have to go in today? I am wondering whether it might not be a good idea to go in with the letter of claim and if there is any mucking around them to hand it to them.   We would have to draft something appropriate.   in any event I think you should prepare an sar and take it with you and hand it to them make sure that they realise what it is. Hand it to a senior manager.   Use our sar template here.   I think that they are starting to lead you around by the nose and I think that you should take control and make sure that they realise but there is only a short time before it goes legal. A letter of claim would be the best thing to do in addition to the sar     
    • The bank is yet to say if it will shed more jobs beyond the 35,000 it flagged earlier this year. View the full article
    • The bank is yet to say if it will shed more jobs beyond the 35,000 it flagged earlier this year. View the full article
  • Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

Newlyn Bailiff took £1275 from me for PREVIOUS OWNERS CAR PARKING TICKETS - HELP!!

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2520 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I bought car Yesterday, literately! with no V5 as previous Owner. Today got it insured and sent off the form to DVLA to get V5

Today in the morning we had Newlyn PLC guy clamped the car for unpaid tickets in 2012, Southwark Council was involved.

The guy had warrants against someone who owned the car that time. He was taking the car with him. I had no choice but to pay £1270! in order to avoid this he was rude I showed him Insurance certificate, receipt for the car and V5 request form that was sent to DVLA. He asked I had to pay this to avoid car being taken away but I can refund refund if am the new owner. I tried all means to convince him but in vain

My question is how I am going to proceed. Please be gentle I am not very good with legal stuff.

Regards

what?

go get that money back by chargeback

how did you pay debit card??

its NOT your debt and the bailiff should have left you alone.

dx

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Can you prove you purchased the car? For example, do you have a receipt, and name and address of the seller? Can you show some money coming out of your account?

If so, I think you may be able to sort it out directly with the council involved with the original PCNs.

It was paid by debit card PIN, so bank wont charge back.

Any court action i can take?

yes you can use chargeback

paid under duress

go get it back.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Did the bailiff show you the alleged warrant, and he did see proof you are the new owner, and not the debtor?

The bailiff has been very naughty indeed, Tort unlawful interference with goods (civil)? Demanding money with menaces? Others may well highlight what criminal offences the bailff has committed

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

At this present time both the DCLG and senior people at the Department for Transport are looking at the way in which bailiffs use ANPR to enforce unpaid parking tickets. Everything is WRONG with this type of enforcement and is made worse by the way in which the enforcement industry continually try to state that the warrant is against a VEHICLE.

NO IT IS NOT !!!!!

The warrant is against an INDIVIDUAL PERSON and the problem that has arisen is due ONLY to the fact that on the warrant is states the VRM of the car !!!! I really do hope that the government stop this dreadful means of enforcement.

Rant over...back to the question:

Sadly, it is going to be very difficult to provide satisfactory advice if you are only able to provide one word answers to queries.

From a GREAT deal of experience, it is the case that individuals that have a lot of parking tickets have been known to "sell" a vehicle to a partner, friend, relative etc in the mistaken belief that by disposing of the asset a bailiff cannot easily enforce the warrants. Even worse, is where a debtor will remove a clamp from a car....hide the car for a few weeks and then "sell" the vehicle.

Whilst it is perfectly legal to "transfer" or 'sell" an asset BEFORE seizure debtors need to be aware that if car has previously been 'seized: (clamped) etc then even if sold, the bailiff may still take the car. This happens very frequently.

Because of the frequency in which assets ( in particular a car) are 'sold' bailiff companies become suspicious as to whether the sale was 'genuine' and it is for this reason that they will require NEW OWNERS to provide sufficient evidence as proof.

In this respect, they will be asking for evidence of a proper receipt, proof of payment, evidence that the car had been advertised for sale and insurance. I appreciate that such evidence can be difficult but I am merely stating the requirements that most bailiff companies will be looking for.

If you are considering a "chargeback" then YES this can be done but a word of warning. There are simply endless websites that suggest "chargebacks' against credit ( and sometimes debit cards) but the pitfalls of this are that once the bailiff company are aware of the chargeback the warrant will once again be assigned to a bailiff and IF the bailiff locates the car ( by ANPR) it will very likely NOT be clamped and instead, the car will be removed to the car pound. Such action will add significant additional fees to the account ( including storage fee of approx £30 per day). Furthermore, because of the 'chargeback' it is common for bailiff companies to insist that the car will ONLY be released if payment is made IN CASH.

I do not for one moment want to worry you but I am merely pointing out the FACTS.

Payment of the PCN is the responsibility of the PREVIOUS OWNER and you can take a civil action against him.

If you can provide any evidence of a genuine sale this would help you a great deal.

PS: The warrant has a "life" of 12 months.

Lastly, have you spoken to the previous owner?

Personally I would have called the Police, he had no warrant to enforce against you and the vehicle was legally yours removing the vehicle without a warrant is theft.

Which begs the question, why on earth didn't the OP call the police? Surely that would be the first thing one would do under the circumstances?

If insurance was shown in your name and was taken out before the clamp then the bailiff should have released car. I would have let him take it then show the council what they have done. People say they are new keepers all the time and it is very easy to establish who is telling the truth.

tomtubby, surely there is a similar method of making a third party claim in this matter to that used HCE cases even if this claim was to the monies paid after the event?

tomtubby, surely there is a similar method of making a third party claim in this matter to that used HCE cases even if this claim was to the monies paid after the event?

The 'Third Party Claim' used by all HCE companies works fine and I am at a loss to understand why the government should even consider Part 6. It could be too late though as the MOJ team seem intent on introducing this provision.

PS: The original poster has failed to update the thread !!!

I believe they have had help from another Forum that deals with dogs!

I used to be a werewolf but I'm all right NOWWWWWWWOOOOOOO

Would be good for Op to post back how they got on

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

I have just read the thread on the other forum and I am very concerned to hear that after payment had been made the bailiff provided a receipt and addressed this to the PREVIOUS OWNER.

It is therefore clear that the bailiff ACKNOWLEDGED that the person know he was speaking to was NOT the debtor and accordingly, he should have removed the clamp and advised Southwark Council.

Furthermore, given the above, the bailiff appears to have failed to abide by the National Standards and should NOT have been discussing this matter with a person who the bailiff KNEW was not the debtor.

Lastly, I am in the process of submitting a very detailed report to the Secretary of State for Transport and the Information Commissioners Office regarding the astonishing way in which parking details are enforced by bailiffs.

The above case proves yet again that the bailiff considers that the CAR is responsible for the debt instead of the DEBTOR. The vehicle number plate MUST be removed from the warrants to stop this happening.