Sky refusing cancellation request

Surfer01

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2705 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Yesterday I logged into the Sky website and went to my account to downgrade. I requested that the HD subscription be removed as with our eyesights, we cannot see the difference between standard TV and the HD channels. I advised that I was aware of the 31 day cancellation period. I emphasise that I was logged in when the email was sent.

Today I have received an email rejecting the request as per the following;

We have received a request to make a change to your Sky account.

Unfortunately we don’t have all the security information we require to be able to process the request. To complete this action we need to speak to you as we don’t recommend providing security details in writing.

We need you to contact us on 08442 410 973 to confirm the security information which will allow us to complete the request.

If we do not hear from you then we will take no action on your account, meaning all details and/or services will remain unchanged and active. If you do not want us to process any request on your account then no further action is required from you

We look forward to hearing from you.

Can they reject my request even though I can upgrade without any security checks etc and the fact that I was logged in. We do not want to phone them as the 0844 number is chargeable by the minute and you can spend up to 20 minutes on the phone.

Hi,

As per usual they do not like downgrades, I'll ask a Site Team member to have a look at this thread.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hang on! By logging into the website, you are using security. How many other people know your password. Did you set up a different password when you opened the account with Sky?

The phone call will be an attempt to make you keep the package

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Having the same problem trying to cancel the entire subscription package. Despite logging onto the site via a password they won't let you cancel online. After a short, brief and clear note sent by RD I got exactly the same response back - phone us, we want to try and persuade you to stay. Has anyone ever queried their stance on this with trading standards, OFT, Ofcom etc?

It the new dpa that has been imposed that is causing this problem

Just repsond ensuring that you have completed your full name (if you are the account holder), address and include the password on the account sky account (not your online account as this is prob different)

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

It the new dpa that has been imposed that is causing this problem

Just repsond ensuring that you have completed your full name (if you are the account holder), address and include the password on the account sky account (not your online account as this is prob different)

Thanks but I was logged in when the message to downgrade was sent so all security protocols in place. If you upgrade there is no issue and it happens almost immediately so not sure why the difference?

Eventually I decided to phone Sky to check whether they were honouring my request to downgrade. They stated no as they needed to do the security checks. I asked why are we able to upgrade but cannot downgrade Online. She kept trotting out the line of "security", but could not answer the question regarding upgrading. Seems Sky have now outsourced their call centre to India making it even more difficult to downgrade.

I queried why the completed form and request for downgrade was not acceptable pointing out that it was completed while logged in as this indicated that the Sky website had security flaws. Of course no answer to this except to bleat on about security to downgrade. Really riled me.

Anyway to cut a long story short, they agreed to downgrade me immediately however as we had a number of HD recorded programs on ITV I had to declined and request the original date.

i "think" it was ofcom that imposed that additional securty is required to confirm that it is indeed the account holder requesting to cancel via email and letter and not a password holder and made it the same as anyone setting up an account.

I do think sky need to add an additional option on the info tab on the contact us option to include this and i believe this is something they are working on

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

i "think" it was ofcom that imposed that additional securty is required to confirm that it is indeed the account holder requesting to cancel via email and letter and not a password holder and made it the same as anyone setting up an account.

I do think sky need to add an additional option on the info tab on the contact us option to include this and i believe this is something they are working on

However no security protocols when you upgrade and that is virtually instant!

However no security protocols when you upgrade and that is virtually instant!

Its to do with who can do what.

Only the named account holder can set up an account and cancel it.

A password holder can discuss and make changes. (this relates to your actual account not online password)

As you are requesting a cancellation of a product (HD) and not a downgrade/change thats where the added security comes in.

Anyhoo .......have you got this done yet?

• 2 months later...

I've had the same response. I have answered security question emails three times. They still insist I call or they will cancel my cancellation request.

They want to phone in order to pressurise you with the hard sell. They are no better than other [problem] merchants. Stand your ground and don't be bullied, I won't.

• 3 months later...

HD packs work as a service rather than an upgrade, just how it is on the systems. Chordiant - ancient and slow. Anyway, that may be why they ask you to call in. I used to work in call centre, i dont know about your online rights but I know that HD pack works differently to upgrading packages such as sports and movies. And yes the account holder is the only one with permission to make this change - maybe thats where online becomes a bit grey.